PDA

View Full Version : ??? for those who have returned to Lands End

pjsmom30
04-26-2011, 10:05 AM
So, I hear some of you talking about Lands End, and the fact that you can return clothes at any time for any reason as long as you have the order number (from what a CS rep told me, you don't need the actual receipt, as they will look it up. I guess you need a receipt if you bought at the store).

Do any of you do this on a regular basis? Do you get flagged for returning too many items? I am just considering if it makes sense to buy mostly Lands End clothes for the boys, as I like the style and the quality, even though it is more expensive sometimes, and then return things as they grow out of them. By then there is wear and tear, and likely fading, that will be reason for return. I have not always been satisfied with the way thing hold up to washings and play compared to the cost.

Or is this just unethical?

Thoughts appreciated!

kara97210
04-26-2011, 10:12 AM
I think it's unethical to return clothes that have been worn. I order clothes from LE and other sites and if I wear them (outside of quickly trying them on to see if they fit), I wouldn't return them.

pjsmom30
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
I think it's unethical to return clothes that have been worn. I order clothes from LE and other sites and if I wear them (outside of quickly trying them on to see if they fit), I wouldn't return them.

Even if something goes wrong with the item? Like I had the seam come loose on a skort that I LOVED from Lands End, and so I returned it for a new one even though I had worn it a bunch of times.

I am only asking this, because I have gotten the impression from some posts that people buy, planning to return later. Maybe I got the wrong impression.

roobee
04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
I would never do that - and I like to think that no one else does that either. I'll buy/return things and work a sale to my best advantage, but I don't "wardrobe" my family season after season by taking advantage of a generous return policy.

pjsmom30
04-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Guaranteed. Period.

The Lands' End guarantee has always been an unconditional one. It reads: "If you're not satisfied with any item, simply return it to us at any time for an exchange or refund of its purchase price." We mean every word of it. Whatever. Whenever. Always. But to make sure this is perfectly clear, we've decided to simplify it further. Guaranteed. Period.®

I'd like to return this taxi, please.

As you'd expect, over the years our guarantee has been put to the test. We've been given countless opportunities to demonstrate our commitment to customer satisfaction and our willingness to stand behind the products we sell - though none more demonstrative than the return and refund of an original London taxi.
Featured on the cover of our 1984 holiday catalog, the taxi was purchased for $19,000 by a Kansas native as a gift for her husband (an avid car collector). In 2005, her husband contacted Lands' End and expressed interest in returning the car for a full refund. Of course, we obliged - because whether your purchase includes a tote or a taxi, your satisfaction is Guaranteed. Period.®

ssjarrett
04-26-2011, 10:19 AM
I would agree that it would be unethical to return clothes that have simply worn out. My boys wear mostly Lands End and while they definitely last a long time, eventually, they too wear out. I would never consider returning pants that got a hole in the knee/faded/etc. after lots of use! (and fyi, this has only happend to 2 pairs of ours after probably 2 years+ wear).

I have only ever returned two things to Lands End that were defective--one shirt of mine had a hole at the neck after one washing, and the other was a pair of kids mittens that had a hole in the lining from the get go.

All clothes will wear out eventually, but I do think that Lands End lasts better than most. It is convenient to order various sizes to see what fits and then return to Sears, but I don't think the point of their generous return policy is to let people return things that just simply wear out over time.

ett
04-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I only return worn clothes if something defective happens to them before I feel they should have. Like I recently returned a pair of climber pants that developed a hole on the bottom area after about 6 months. I feel that should not not happen. I don't return clothes that get worn out from normal wear and tear after the kids outgrown them. That is unethical. I hope nobody would do that.

LMPC
04-26-2011, 10:21 AM
I return LE stuff when it doesn't fit or the color is not what I expect....but it's always before I have worn it. If there was clearly a defect, then I would take it back after I had worn and washed it. But I think it's unethical to return items that have normal wear and tear (e.g., a seam unravel after many wears and washes or colors fading from washing).

chozen
04-26-2011, 10:22 AM
So, I hear some of you talking about Lands End, and the fact that you can return clothes at any time for any reason as long as you have the order number (from what a CS rep told me, you don't need the actual receipt, as they will look it up. I guess you need a receipt if you bought at the store).

Do any of you do this on a regular basis? Do you get flagged for returning too many items? I am just considering if it makes sense to buy mostly Lands End clothes for the boys, as I like the style and the quality, even though it is more expensive sometimes, and then return things as they grow out of them. By then there is wear and tear, and likely fading, that will be reason for return.

