PDA

View Full Version : Cake Pops tips?

Melaine
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
My friends are throwing a shower for my brother's fiance this weekend. I told them I would make something and they told me whatever I wanted. I have been wanting to try Cake Pops and found some 12" sticks on clearance. I was thinking about making a bouquet with them and let people take them as favors? Kind of like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hcaA8vnt_Kg/SdrJ_uYFJbI/AAAAAAAAAmk/meYDrN07XMU/s400/DSC_7736.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.lovintheoven.com/2009/04/bakerella-cupcake-pop-bouquet.html&usg=__cUKZlqDrAiegPuZhvyO0JaowKOg=&h=400&w=268&sz=22&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=pivP63juWzdLGM:&tbnh=147&tbnw=104&ei=dvq2TYuAFcjSgQfy6LhR&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcake%2Bpop%2Bbouquet%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D547%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=592&vpy=63&dur=311&hovh=274&hovw=184&tx=105&ty=146&page=1&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

Only thing is, I've never actually made them. So I know to look at Bakerella, but are there any pros out there with tips for me? Also, how far ahead do you think I can do it? The shower is Sunday, would it be best to do Saturday night or would Friday be ok? Thanks for any tips!

infomama
04-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I've never made them but I would do a test batch if I were taking them to a function. I made a version of PW's pig cake for Easter and it was SO delicious. If you want the recipe I'll post it.
ETA- maybe you don't want to take a whole cake...hmmm. I made little sweet cakes (banana bread and strawberry bread) for my baby shower. Wrapped them in cling wrap and labeled them with a paper band and sticker. Everyone loved them and they looked so cute!

DietCokeLover
04-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I made some for DD's preschool class for Easter. I made them in to bunnies. It was more difficult than I imagined, but not impossible. I probably should have just stuck with simple cake pops for my first try.

gobadgers
04-26-2011, 11:14 PM
DD made some Cake Pops with her nana over spring break! I think they are adorable, they'd be so great for a shower! They basically baked a cake, then smashed it up and mixed in some frosting (fun part for the kids). Formed them into balls and put them in the fridge for a while before dipping and decorating.

Here are my takeaways from the process:

The cake balls needed to be thoroughly chilled before dipping them in the chocolate.
We microwaved the chocolate, but I'd recommend doing it right over a double boiler on the stove because it cooled off quickly.
It helped to dip them all the way up to the stick, because the chocolate hardens around the stick and makes them more secure. The ones that weren't dipped in all the way slid right off the sticks at room temperature. That might just be the recipe we used, though.
They tasted at least as good on the 3rd day, so I think Friday would be fair game. I hope they turn out well!

turtle12
05-03-2011, 04:51 AM
i just saw this link for rice krispie pops. they look adorable and may not be as labor intensive!

http://www.celebrationsathomeblog.com/2011/03/rice-krispies-treats-dipping-pops.html

BeachBum
05-03-2011, 06:25 AM
I agree they aren't as easy as they look.
They do last for a really long time once they are dipped, because the chocolate coating makes the cake part kind of air tight. You could do them several...maybe even a week ahead.

It is a tricky process between having the cake pop chilled to keep it on the stick, the chocolate warm (too hot and it is drippy and you can't get it smooth, to cold and it glumps). Make sure you buy a name brand chocolate coating. I bought some from hobby lobby, that wasn't wiltons and it was terrible to work with. I also dipped each stick in melted chocolate before poking it into the cake ball to help with it sticking. I don't know if this was totally necessary, but it did help make a collar of sorts when I dipped the pop. You will want to make sure you cover all the cake, but not get chocolate on the stick.

You also want to keep the pop round, so you will need to poke the cake balls and subsequentally the pops into something like floral foam. You could choose to do them candy apple style...which is easier, but not as cute IMO.
Good luck!