PDA

View Full Version : Electronic kit for 7 year old

KrisM
04-25-2011, 05:07 PM
DS1 would like more electronic stuff. He has Snap Circuits and enjoys it, but my dad has shown him real stuff and he wants that. He has some resistors and a volt-meter and likes measuring voltage and having us quiz him on resistor values. So, we're looking for the next step that is still kid-friendly. I was thinking of the Elenco 130-in-1 Electronic Lab (http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Sports-Cards-MX-906-Electronic/dp/B00005K2SY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1303765628&sr=1-2). Anyone have this or another idea?

ellies mom
04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
That is similar to what we used in the electronic refresher classes at my old job. While personally I prefer breadboard "connectors", I think the springs will be a lot easier for a child to manage. It seems to be a good next step, especially for the price. It is kind of hard to tell because the picture is not clear and the specs given are vague but it seems like it has a lot of room for your child to grow. There are some of the basic logic gates, which is nice. It does seem like it would be a good bridge to the next level.

KrisM
04-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. I HATED my electrical engineering class, so this is hard for me :). My dad is an EE though. I think we'll get that one or another of the same type. I'm happy to see him that interested in something!