Thoughts appreciated!

not a good idea, they will catch on. i worked at sears awhile ago and yes they do flag you, and even if they did'nt it still isn't the right thing to do.

dylansnan
04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
It's my impression that people who are buying with the plan to return, are buying items in different sizes, or slightly different styles, and planning to return the items that don't work, knowing it'll be an easy process.

I wouldn't buy things with the thinking that after we get our use out of them, we can return them.

I did return a pair of shoes, after having them a year- I felt they were defective. They were winter slip-ons that I bought in march, wore occasionally for a month or so, and the seams started to come out. I just didn't get around to returning them until the next winter

larig
Even if something goes wrong with the item? Like I had the seam come loose on a skort that I LOVED from Lands End, and so I returned it for a new one even though I had worn it a bunch of times.

I am only asking this, because I have gotten the impression from some posts that people buy, planning to return later. Maybe I got the wrong impression.

DH had an expensive outdoor windbreaker/waterproof jacket that he got from lands' end ($90). It was an awesome coat. After a year the zipper broke, so we returned it. I didn't feel bad about it, because we got another coat in its place, from LE. It was in great shape other than the zip, and I thought it could have been worn many more years if the zipper had not broken.

With DS if he had pants that he wore out AND he outgrew, I probably wouldn't return. I would return if I felt the item had come apart/worn out before I feel their expected lifetime is over (like pants worn three months that had been worn through knees).

ett
Guaranteed. Period.

The Lands' End guarantee has always been an unconditional one. It reads: "If you're not satisfied with any item, simply return it to us at any time for an exchange or refund of its purchase price."

But it doesn't mean if the clothes wore out after years of use, I wasn't satisfied with it. I was satisfied with the amount of wear I got for the price I paid. No piece of clothing is going to last forever.

elbenn
I would only return them if there are significant defects with the clothing or if they are brand new, never worn. I think the example of the skort with the hem coming undone was fine to return, but if something fades after much use, then I don't think it should be returned. If it fades after only one washing and it was washed properly, it would be okay to return it.

alien_host
04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I only return worn clothes if something defective happens to them before I feel they should have. Like I recently returned a pair of climber pants that developed a hole on the bottom area after about 6 months. I feel that should not not happen. I don't return clothes that get worn out from normal wear and tear after the kids outgrown them. That is unethical. I hope nobody would do that.

I agree with the above. If something is defective or falls apart shortly after wearing it then yes, take it back. BUT if you use something for a year or two and then take it back I think that is taking advantage of the company and is not really in the spirit of what the return policy is about.

I think if a lot of people returned just b/c they are "done" with it or don't like it after a year, then companies like LE will stop offering those kind of polices and/or raise prices to compensate and that hurts everyone, IMO.

secchick
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
When I was in HS, I had a friend who worked at Target, when their return policy was good. There were "regulars" who would return their kids shoes and other clothing for a new pair every 89 days. I believe it is unethical, and that people who do such things, eventually are the reason behind the changes in return policies at so many stores. Defective items, sure. Outgrown by children? Unethical.

pjsmom30
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
OK, so we have established that it is unethical to return things that are just worn out. I do disagree that if something develops a hole (not on the knees) or looks faded too quickly, that it shouldn't be returned. But that is OK, we can agree to disagree.

But my other question to those who regularly return to Lands End, do they track your returns and then "ban" you from returns like some stores do?

wellyes
04-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Returns guaranteed if you're not satisfied. If you were satisfied with the garment, it is unethical to return it.

I do returns at Lands End this way - I order stuff I'm not sure I'll like, try it on at home, return to the store if I don't want it. Or if I'm not sure of a size, I order two sizes and return the one that didn't fit.

But my other question to those who regularly return to Lands End, do they track your returns and then "ban" you from returns like some stores do?

