PDA

View Full Version : Ordered our Little Man's New Carseat..quest

Alivin
04-24-2011, 11:16 PM
I just ordered a Britax Advocate 70 CS for our 11 month old DS who is 18lbs, and possibly 30 inches! LOL We measured him in the house today!

Question-Do you think it will fit in the middle seat RF of my Kia Sportage???

Question-If he can't be in the middle seat, which side is safer? I always thought passenger side for getting him out of the car near sidewalks and so i could also see him better in the car, is this correct?

Question-What is this talk about tethering? Do I need to do something different?

mom2binsd
04-25-2011, 12:51 AM
The middle is safest as long as you can get a good install- only use latch if you car allows it, if not use the seatbelt. But with the Advocate seat you are fine outboard, and drivers seat is probably most convenient.

You can tether that seat in the rear facing mode (only Britax and Sunshine Kids allow for RF tethering). The seat comes with a strap attached to the top, and another piece called a D ring, you should watch a youtube video on rear facing tethering to see what they mean. Basically you find a non moving part of the seat in front that you can wrap the d ring around and attach the tether too it.

It's not required but it's felt that it provides extra protection in event of a crash.

Alivin
04-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Ok and if we couldn't use the latch with our chicco key fit 30 because the middle seat didn't have latch hooks, is it safe to assume that we can't latch with the advocate in the middle or can we not even latch in the other seats?

Joolsplus2
04-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Ok and if we couldn't use the latch with our chicco key fit 30 because the middle seat didn't have latch hooks, is it safe to assume that we can't latch with the advocate in the middle or can we not even latch in the other seats?

Yup, it'll be the same thing. The Britax has lockoffs, too, though, so if the center works, that's fine. Crash-statistic wise, it doesn't matter what side you put it on if you have to move it outboard, but you are right about convenience-wise, passenger side is usually way easier :)

Here's the video for tying the tether connector strap down for RF tethering... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upADev-UrM

Alivin
04-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Ok thanks for that info and the video. I am really hoping it will fit in the middle and I can use the seatbelt to install since I know know the LATCH wont work for the Advocate in our car either!!