PDA

View Full Version : Age for yogurt?

KrystalS
04-26-2011, 09:57 AM
DS will be 7 mos next week, is he old enough for yogurt? He loves food and wants to try everything I'm eating! I have seen the Yobaby yogurt, is it necessary to use this kind or can I just buy regular yogurt?

llama8
04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
My DD was having Yobaby yogurt by then. She is 17 months and still loves them.

As long as there is no dairy allergy, it is fine.

Yo baby is organic with no additives and very little sugar. The ingredients are made for babies digestive systems. I guess regular yogurt would be ok, but watch the sugar content. Some are really junk food.

BabyBearsMom
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
DD started yogurt around 7 months and still loves it. I used to just give her some of my yogurt when I was eating it (I eat organic Greek yogurt) and she would eat off of my spoon. Now that she is 1, I give her YoBaby or the TJ brand yogurt, but I wouldn't have when she was so little because she didn't eat much and the thought of keeping open yogurt grosses me out.

Mommy_Mea
04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I started DS on yogurt shortly after we started solids at 6 months. I bought the 32 oz containers of plain whole milk Stonyfield yogurt. It is cheaper than Yobaby, and has no added sweeteners. DS loves plain yogurt!

wellyes
04-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Buy plain whole fat yogurt, it's better for them. No reason to encourage a sweet tooth!

KrystalS
04-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks everyone! I will just look for the organic yogurt or check the sugar. I found some coupons for Yobaby so I'll buy those as long as I have coupons.

ohsara430
04-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Around 7 months is when we started DD on plain full fat yogurt. I buy this http://www.stonyfield.com/products/stonyfield/whole-milk/32oz-smooth-and-creamy/plain . Stonyfield also makes the yobaby but around here for the price of yobaby singles I can buy the 32 oz and mix in some fruit puree if I feel like it. DD likes it plain though.

ETA: you can sign up on the stonyfield website to print coupons too

Uno-Mom
04-26-2011, 11:34 AM
We started about that age, too. We expected a dramatic first taste since yogurt is so strong. Had the video set up an everything. Nope, she gobbled down the straight stuff and said "mmmm". It's still a favorite.

We buy plain Tillamook yogurt or plain full fat greek yogurt (Zoi).

artvandalay
04-26-2011, 11:42 AM
DD is 11 months old, I've been giving her full fat Greek Yogurt (Fage Total) for about 2 months. She loves it. I'm having a hard time finding the full fat version in stores, though. So the past couple of times she's had the 2%.

Some of the yogurts marketed to babies/kids have sugar in them so I prefer to just stick with Fage. I eat it myself with some honey and it's fantastic.

citymama
04-26-2011, 01:08 PM
We only just started it at 11 months with DD2. But we didn't really start "solids" with her till 8 months bc she wasn't at all interested.

With DD1, I think we started yogurt at around 8 months. Full fat Greek yogurt is the way to go!

ijopint
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
I started DD at 6 months when she started solids. Plain whole yogurt and i add chopped fruits on it ,then cottage cheese and any cheeses(muester, mozzarella etc. DD thankfully does not have any reactions on any of the foods we gave her but still cautious about seafood.

AnnieW625
04-26-2011, 02:10 PM
We started at 7 months with both girls. We do either the Yo Baby or the whole milk 4 oz. cups from Trader Joe's (usually the Trader Joe's one though). Don't care if it is sweetened or not.

mikala
04-26-2011, 02:45 PM
We started around 7-8 months and it sounded like that was fine unless you have a history of milk allergies or your ped recommends otherwise. You can also just do plain whole-milk yogurt and stir some microwaved and mashed frozen fruit or a spoonful of your favorite puree.

Giantbear
04-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Beware the yogurt, DD loved it so much, ever since we introduced it, we have intermittent trouble getting her to eat anything else.

soon2b4
04-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Sorry, OP, for the hijack, but I have a question...
I have digestive trouble when I eat Greek yogurt - regular yogurt, no problem. Any thought on this for a LO?

artvandalay
04-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Sorry, OP, for the hijack, but I have a question...
I have digestive trouble when I eat Greek yogurt - regular yogurt, no problem. Any thought on this for a LO?

I would just try it and see what happens. There are lots of different Greek yogurts, too. You can try a couple and see.

*Can I hijack your hijack? lol

I can't find full fat Greek Yogurt anywhere. I went to my local Jewel Osco yesterday and everything is low fat, 2% Fat or Fat Free. They used to carry Full Fat Fage, but stopped. What other brand should I look for?

EDIT: I don't have Trader Joe's near me, so that is not an option. It has to be something a big chain would carry.

persephonefalls
05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
We started my daughter on yogurt when we started her on solid food, at six months, and she loves it.

Frugal note: my husband makes his own yogurt from milk, and it's super easy and cheap. He and my daughter eat it all the time.