Just saw this question. If you're going to do it, just do it. You really have nothing to lose, right? Except after a few cycles of returning all the clothes you bought for your kids, you might not be able to return a batch. Let me help you be unethical: buy a bunch of Lands End, return them, then pull the same scam at LL Bean, return them, then find the next store that guarantees satisfaction. That'll keep you from paying for your kids clothes for years.

chozen
04-26-2011, 10:34 AM
OK, so we have established that it is unethical to return things that are just worn out. I do disagree that if something develops a hole (not on the knees) or looks faded too quickly, that it shouldn't be returned. But that is OK, we can agree to disagree.

i worked at sears and LE does track your returns and they will ban for a period of time if there is pattern ( return worn clothes often) just like sears will after say the same customer wears work boots then returns them defective after 3 mo. of wearing them over and over. in other words customer buys one pair of $40.00 work boots and tries to get a yr. or more of daily use out of them. and like pp stated if people keep doing this they will stop the free returns.

alien_host
04-26-2011, 10:36 AM

I return a lot of things to LE and I'm not that timely about it, BUT everything that goes back is still new with tags on. I buy multiple sizes and then return what doesn't work. Sometimes I'm bad about getting back to Sears to do it but I have not had an issue. I don't know if they "ban" or not but I'm not really concerned about it since I'm returning new saleable things.

FWIW, I've never had a quality issue w/ LE clothing for DD or me/DH.

alien_host
04-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Just saw this question. If you're going to do it, just do it. You really have nothing to lose, right? Except after a few cycles of returning all the clothes you bought for your kids, you might not be able to return a batch. Let me help you be unethical: buy a bunch of Lands End, return them, then pull the same scam at LL Bean, return them, then find the next store that guarantees satisfaction. That'll keep you from paying for your kids clothes for years.

FWIW, I know someone who does this scam at LLBean...returns footwear after about 2 years saying they aren't satisfied so they can get a fresh pair. I was speechless when this person mentioned this...I would be embarrassed to bring my stinky footwear or whatever back to LLBean to get a new pair for free!

TwoBees
04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I agree with PPs, it's unethical to return something because you are unsatisfied after a long period of wear. If you wear it once or twice and it doesn't live up to the expectations (shrinks after first wash, develops a hole or a seam runs, etc), then I think it is fine for a place like LE that guarentees their clothes. But returning something that has been worn all season just because it doesn't look brand new next season is just wrong. And it is taking advantage of the company's return policy. How can the continue to offer good prices if people continually take advantage of them? Have you considedred that maybe the wear and tear is due to your washing machine/choice of detergent/heat of dryer?

TwoBees
04-26-2011, 10:46 AM
FWIW, I know someone who does this scam at LLBean...returns footwear after about 2 years saying they aren't satisfied so they can get a fresh pair. I was speechless when this person mentioned this...I would be embarrassed to bring my stinky footwear or whatever back to LLBean to get a new pair for free!

I have to admit, they replaced my Wicked Good slippers for me after my toe pushed through the seaming. I was floored also. I brought the slippers to the store so that I could find the exact same pair (for purchase, I had already worn my original pair for 2 seasons), and they insisted on replacing them. But itis that kind of service that keeps me coming back.

Neelloc
04-26-2011, 10:53 AM

Do any of you do this on a regular basis? Do you get flagged for returning too many items? I am just considering if it makes sense to buy mostly Lands End clothes for the boys, as I like the style and the quality, even though it is more expensive sometimes, and then return things as they grow out of them. By then there is wear and tear, and likely fading, that will be reason for return. I have not always been satisfied with the way thing hold up to washings and play compared to the cost.

Thoughts appreciated!

Do you plan on returning things your kids outgrow so you can then use the $$$ to buy the next size up and using the "quality issue" as the reason? (I made the above statement red.) If that's the case, then yes, it's unethical and IMHO an abuse of their generous return policy. However, if you plan to buy LE because you feel like the clothes are a good value for the $$$, they will wear and last better than other clothing, and they have the guarantee for the odd item that has issues, then fine.

I know Sears has the kidvantage program that will replace an item in the exact same size if it wears out before your kid outgrows it. But it's meant to replace a defective/worn item, not meant to bankroll a wardrobe.

pjsmom30
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
This all came up in our house because of something a friend told me. She recently lost some weight, and bought a bunch of new clothes at Kohls. (They have the same return policy as Lands End) She then lost more weight, and returned the clothes and bought the next size down. Then it happened a third time. She kept buying mostly the same things, basics. But it got me to wondering about Lands End. I must have misinterpreted what people were saying on here, and I swear I saw people post that they did this. I must have been wrong! And that is why I asked.

I will never understand why some people need to be mean and accusatory when someone is just asking a question!

