PDA

View Full Version : Car seat in window seat on airplane?

MSWR0319
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
I was just reading on the FAA that carseats have to go in the window seat so they don't block an exit. Do they have to go there is the entire family is together in that row and no one else? (I'm assuming this is a yes, just wanted to check). DS has a peanut allergy and I was hoping to keep him away from as much "surface area" as possible so he didn't touch something and get peanut on him. I plan on wiping everything down, but still worry.

AshleyAnn
04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
It depends if your child's car seat blocks another passenger's (family or not) ability to get out of a seat in a hurry. If its forward facing it probably wont block the aisle area so I would try it and see if the flight attendant says anything.

hillview
04-26-2011, 01:45 PM
In my experience they MUST go in a window seat
/hillary

infocrazy
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
It depends if your child's car seat blocks another passenger's (family or not) ability to get out of a seat in a hurry. If its forward facing it probably wont block the aisle area so I would try it and see if the flight attendant says anything.

:yeahthat:

I traveled with my boys both in carseats. They were both FF on the plane but I wanted to sit between them --aka separate them--I did both ways without issue, but I think that if I were to RF the one on the aisle they would have had a problem.

No one said anything except the FA on the way out who complained I was taking too long to get off the plane (we were the last ones)... I asked if she wanted to help but surprisingly she didn't!

nupe
04-26-2011, 02:07 PM
When we've travelled with 2 carseats, they both have to be in the window. The FA made a point of telling us as we boarded that they both needed to be in the window. So we usually sit in two rows, one behind the other. And then someone else sits in the aisle seat since there are three seats on a side.

kaharris83
04-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Not sure what airline you're flying but I was surprised when I actually checked Delta's website. It specifically says the carseat can be in the middle as long as the accompanying adult is in the window. But normally and according to the FAA it should be in the window so it doesn't block you from escaping during an emergency. Here's Delta's info on it though:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/services_for_children/infant_child_seating/index.jsp

mariza
04-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes, technically per FAA the carseat goes in the window seat, however some airlines will allow you to place it elsewhere as long as the person whose egress your blocking is a family member and is aware that they have the potential to be blocked. I would check your airlines website AND print the info and bring it with you. As PP mentioned, Delta does allow this, but the Delta FA I had insisted DD sit In the window seat. I tried to argue but it started getting ugly and I dropped it for fear of getting kicked off. As a former Delta employee I knew the policy but since she pulled out her FAA book and not the Delta policy I really had nothing. I was fuming the entire flight home. What airline are you flying?

kbud
04-26-2011, 03:14 PM
It's been awhile but about 10 years ago I was a flight attendant supervisor/training. At that time the preferred place was at the window but the FAA allowed it other places as long as it was the child's caretaker that sat in the seat that may be blocked. Now, airlines policy may require it be at the window. If that is the airline's policy than the window it is as the airline policy is more restrictive than the FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation). Hope that makes sense.

bearwithme
04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
The only time that I have been permitted to place the sit somewhere other than a window is when we flew on a wide body and we were allowed to put the carseat in the middle between the 2 aisle seats (3 across). It did not block an aisle that way.

bubbaray
04-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I've put 2 car seats side by side in a 3 across 737. Window, middle were both car seats. Aisle was adult. Across aisle was also adult. I don't think they care if its 2 kids side by side in car seats, they just don't want an adult "trapped" in between restraints.

ETA: both of my girls have peanut allergies. I don't wipe anything down. I bring lots of safe snacks for them and travel with about 5 EpiPens.

lisadpa
04-27-2011, 06:31 AM
:yeahthat:

No one said anything except the FA on the way out who complained I was taking too long to get off the plane (we were the last ones)... I asked if she wanted to help but surprisingly she didn't!

how RUDE!!!! What airline was that? I'd have reported her.

infocrazy
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
how RUDE!!!! What airline was that? I'd have reported her.

It was Northwest turning into Delta. I had two carseats, a 2 yo, a 4 yo with a backpack, a carryon, and I was 5 months pregnant. I was flying with a friend who also had a 2 yo, a carseat, and a carryon. We had waited until everyone else got off since we knew we'd take awhile to get off.

Really, she wasn't as bad as the Spring breaker in front of us who asked if I would switch rows (move my all strapped in carseat kids) because it was VERY important that she sleep on the plane! My boys were REALLY good on the plane too! DS2 was behind her and in an RA so her seat was prime kicking. I stopped him of course, but I didn't feel NEARLY as guilty as I would have to someone who wasn't so rude!

Fun times. Our vacation was worth it though! :)

edurnemk
04-27-2011, 11:25 AM
In my experience they MUST go in a window seat
/hillary

:yeahthat: On our last trip only DS and I were sitting in our row and even so the flight attendant mentioned I had to install it in the window seat.

MSWR0319
04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks! I figured that's where it had to go, but thought I'd check and see how strict they were about it. Maybe I'll ask when we get to the airport and see what they say. He'll be FF so I don't think it would cause a problem, but don't want to do something I shouldn't.