PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid gals - anyone tried tirosint?

tiapam
04-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Has anyone tried this:

http://www.tirosintgelcaps.com/index.php?page=home

I am hoping this could be the answer to my prayers. I had blood tests today, when I talk to the doc I am going to ask for a trial of this.

I am currently trying combo therapy with generic Synthroid and generic Cytomel. But, immediately before, I think I may have given up too soon on Naturethroid after reading this:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mistakes-patients-make/

I had the most fabulous week on this stuff. And then I went back to feeling pretty much the same as before. It sounds like that is common and the drugs just need tweaking. My doc is not keen on that.

Sigh, back to the drawing board.

Today I asked the endo about Hashimoto's so many times, he finally gave in and did antibodies tests. Persistence pays off!

I will update after I get results back.

tiapam
05-11-2011, 12:42 AM
OK, I got an Rx for Tirosint and will start it tomorrow. It was $20.95 with my insurance which only paid $9 towards it. My generic levothyroxine was only costing me about $7. Oh well, it could be worse. It comes in weekly blister packs.

I did get test results back and am hypo. 5.05 or so. The doc did increase the dosage along with the change to Tirosint. I am starting to realize that this has been poorly managed by various doctors for ten years now. UGH. And being hypo makes it really hard to understand and "manage" it myself.

I will update on the Tirosint but if it does help it will probably take about a month for me to feel any difference. I will continue to take synthetic Cytomel in a separate pill.

Hugs to all the thyroid gals. Including the ones who are in denial!

tiapam
06-19-2011, 05:48 PM
so i have been on the tirosint (and still taking cytomel) for at least a month now. i would say i have felt a difference which is probably due to the dosage increase. and i want another dosage increase. so i am feeling a little more energetic some of the time. the biggest improvement has been mentally, i think, i feel consistently more clear headed than usual. so i have been a little bit more productive and able to make decisions more easily and often.

i'll report back any thing else that might help someone. if another dosage increase does not help me i am going to ask to go back on naturethroid and also may look into getting some paid guidance in my test results and meds, other than a doctor. i just have such a hard time doing the detailed research and analysis and i don't trust my doc to be any good at it either. :(

tiapam
06-20-2011, 12:32 PM
of course i forgot to mention two important things. since i started on the tirosint i have noticed that my chronic congestion is trying (with noticeable but not miraculous difference) to clear itself up. as in i am doing nothing else to try to correct it right now and stuff is "spontaneously" trying to get out. the only other time that has happened was when i was pregnant and i attributed that to drinking more water, which i am not very good about doing right now. it reinforces for me the belief that allergies, sinus, general congestion, etc. is def related to my thyroid. so that is FYI, in case anyone deals with seemingly chronic congestion esp if it does not respond to treatment and/or always comes back. you should def have your thyroid checked if that is the case.

second thing, i read other reviews online of tirosint and some who have tried it complain of pain, sounds like mostly in the joints. i have that but i had it before the tirosint and i don't think it is any worse. what people describe sounds like how my body felt when i was pretty hyper so it could be a dosage thing that might resolve itself when the body adjusts.

niccig
06-20-2011, 02:21 PM
I hope this works out for you. Thanks for updating.

MontrealMum
06-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Thank you so much for posting about your experience! I am in the midst of tests and a re-evaluation of my treatment (a rather long process), so I welcome any new info about available treatments. I am especially interested in what you said about your chronic congestion. Luckily I have an appointment next week, so I'll bring this up then!

tiapam
06-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Thank you so much for posting about your experience! I am in the midst of tests and a re-evaluation of my treatment (a rather long process), so I welcome any new info about available treatments. I am especially interested in what you said about your chronic congestion. Luckily I have an appointment next week, so I'll bring this up then!

You know when I got pregnant they always increased my thyroid meds, so that increase may have been a factor then as well, and not just the water. Boy my brain fog is so bad, it took me a few days to "remember" this.

One other thing, since I made these two changes (med and dosage) I have read that it is best to change just one thing at a time. So I probably should have increased first and then switched. Or vice versa, but I def needed the increase.

I really think I will wind up asking to go back on Naturethroid, in spite of the fact that it was reformulated and I might have to play around with how to take it (crushed or something). It was the only thing that has made me feel fabulous (though briefly) in the last ten years or so. I think I was taking the drug while they switched over so that may explain my issues, but if i can get that feeling back...

tiapam
09-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Just coming back to say I have gone off the Tirosint because of achiness (for lack of a better way to describe it). I am achy but it got much worse on the Tirosint. So I am back on levothyroxine and liothyronine and hoping to go back to something natural soon.