Neelloc
04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
This all came up in our house because of something a friend told me. She recently lost some weight, and bought a bunch of new clothes at Kohls. (They have the same return policy as Lands End) She then lost more weight, and returned the clothes and bought the next size down. Then it happened a third time. She kept buying mostly the same things, basics. But it got me to wondering about Lands End. I must have misinterpreted what people were saying on here, and I swear I saw people post that they did this. I must have been wrong! And that is why I asked.

I will never understand why some people need to be mean and accusatory when someone is just asking a question!

To me, and I have worked in retail for a long time, and at many different places, it's all about if an item is new with tags, or new without tags. I don't ever see an issue with buying a bunch of stuff, trying it on, and then returning what doesn't work, doesn't fit, etc. I think that's what people were talking about. The store can take a NWT item, or even a NWOT item and resell it. But if it's been washed and worn, then then store takes a loss. I've always thought those generous return policies that Kohls, LE, etc have were for that reason.

As for your friend, great for her losing the weight! However, again, it wasn't Kohls issue that the clothing no longer fit and she needed a smaller size. If the clothes were unwashed and unworn, then no problem, return them! However, if they were worn and there was nothing "wrong" with them other then they were too big, she took advantage of their policy.

KHF
04-26-2011, 11:25 AM
I've returned several items to Lands End and LL Bean (and Kohl's, for that matter). I would say 98% of them are unworn/unused or just tried on. The others are quality issues. I don't take advantage of generous return programs because I want to keep them from going to the Target type policies.

The OP's friend who lost the weight is clearly taking advantage of the generous return policy at Kohl's, and it's people like her that will have Kohl's changing their policy if it keeps up. Great she lost the weight, but she should donate/consign the clothes and buy new ones.

Neelloc
04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
I just thought of something else. (sorry.) On another message board I was on, a woman tried to return her daughter's defective backpack to LLBean. The zipper broke and the pack was 4 years old. There was quite a lot of discussion and debate about wether she had gotten enough use out of it. She was upset because LLBean obviously didn't have a 4 year old pack anymore, so they offered to repair the zipper or to refund the $$$ for the pack. (She had gotten it on clearance.) She wanted a new, full priced pack. That thread went on for pages and pages. I can't remember the outcome.

I guess my expectation is that I want my kids clothes to last for as long as they wear the size, and if I can hand it down, or resell that is a bonus.

jvs195
04-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Do you plan on returning things your kids outgrow so you can then use the $$$ to buy the next size up and using the "quality issue" as the reason? (I made the above statement red.) If that's the case, then yes, it's unethical and IMHO an abuse of their generous return policy. However, if you plan to buy LE because you feel like the clothes are a good value for the $$$, they will wear and last better than other clothing, and they have the guarantee for the odd item that has issues, then fine.

I know Sears has the kidvantage program that will replace an item in the exact same size if it wears out before your kid outgrows it. But it's meant to replace a defective/worn item, not meant to bankroll a wardrobe.

DS had a pair of LE water shoes that the laces kept breaking on after a month of wear. I really just wanted the laces replaced, but they gave me new shoes each time (2 times before he outgrew them) I have returned pants that had a hole in the knee after only a few times worn and wanted to get the same item, but it was no longer available so I got a full refund. I agree the kidvantage program covers that if they wear out before they outgrow you can return for the same size, not to get new ones free. For myself I would never return a worn item.

KHF
04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
I probably wouldn't return a 4 year old backpack that had seen regular use, but I did return my DD's junior backpack to LL Bean earlier this year. I'd bought it about 2 years ago, but we had not used it until she started kindergarten this year. By October the handle on the top was fraying out, so I returned it to them. I thought two months of use by a kindergartener where the heaviest thing in it is one single folder with a few papers was enough to warrant an exchange. They didn't have the backpacks we had anymore, but did replace it with a new one (though I liked the old one better).

I have also emailed LLB to request a new strap for a briefcase bag I bought my brother about 4 years ago. I really just wanted to buy a new strap because the old one had split open and looked really bad, but they just asked me to send pics of it and sent him a free strap.

hollybloom24
04-26-2011, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't use the return policy for clothes that are outgrown. But I will return something that falls apart (not like a hole in the knee, like a broken zipper) early on in its life.

FTMLuc
04-26-2011, 12:22 PM
When people discuss buying a whole bunch of items and then returning them, I take it that they buy different sizes/styles to try on and return new never worn (other then for sizing) items that do not fit in size or style. I have done so myself, ordered 8 evening dresses online from Bloomingdales, tried them on, kept one that fit the best and returned the rest. It had never until this thread cross my mind that someone would buy clothes, wear them until outgrown, and return for next size up. That is definitely unethical and I would liken it to stealing. The store can no longer resell the items and must take a loss on the returned merchandise that was never defective.

