PDA

View Full Version : We're back from DL

Twoboos
04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
I have to write up a trip report, I'll add it onto here in a few days. But let's just say it was AWESOME and I want to go back tomorrow. So, so fun. There were highlights (being picked to open the park gates!) and lowlights (DD2 pukes in front of the Rapunzel meet-n-greet w/10mins to go before they open the doors!). But overall it was fabulous and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I can't believe I've turned into "one of those" Disney people!! :p

Twoboos
04-25-2011, 09:30 PM
So this is LOOOONG and rambly. But I loved it and I know you guys will appreciate it. I want to go back tomorrow. (OH holy cow, I just saw this posted and it's SO LONG!!! Please don't doze off.... ETA: OK, I cut some. Boy I can go on. And on. Hope this is better.)

Took DL Express bus from SNA. The driver was kind enough to wait about 10mins for us to get our luggage. Which was great b/c we would have waited another hour for the next bus.

Day 1:
Had Magic Morning, so could enter the park an hour before opening, so at 7am. Had our “1st Visit” pins and I had my Birthday pin. :) We were selected as one of the 4 families to help open the park/gates. We went through the turnstiles and lined up in front, gave a 10-1 countdown, threw up our hands and yelled, “Let the magic begin!!” and then we turned and took off down Main Street. We were literally the first people down Main St. We have a video of DDs running down, and us chasing them, and the crowd following behind.

We did all of Fantasyland by about 8:15am, including Nemo (Why would anyone wait 45min in line for this??) and Space Mtn. Then went to ToonTown Morning Madness. Saw about half the show and then met Mickey & Minnie, they were our first autographs/character meets so it was PERFECT!!!

Blue Bayou for dinner, meh. I’ve done it once and won’t do it again. The kids barely ate so that was a big waste of money, but they were starting to get sick. Of course.

Day 2:
Minnie & Friends breakfast, had 7:10 reservation. Fabulous character interaction. They met at least 12 characters, and they spent a lot of time with DDs b/c it wasn’t crowded at that point. At 10am we went to line up at Tangled (opened at 11). DD2 was definitely not feeling well, complaining and asking to go home. But it was getting hot and we put the stroller in the shade and told her we were almost done. (Evil, mean mommy!) At 10:50 she hurls at the Pinocchio exit, just to the left of Rapunzel’s door. OOPS!!! But after that she felt a little better and God forgive me, we stayed and waited the 10mins to meet Rapunzel. We were first in line!!! FIRST, how could we leave?! Rapunzel comes out and grabs DDs by the hands and brings them into her house. They were thrilled. (And I advised Rapunzel's handlers that she should be Purelled....)

Later in the aftn went to DCA. Saw the Aladdin show which was AMAZING. We were in the first row of the 2nd section. When Aladdin’s parade came down the aisle, DD1 jumped up and yelled "HI!!" at him and he turned and gave her a big blinding smile and waved and said hi back to her. She was glowing the rest of the aftn from this. This was truly great and I’m so glad we saw it. The Genie was hilarious.

Day 3:
DCA again. DH and DD1 did Screamin and loved it. TSMM was SO freakin’ FUN!! Did Soarin’ which was really cool.

Lunch w/the princesses at Ariel’s Grotto. Food was all right. Drinks were a plus. DDs were thrilled to meet everyone. Aurora/Sleeping Beauty seemed a little... rushed? Forced? Like she was plowing through to get it done. (You know the scene in "A Christmas Story" when Ralphie finally meets Santa and they are just pushing him through? Turn around! Up on lap! Smile! Pic! Whaddaya want?! Off lap! Down slide! It felt like that.)

Dinner at DCA, soup/bread bowls from Pacific Wharf Cafe - YUM! Did The Animation studio, loved the Sorcerer’s room and we ALL loved the Animation Academy. We did Daisy Duck and they came out pretty decent! We will probably mat/frame those if we ever have a finished basement or other area to display them together.

Day 4:
Not as early for MM as on Sat, which was killing me. Our timing was really a mess.

All in all, it was nearly perfect. Another half day and I think we could have fit in the rest (namely Jedi Training Academy, can't believe we didn't get to it, and meeting Jasmine). I would stay at Grand Cali again, no question. It was SO close, and gorgeous. The location cannot be beat. We were totally spoiled. I wish we had more time/better weather to use the pool (although DH and DD1 did use it once) and maybe the spa.

As far as crowds, Sat/Sun were the LESS busy days. We really rocked Sat morning until noon. Mon and Tues were a complete zoo the entire time, even the mornings. Plus it seemed to be band weekend or something, there were a lot of matching tshirts around.

Ok, need to find some other way to spend my time now since this trip is over. Maybe I just need to plan another one. SIL and her fam are maybe going in Sept, and I'm SO jealous!! :)

WatchingThemGrow
04-25-2011, 09:50 PM
IThere were highlights (being picked to open the park gates!) and lowlights (DD2 pukes in front of the Rapunzel meet-n-greet w/10mins to go before they open the doors!).
I can't wait to read it, but I'm laughing so hard that it'll be a while... poor thing.

liz
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like a great time!

alien_host
04-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Great report, it sounds like a great time (minus the puking ;)).

I can't believe you got picked to open the park, that is such a cool memory for your first trip!

I so want to go back to DL to do DCA....eventhough we are going to WDW soon, you can never have enough Disney, IMO :D

Oh and the band thing...one mom was telling me her husband was at DL for a marching band thing last week.

peanut520
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Glad you had such great time!!

TwinFoxes
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
GREAT trip report! I got homesick reading this (no I didn't live in DL, but we had annual passes, and I miss it so, so much!) I'm so glad you had a great time. I love that you got to open the park!!! I'm sure as long as Rapunzel wasn't thrown up ON, she didn't care. ;) Yay for you!

AnnieW625
04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the trip report. Last week and this week are also spring break in this area so it will be crowded. Doesn't surprise me that it was crowded on Monday and Tuesday.

I did Disney Magic Music Days in jr. high, 1990 and it was fun! Splash Mountain had just opened then. Wow, can't believe Splash Mountain is 21 yrs. old!

That's cool that you got to open the park. DH's fave ride is California Screamin' (I don't have the guts to do it!). We really must make an attempt to explore more at DCA next time we go, but there is always a wait for Soarin' and Toy Story Mania.

sariana
04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Annie, it's funny you should mention Splash Mountain. It's currently closed for refurbishment. I guess someone else realized it was 21 years old--and ready for a "refresh," I guess!

DH says we won't be returning to DL until both DC are old enough to ride all the rides (not just tall enough, but also not scaredy-cats!). We'll see.