PDA

View Full Version : Nightgowns?

elektra
04-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Where can I get some nice nightgowns for 4yo DD? She currently has one that she would wear every single night if she could. It's a Disney Ariel one, the typical polyester style you would find at Target. I really have no problem with Disneywear for pjs, but I was wondering if there was anything a little better quality out there.
Can manufacturers even make cotton nightgowns?

I really love Hanna pjs and DD doesn't mind them, but she prefers nightgowns these days.

citymama
04-27-2011, 01:33 AM
My DD too! So I don't know if this is an issue for you but watch out for the use of flame retardants in night gowns, esp cotton ones. If this is a concern for you, then don't buy Boden, which makes adorable cotton nightgowns - treated with flame retardant chemicals.

I personally am not crazy about shiny polyester but I know my DD would live an Ariel nightgown! I've seen Disney princess nightgowns at Target. Carters also makes poly nightgowns, some really cute ones in Bodenesque patterns. We buy Hanna nightgowns at end of season in the winter, and I once bought a Jacadi cotton nightgown from French eBay in my quest for untreated cotton nighties! We have those in pretty much continuous rotation.

Eta Garnet Hill makes some pretty nightgowns, although we've never tried them.

infomama
04-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Mini Boden has some cute all cotton nightgowns.

citymama
04-27-2011, 02:55 AM
Mini Boden has some cute all cotton nightgowns.

yes, but treated with flame retardants!

infomama
04-27-2011, 03:04 AM
There is always Etsy....
http://www.etsy.com/listing/70271798/heavenly-soft-bamboo-cotton-little-girls?ref=sr_gallery_17&ga_ref=auto&ga_search_query=cotton+nightgowns+girls&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade
http://www.etsy.com/listing/47396578/girls-nightgown-custom-made-to-order?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=cotton+nightgowns+girls&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

infomama
04-27-2011, 03:35 AM
yes, but treated with flame retardants!
I don't think there are any commercially produced untreated all cotton nightgowns available in the US. Federal law requires it. According to this article, some cottons may have chemicals in it already.

"And remember, not all cotton is free of flame retardants. Some sleepwear made of cotton is nonetheless treated with flame retardants. You’ll see cotton sleepwear advertised as containing Proban, which is made from tetrakis(hydroxymethyl)phosphonium chloride, or THPC. Studies have shown low migration, but the chemical used in the process is associated with genetic abnormalities and damage to the liver, skin and nervous system. Securest is another name for Proban-treated fabric. If you see flame-resistant 100% cotton, then that cotton has flame retardants. If you don’t want flame retardants, then always look for the specific key phrases “must be snug fitting” and “not flame resistant.”

citymama
04-27-2011, 03:52 AM
I don't think there are any commercially produced untreated all cotton nightgowns available in the US. Federal law requires it. According to this article, some cottons may have chemicals in it already.

"And remember, not all cotton is free of flame retardants. Some sleepwear made of cotton is nonetheless treated with flame retardants. You’ll see cotton sleepwear advertised as containing Proban, which is made from tetrakis(hydroxymethyl)phosphonium chloride, or THPC. Studies have shown low migration, but the chemical used in the process is associated with genetic abnormalities and damage to the liver, skin and nervous system. Securest is another name for Proban-treated fabric. If you see flame-resistant 100% cotton, then that cotton has flame retardants. If you don’t want flame retardants, then always look for the specific key phrases “must be snug fitting” and “not flame resistant.”

You are right - that's what I was trying to tell elektra. She's either going to have to get poly/synthetic fabric like the Disney or even Hanna kind (the Hanna ones feel cottony but they're not) or get cotton nighties meant for sale in Europe like I did. That's why I was advising her to skip the Boden ones. Etsy is a great suggestion!

infomama
04-27-2011, 04:00 AM
These look interesting...
http://www.sarasprints.com/index.htm
http://www.sarasprints.com/about_us.htm (info about flame resist qualities of their sleepwear)

citymama
04-27-2011, 04:33 AM
http://www.sarasprints.com/about_us.htm (info about flame resist qualities of their sleepwear)

I've seen this brand recommended on these boards before, way back when. Thanks for the link!

hey elektra - good morning! ;) we've been chatting away here without you!

elektra
04-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I've seen this brand recommended on these boards before, way back when. Thanks for the link!

hey elektra - good morning! ;) we've been chatting away here without you!

Why thank you! I did see some garnet hill ones last night that i liked but they were all sold out (?)

Those were a cotton/ synthetic blend. Are those treated too?
I would be willing to do all cotton, untreated.

Is that just totally irresponsible of me? I don't understand the fire threat honestly.
Can someone explain?

Melaine
04-27-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm curious about this too. I never got why stuff has to be treated.

AnnieW625
04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm curious about this too. I never got why stuff has to be treated.

It's a US law. Dumb if you ask me because I don't like the feel of the polyester pjs they just feel icky. DD1 does have a silky Dora night gown that she loves, but most of the other stuff just feels gross and I can't even re use the poly blend two piece sets I had with DD1 because they stink.

I will say that Sara's Prints, and Gymboree are nice and don't feel icky, but Gymboree runs small so I would definitely buy one size larger than normal.

Citymama, how did you buy nightgowns from Europe?

I am tempted however this summer to buy some size adult small or boys white 100% cotton tee shirts, wash and dry in hot water, and then tye dye them for DD1 as they should be night gown length.

citymama
04-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Citymama, how did you buy nightgowns from Europe?

I am tempted however this summer to buy some size small 100% cotton tee shirts, wash and dry in hot water, and then tye dye them for DD1 as they should be night gown length.