LMPC
04-26-2011, 12:52 PM

I think since you asked about whether or not it was unethical and sort of suggested that you were thinking about returning well worn clothes in order to take advantage of a company's return policy that you opened yourself up to more sarcastic barbs. I don't read these responses as mean but rather more of this :47: as in "I can't believe someone would even think of doing this."

wellyes
04-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I will never understand why some people need to be mean and accusatory when someone is just asking a question! Ah I see you were asking because you, too, were incredulous that people do this. I understand you were trying to be nuetral in how you worded it to get honest responses, but

But my other question to those who regularly return to Lands End, do they track your returns and then "ban" you from returns like some stores do?Imagine if you'd said "so we've established that it's unsafe to just hold the baby without using a car seat. My question is, do people that here that don't use car seats get caught and fined by the police?" The actual answer: the people who do that probably don't usually get caught. But that's not how people would respond, you'd get a "no one here does that and you shouldn't either!!!!", know what I mean?

chickadee
04-26-2011, 01:56 PM
I did buy shoes for my girls for this summer after reading that, if they wear out sooner than expected, before the end of the summer - I could return them. I thought it is about quality. I don't really want "new shoes" - I just want the shoes to last a season.

Is that reasonable? Just wondering what others think. If they last through the summer, I will NOT return them. I bought Land's End to avoid the wearing out in a month issue. My girls are hard on shoes so maybe it isn't reasonable but I thought it was. I guess I can call their customer service and ask what they think if they do fall apart before this summer is over.

Responses have made me wonder if I should have just bought consignment for cheaper.

LMPC
04-26-2011, 02:11 PM
I did buy shoes for my girls for this summer after reading that, if they wear out sooner than expected, before the end of the summer - I could return them. I thought it is about quality. I don't really want "new shoes" - I just want the shoes to last a season.

Is that reasonable? Just wondering what others think. If they last through the summer, I will NOT return them. I bought Land's End to avoid the wearing out in a month issue. My girls are hard on shoes so maybe it isn't reasonable but I thought it was. I guess I can call their customer service and ask what they think if they do fall apart before this summer is over.

Responses have made me wonder if I should have just bought consignment for cheaper.
JMHO, but if they were shoes that got worn 3-4 times a week and my kid wasn't terribly hard on them...AND they fell apart (sole separating or stitching coming out), then I would take them back. But if she wore them everyday, in the rain and sand, and then they fell apart, I would throw them away and buy new ones. I would think that I had gotten my $$$ worth.

doberbrat
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I admitthat I did recently return something to lands end that was washed & worn. I recently bought a pair fo tights for my 5yo in size 6/7. I always wash clothes before wearing. When she put them on, the panty of the tights were halfway to her knees. I think the tights were mis marked in size. But thats really the only way I'd consider returning something after having worn it. For me, it would have to be an issue of clear defect and not just 'I wanted it to last longer'.

KrisM
04-26-2011, 04:41 PM
I agree with everyone saying your kid outgrowing them is not a reason for not being satisfied with the clothes. If your son wears a pair of jeans twice and has a hole in the seam, sure, return them. If he wears them 3 days a week for a year and then gets a hole, I would not consider that to be defective.

But, I bought a winter coat for DS1 and after 1/2 of one winter and 1/2 of another, the zipper pull broke off. I did not have the receipt, which caused a lot of issues, but they did exchange it for me. I got the same coat and same size, just a different color. I thought that the zipper should last much longer than that and bought it with the intention of handing it down to DS2.

pjsmom30
04-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Ah I see you were asking because you, too, were incredulous that people do this. I understand you were trying to be nuetral in how you worded it to get honest responses, but Imagine if you'd said "so we've established that it's unsafe to just hold the baby without using a car seat. My question is, do people that here that don't use car seats get caught and fined by the police?" The actual answer: the people who do that probably don't usually get caught. But that's not how people would respond, you'd get a "no one here does that and you shouldn't either!!!!", know what I mean?

What I meant was, for those who regularly return to Lands End, do you get flagged by them. It seemed to me that many were saying that they do this regularly, and I was simply asking if anyone had had any trouble doing it.

