PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn Remedies (...w/o Sugar)

BayGirl2
04-25-2011, 06:11 PM
I've already started having heartburn and I'm not even 20 weeks yet. (I swear, this baby is either 2 months further along than measured or there are twins in there, how can it be kicking in my rib cage so early?) Last pregnancy the only thing that worked well for me were Rolaids soft chews. Tums didn't ever do much, and I didn't try other OTS meds.

Now I don't eat sugar at all (for totally non-pregnancy-related reasons), and the Rolaids are all sugar and corn syrup. I need to figure out something else to take that will work. I've never had HB except for in pregnancy so not an area I've really experimented with.

Any suggestions?

Pinky
04-25-2011, 06:20 PM
OTC generic Pepcid (famotidine) taken on a regular basis will be helpful.

Mommy_Mea
04-25-2011, 07:31 PM
My remedy is Mylanta for after the fact relief. But I have been needing to take Zantac before dinner at night, otherwise the heartburn keeps me up all night... I have also raised the head of the bed, and I am eating very small dinners and nothing a few hours before bed.

Claki
04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I know you aren't a fan of Tums, but you might want to try my "method." I take two peppermint Tums, and tuck one in each cheek and let them dissolve. It takes over an hour and I get so much relief! But if I don't tuck them in my cheek they dissolve too quickly and it doesn't work.

indigo99
04-25-2011, 11:30 PM
I use Tums. Yes it does have some sugar (2 grams for 2 tablets I think), but I don't think it actually has corn syrup. It has regular sucrose and corn starch which, as far as I an understand, is more like a corn flour.

I had bad heartburn from almost the beginning with DS and have had moderate heartburn since about week 8 with this one. Tums before bed works for me, and I like getting the extra calcium. I do chew them before brushing my teeth though so that I can clean off the sugar.

okinawama
04-25-2011, 11:53 PM
I eat a banana and it really helps.

AshleyAnn
04-25-2011, 11:56 PM
I had terrible acid reflux and the only thing that made eating possible was zantac75. You need to take it with a full glass of water to make it work but it was amazing. My OB said the 150mg tablets were fine but I found it was most effective to take the 75mg tablets at shorter intervals.

Dream
04-26-2011, 04:15 AM
Yogurt and a glass of milk used to take care of my heartburn.

eh613c
04-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Yogurt and a glass of milk used to take care of my heartburn.

This helped me out too. Plus, I ate smaller meals and ate more frequently. I get the worse heartburn at night so I had most of my calories during the day and ate very little at night.

alexmommy
04-26-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm dealing with this too. Doesn't help that I'm on bedrest (still!) and taking progesterone shots (which relax all muscles, including stomach muscles). I've been popping Tums, drinking lots of water, and trying to eat smaller meals. I find it's worse with spicy or gassy foods. I also try to elevate my head as much as possible. My dr said if I need to take 15 Tums a day, then to use Zantac. GL!

salsah
04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
i drank milk. and tried to avoid foods that made it much worse (everything gave me heartburn, but some foods were worse than others).

echoesofspring
04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I found greasy/fatty foods at night definitely affected me - i.e. I couldn't eat 'real' ice cream, but 1/2 fat ice cream was ok.

my rn/midwife also turned me onto papaya enzymes as a digestive aid, and they really worked for me. The ones I have right now are from trader joes and do have fructose in them, but our nat. foods store had a bunch of different brands so you might find one w/out sugar.

secchick
04-26-2011, 05:03 PM
With DD it got so bad I just got on the prescription Prevacid. Last two times, I keep bottles of Maalox everywhere. It looks like it is saccharin and sorbitol for sweeteners.

BayGirl2
04-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll try maalox. Tums never worked for me, neither did milk, bananas or any food. I get hb all through the day,even while sitting up at my desk.