I would be willing to do all cotton, untreated.

Is that just totally irresponsible of me? I don't understand the fire threat honestly.
Can someone explain?

It's US law - kids night clothes have to be snug fitting or flame resistant. Since cotton is flammable, like most fabrics, companies have to treat with flame retardant chemicals. I don't quite get why poly or poly blends don't have to be treated as I've always heard that synthetic fabrics are highly flammable. (think about those silky Dora and Ariel nighties!)

Personally, I don't think it's irresponsible to buy all cotton - I don't want those yucky flame retardants on my DD. We do so as much as possible. As I said, we have 2 Hanna nightgowns which are very lightweight polyester, cotton-feeling. One all cotton untreated night gown that I bought on eBay France made by Jacadi and one night gown that MIL bought DD from a trip to Holland.

When these are all in the laundry hamper, DD will just wear a loose jersey cotton dress to bed - we bought a couple on the LE closeout for $3 a piece in prints I didn't care for, but they make great night gowns!

lizzywednesday
04-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Synthetics like polyester will melt before they flame in an open flame.

I know this from experience. (My grammar school uniform was polyester. On the day after my 8th grade graduation, I burned a square of the skirt. Rather than going up in lovely flames like the broadcloth blouse had, it melted.)

cuca_
04-27-2011, 02:08 PM

These are great and don't feel as synthetic as the Disney ones, despite being a blend. They hold up very well.

kristenk
04-27-2011, 02:14 PM
DD's "nightgowns" are women's t-shirts from Gap. I think I generally buy the Gap Favorite t-shirt with a crew neck. They're very soft.

I was worried at first about the size of the head hole and concerned that it might fall off her shoulder. We haven't had any problems with that, though, and she loves her nightgowns.

jenmcadams
04-27-2011, 05:03 PM
We've had the Sara's print ones and they feel like cotton; we've also had good luck with LL Bean, but I don't see any on their site right now.

mypa
04-27-2011, 05:35 PM
What about just regular soft comfy dresses? DD is really into wearing dresses these days and will often just were a Hanna/Carter's dress to sleep.

twodogs
05-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I generally don't like the feel of polyester night gowns, nor do I like how hot they make the kids. I generally buy Boden, even though they are treated with flame retardants. I have read many comments here regarding the safety of people wearing "chemicals" on their nightgowns, and I agree that it is not ideal. However, remember that polyester is not a natural fiber, but is made from petroleum, which is also not ideal against my child's skin in my opinion (bring on the cotton untreated gowns from Europe!):

From www.whatispolyester.com

The process of manufacturing polyester is fascinating. It is an artificial man-made fiber. Polyesters are generally manufactured from petroleum from which the constituent acids and alcohols are derived.
There are three steps in the synthesizing of polyester.

1.Condensation Polymerization: When acid and alcohol are reacted in a vacuum at high temperatures it results in condensation polymerization. Once the polymerization has occurred the material is extruded onto a casting trough in the form of a ribbon. Once cool, the ribbon hardens and is cut into chips.
2.Melt-spun Fiber: The chips are dried completely. Hopper reservoirs are then used to melt the chips. A unique feature of polyester is that it is melt-spun fiber. The chips are heated, extruded through spinnerets and cools upon hitting the air. It is then loosely wound around cylinders.
3.Drawing: The fibers consequently formed are hot stretched to about five times their original length. This helps to reduce the fiber width. This fiber is now ready and would into cones as filaments. It can also be crimped and cut into staple lengths as per requirements.
Different Types Of Polyester
There are several processes that can be carried out on the base polyester fiber. These processes add dimension to the polyester fiber as required for various end uses.

Polyester is a bright fiber by nature. However, it can be made dull or semi-dull by adding a delusterant. By changing the shape of the spinneret also, the hand and the strength of the fiber can be changed. Most spinnerets are circular. However, square, oval and bean-shaped fibers are also produced sometimes. Hollow fibers can also be created.

Polyester fiber is generally drawn to about five times its original length. However, drawing it out further makes it thinner. This is how the latest microfibers are being manufactured. Dyeing can give desired colors of polyester fiber. Normal polyester fiber is long and smooth. Crimping it can give the fiber more bulk and texture and increase its insulation capabilities.

Using Polyester
Once the polyester fiber is ready it is used to make filament and spun yarns. The yarns can be blended with other fibers to make various blended fabrics.

Polyester and cotton are a popular combination. Wool and rayon are also blended with polyester to make fabrics.

elektra
05-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I ended up getting two sara's prints ones.
And then I saw an $18 Hanna dress in the catalog and thought hmmmmm......;)

DD does seem to like the two I got.

maylips
05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I ended up getting two sara's prints ones.
And then I saw an $18 Hanna dress in the catalog and thought hmmmmm......;)

DD does seem to like the two I got.

You're lucky. My high maintenance daughter got a nightgown from Gymbo that she loves so I got her another one from Gap that apparently doesn't make the cut and she WILL.NOT. wear it. Period. So when I can get the gymbo one off her to wash, she wears oversized tees the rest of the time.

I couldn't even read half the posts here because I know I'd want to buy a nightgown I loved (and that was probably $30) and she'd refuse it and I'd be stuck. So I didn't even tempt myself.

Melaine
05-10-2011, 05:03 PM
DF just picked up four 100% cotton nightgowns for me in Germany...they were only $6 each! Should I tell her to buy me more? Am I going to regret not stocking up for all time? But I feel bad having her stuff her suitcase with my purchases, right? I should stick with four...