DrSally
04-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't return things just for wear and tear. You buy items and wear them, and pay pay for that. If something falls apart after a few wears, I think that's fair use of the guarantee. I do also order multiple sizes online and return what doesn't fit. I have kept receipts thinking I'll return something NWT if the kids end up wearing it, but have never actually done it.

I did buy a very expensive watch for DH (swiss army) from Eddie Bauer once, it said "lifetime guarantee". It stopped working completely after a few years, so I brought it in to see if they could send it away for repair. They just returned it for me (merchandise credit)! They actually no longer have the lifetime guarantee on their watches.

mariza
04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I might get flamed for this, but I usually go up a size when I order stuff for my kids from LE with the Intent that they will wear an item like a raincoat or a fleece for 2+ years. Recently a fleece I bought DD last year had the zipper break. I called LE and they had me send the jacket back then mailed me a replacement. They also sent me an apology card with a gift card in the amount of my original purchase. I don't return things often because they rarely fail. However, I would not hesitate to return something defective even after a year. That is why they have the policy they do and that's why I continue to buy from them. I expected the replacement, but the refund AND replacement was an above and beyond surprise and a mark of outstanding customer service. So in answer to your question, I have returned about 3-4 times for similar circumstances, but never because items are simply outgrown. Those items I'm happy to donate to friends or charity if my friends don't need them.

LMPC
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I am just considering if it makes sense to buy mostly Lands End clothes for the boys, as I like the style and the quality, even though it is more expensive sometimes, and then return things as they grow out of them. By then there is wear and tear, and likely fading, that will be reason for return. I have not always been satisfied with the way thing hold up to washings and play compared to the cost.

What I meant was, for those who regularly return to Lands End, do you get flagged by them. It seemed to me that many were saying that they do this regularly, and I was simply asking if anyone had had any trouble doing it.

Your first post pretty specifically stated that you were considering returning normal wear and tear clothes...not defective. I think this is where the responses are coming from. If you had just said that you were planning on buying ahead or ordering a bunch of different sizes to see what fits, then I think the reactions you got would have been much different.

ECMom
04-26-2011, 06:24 PM
I will answer your question........the Loss Prevention department tracks frequency of returns. If you make too many returns without a true valid reason (e.g., cleaning out a closet because your kids have outgrown the clothes), yes, you will be flagged and will be unable to make future returns. There's no way a store can offer such a return policy & not do this because they would go out of business thanks to people like your friend.

emschwar
04-26-2011, 06:43 PM
I might get flamed for this, but I usually go up a size when I order stuff for my kids from LE with the Intent that they will wear an item like a raincoat or a fleece for 2+ years. Recently a fleece I bought DD last year had the zipper break. I called LE and they had me send the jacket back then mailed me a replacement. They also sent me an apology card with a gift card in the amount of my original purchase. I don't return things often because they rarely fail. However, I would not hesitate to return something defective even after a year. That is why they have the policy they do and that's why I continue to buy from them. I expected the replacement, but the refund AND replacement was an above and beyond surprise and a mark of outstanding customer service. So in answer to your question, I have returned about 3-4 times for similar circumstances, but never because items are simply outgrown. Those items I'm happy to donate to friends or charity if my friends don't need them.

Me too. Outerwear items from LE and LL Bean I fully expect to last more than 1 year, and if it didn't, I'd return it. Regular clothes I really expect to last more than a season too, and get handed down to younger sibs, though I'm not sure if I'd return a shirt or something that didn't make it through 2 kids. It hasn't happened yet, fortunately.

pjsmom30
04-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Me too. Outerwear items from LE and LL Bean I fully expect to last more than 1 year, and if it didn't, I'd return it. Regular clothes I really expect to last more than a season too, and get handed down to younger sibs, though I'm not sure if I'd return a shirt or something that didn't make it through 2 kids. It hasn't happened yet, fortunately.

Now this is what I am talking about. If I buy a pair of climber pants for my oldest I plan to hand them down to my youngest. I hate to pay the Lands End prices, but if I get two children's wear out of them, great. But if they get a rip or tear etc while the first child is wearing them, I would want to return them, as I feel they should last through at least the first child, if not the second. Not in perfect condition, of course, but a major flaw would make me want to exchange them for a new pair, same size, color, etc.

emschwar
04-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Now this is what I am talking about. If I buy a pair of climber pants for my oldest I plan to hand them down to my youngest. I hate to pay the Lands End prices, but if I get two children's wear out of them, great. But if they get a rip or tear etc while the first child is wearing them, I would want to return them, as I feel they should last through at least the first child, if not the second. Not in perfect condition, of course, but a major flaw would make me want to exchange them for a new pair, same size, color, etc.
See, now if it was a rip or a tear, I don't think I'd take them back. If a pair of pants rips, for instance, I'm going to assume it was because my kid was too hard on them. A fall on the blacktop will do that :) But I don't consider a rip in the knee (or whatever) to be indicative of a flaw in the item. Now if the zipper broke, or the seam started unraveling, or something similar, maybe. But probably only within the time that the first kid was wearing it. (Of course, my kids are 3.5 years apart, and about 5 years apart size-wise. I'd feel ridiculous taking something back 5 years after I bought it, I don't care how badly it fell apart.)

pjsmom30
04-26-2011, 07:52 PM
See, now if it was a rip or a tear, I don't think I'd take them back. If a pair of pants rips, for instance, I'm going to assume it was because my kid was too hard on them. A fall on the blacktop will do that :) But I don't consider a rip in the knee (or whatever) to be indicative of a flaw in the item. Now if the zipper broke, or the seam started unraveling, or something similar, maybe. But probably only within the time that the first kid was wearing it. (Of course, my kids are 3.5 years apart, and about 5 years apart size-wise. I'd feel ridiculous taking something back 5 years after I bought it, I don't care how badly it fell apart.)

that's what I meant by rip or tear....the kind that happens when the material pulls apart at the seam, and you know it wasn't your kid's fault.

Kungjo
04-26-2011, 08:28 PM
You keep saying that if you buy something at Lands End's prices than you expect them to last. Are you talking full price because I find their sale prices more than reasonable. Quite affordable in fact and I'm not well off by any standards.

In my opinion, you get what you paid for. I would naturally not expect Wal-Mart's clothes to last as long as the ones I buy at Lands End. If Lands End clothes last through one child, I think that it's done its job, ESPECIALLY if it is worn a few times a week for a season. I got my money's worth out of it. If that outfit gets passed down to a younger sibling, then it's an unexpected bonus.

Returning something, after your child has outgrown it is unethical. If you want it to last longer than a season (not including outerwear) then you should size up. Lands End shouldn't have to replace something that's not defective.

People who take advantage of their policy and abuse it only ruins it for the rest.

TwinFoxes
04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Sooo, the question is if a seam rips is it unethical to return something to a company with a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy? I would say no, that's not unethical.

If the question is should a person return outgrown clothes using a flimsy excuse, then to me that's unethical. And it wouldn't matter if I read that other people did it. I still wouldn't.

Snow mom
04-26-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure if this answers your question. I frequently buy many items and return sizes/colors that don't work for us (new with tags, usually even in the plastic shipping bag.) I've never had a problem with this. I often store things up and then take them to Sears. At most I've returned about $300 of items at once and while it was embarrassing to me to walk in with so much stuff, it was all brand new and even from the current season. The only item I've ever returned that had been washed was a pair of jeans I had purchased ahead for DD. When she grew into the size I washed them but the first time I tried to put them on her I realized the snap was bent/defective and they wouldn't close. I'd probably already had them 1+ year, although they had only been washed once and never worn. Anyway, usually LE credits your original method of payment a few days after you return to Sears. For the jeans they sent me a check instead (I assume because I'd had them so long.)

I think for me the line between ethical and unethical is your initial intent. If you buy clothes with the intention of using them and then returning them that is hugely unethical. If you get something expecting to be pleased with the quality and you aren't then return it. Returning a closet full of used clothes, especially if you buy more from the same brand (suggesting you are in fact satisfied with the brand) also seems hugely unethical. When people say they return things to LE on this board, I think almost everyone is talking about returning brand new, unworn clothes unless an occasional item is defective.

pjsmom30
04-26-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure if this answers your question. I frequently buy many items and return sizes/colors that don't work for us (new with tags, usually even in the plastic shipping bag.) I've never had a problem with this. I often store things up and then take them to Sears. At most I've returned about $300 of items at once and while it was embarrassing to me to walk in with so much stuff, it was all brand new and even from the current season. The only item I've ever returned that had been washed was a pair of jeans I had purchased ahead for DD. When she grew into the size I washed them but the first time I tried to put them on her I realized the snap was bent/defective and they wouldn't close. I'd probably already had them 1+ year, although they had only been washed once and never worn. Anyway, usually LE credits your original method of payment a few days after you return to Sears. For the jeans they sent me a check instead (I assume because I'd had them so long.)

I think for me the line between ethical and unethical is your initial intent. If you buy clothes with the intention of using them and then returning them that is hugely unethical. If you get something expecting to be pleased with the quality and you aren't then return it. Returning a closet full of used clothes, especially if you buy more from the same brand (suggesting you are in fact satisfied with the brand) also seems hugely unethical. When people say they return things to LE on this board, I think almost everyone is talking about returning brand new, unworn clothes unless an occasional item is defective.

I really appreciate you answering my question, and for not judging me for SOMETHING I HAVEN"T even done!!! Thank you for the information.

alien_host
04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
I personally don't have an ethical issue w/ returning something that is new and unworn and with tags if I'm within the return period. That's what the return policy is for, so at Land's End I guess it is unlimited.

For worn/used clothing, I sort of feel whether it is ethical to return or not depends on whose fault it is that the item needs to be returned:

my fault/unethical to return -
- I decided I didn't like the item but wore it a few times
- I gained or lost 20 lbs and it doesn't fit
- DD spilled grape juice on it and it stained
- DD fell and a hole developed in the knee
- DD outgrew the item
- I washed a red shirt with DD's white pants and ruined the pants

LE's fault/ethical to return or exchange -
- The seam ripped after minimal usage
- It shrank in the wash after I followed the washing directions
- Zipper broke on a coat/pants after normal usage

And people are going to have different thresholds on the time, what minimal use is etc. I guess one needs to do what they feel comfortable with.

I have a NWT Sweater from LLBean that DD never wore. I've toyed with taking it back (don't have a receipt) and I'm too embarassed to do it really...it is probably 2.5 years old.

MMMommy
04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Returning something, after your child has outgrown it is unethical. If you want it to last longer than a season (not including outerwear) then you should size up. Lands End shouldn't have to replace something that's not defective.

People who take advantage of their policy and abuse it only ruins it for the rest.

:yeahthat:

jgenie
04-27-2011, 02:18 AM
OP sorry you're feeling attacked. If you're talking about true defective items I don't think it's unethical to return them. I also don't think you will be tracked or banned because true defective items are few and far between in my experience with Lands End. I recently ordered towel sets from LE when they had a sale and had to return not one but two sets of the same towels because the original set discolored the first time I washed them and so did the replacement set. I had additional sets in other colors that did not have this problem but both sets of one color did.

I was behind a woman one day at Sears that was returning a large bag of clothing that had obviously been worn for a while. I was floored that she had the gall to do it and peeved because I know those returns will eventually be paid for by higher prices for the rest of us.

theloo
04-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Here's a completely different question but related to returns/exhanges. I bought a backpack on clearance and they don't carry it any more. The zipper is not working quite right. I know I should just call them, but will they likely fix it or offer me a similar backpack as a replacement?

pomegranate
04-28-2011, 03:15 PM
As many PPs have said, I think it's also unethical to return clothing that has been worn due to normal wear and tear. Although I think it's okay to return worn clothing if you think there was a defect in the item, I personally don't do that.

I also think it's unethical to return very old clothing, EVEN if the tags are still on them. LE can't resell those items, just like it can't resell your worn clothing and they take a loss. I think items that you don't plan on keeping should be returned within 3 months, maybe 6 months at most. I'm sure some of you may disagree on this too.

WatchingThemGrow
04-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Here's a completely different question but related to returns/exhanges. I bought a backpack on clearance and they don't carry it any more. The zipper is not working quite right. I know I should just call them, but will they likely fix it or offer me a similar backpack as a replacement?
We had this scenario happen. They refunded the price I paid for the item by sending me a check since I had changed debit cards by that time.

mariza
04-28-2011, 03:33 PM

They will likely offer you a replacement if they have one on clearance in the same price range, or they will reimburse you the cost of getting it fixed. They may offer to reimburse you outright but you will have to send it back to them or they might let you return it to Sears. I would call them. When the zipper broke on my DDs fleece they asked me to mail it to them (cost me $5 - no biggie) I had to include a letter stating what I wanted it replaced with. The lady on the phone told me what they had in stock for the same model fleece (last years version) so in my letter I wrote "I understand this version is available in pink, if you still have it then I would like pink last years model. If it's not available I will be happy with the current model in pink". They sent me the one I wanted. HTH!