PDA

View Full Version : Adjustor issues for arthritic hands?

andielib
04-27-2011, 07:32 AM
I am considering the True Fit Premier vs. the Roundabout 55 and am leaning strongly toward the Roundabout (thanks to Julie and Simon), with a big IF. I'm wondering about the notation in Baby Bargains (9th ed.) about difficulty with the harness adjustors.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, so day-to-day ease of use is important. BB says they have reader feedback that the new Roundabout/Marathons have much more difficult-to-adjust harness adjustors. That might be a dealbreaker for me. However, the review of the TF said the adjustor on that seat is difficult to use rear-facing (and we will be RFing).

I plan to go play with the Roundabout at BRU, but nobody near me sells the TF Premier -- I would have to buy online; so I can't play with that one.

Can anyone speak to this?

AshleyAnn
04-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I would get the TFP. It has a continuous loop harness so you don't need to loosen and tighten the harness everytime you use it. I adjust DD's seat once a month at the most. It is a little wierd to get used to at first but once you know how to tug the harness to get it to even out side to side it makes it so much easier to get them out of the seat. Some people don't like it because the harness can get lopsided but thats rarely an issue for me.

The TFP's harness adjustor is sort of buried against the seat when its rearfacing but there is a hole in the anti-rebound bar than makes it easier to access. I can take a photo if you can't draw a mental picture. You just need to be able to get a finger down to the adjustor to push it and then I pull the straps from behind the seat. To tighten it you have to use the tug-tug-tug ratching method not a straight smooth pull which confuses some people and make them think the adjustor is harder than it is.

Joolsplus2
04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that is a good reason to look at the TFP. Thoughhhhh.... the new Britaxes (55/70) are butter compared to the old ones (50/65)...(nothing compares to the absolutely wondrous old RA40, except the Key Fit). Really, tons smoother than the old tug-tug-tug nightmare they used to be.

andielib
04-27-2011, 04:48 PM
The TFP's harness adjustor is sort of buried against the seat when its rearfacing but there is a hole in the anti-rebound bar than makes it easier to access. I can take a photo if you can't draw a mental picture. You just need to be able to get a finger down to the adjustor to push it and then I pull the straps from behind the seat. To tighten it you have to use the tug-tug-tug ratching method not a straight smooth pull which confuses some people and make them think the adjustor is harder than it is.

I would love to see a photo -- thanks!

I think I will have to go to BRU to play with the Britax. We had the old tug-tug-tug variety for my now 8-year-old. It was not great, but I managed OK. If the new one is better than that I may still be OK.

ssand23
04-28-2011, 09:59 PM
I have fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis in my hands. I have a Roundabout 50 & Marathon 70 for my youngest & have no problems with any of the straps, adjustments or anything. I tried out a bunch of seats in the store & chose those based in part on how easy they were to adjust & use. My oldest recently had a car accident (she's 17) and I am only considering Britax (either a Boulevard or Advocate since it's my ins that's paying) to replace the Marathon since I know I can adjust it & open & close the buckles with out a problem.

I also found that the Graco infant car seats were very hard (almost impossible) on me & my hands to adjust, open & close but the Chicco Key Fits were very easy so ds had a Key Fit 30 as his infant seat (he's 15 months now).

Nooknookmom
04-29-2011, 02:47 PM
I have fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis in my hands. I have a Roundabout 50 & Marathon 70 for my youngest & have no problems with any of the straps, adjustments or anything. I tried out a bunch of seats in the store & chose those based in part on how easy they were to adjust & use. My oldest recently had a car accident (she's 17) and I am only considering Britax (either a Boulevard or Advocate since it's my ins that's paying) to replace the Marathon since I know I can adjust it & open & close the buckles with out a problem.

I also found that the Graco infant car seats were very hard (almost impossible) on me & my hands to adjust, open & close but the Chicco Key Fits were very easy so ds had a Key Fit 30 as his infant seat (he's 15 months now).

I have Osteo and PA and I would so agree with the Britax. The straps/buckles are much easier to work with.

Also, pls consider the install. I have fought and cried in the backseat with other brands - my hands throbbing and red, the Britaxes install super easy!

AshleyAnn
04-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Sorry I didn't see the request for photos until today...

Here is the access hole with the TFP foot up

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1da08b3127ccefcaf61ec54ec00000030O00BbsmLRqzYsw e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

And this is my hand access the adjustor

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1da08b3127ccefcafc23914f000000030O00BbsmLRqzYsw e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

The TFP is NOT one of those seats that leaves your hands red and raw. The install is a lot like Britax. The cover flips open so you have access to the belt path and lock offs. The lock offs take a little learning curve but once you do it once they are simple. ETA my seat is installed as upright as allowed by LC.

andielib
04-29-2011, 11:38 PM
I went over to BRU today and found that the C&S Britaxes are rather difficult to adjust (though still easier than my old Britax, which you had to "tug-tug-tug"). The non-CS seats, however, seemed pretty ok. Sadly, they don't carry the TFP, so I wasn't able to compare.

However, knowing that I won't mangle my hands, I think we'll be going with the Britax. Sadly, BRU's price match program doesn't extend to online prices, so I guess I'll be ordering from Albeebaby (25% off right now! Woohoo!). Oh, well. As I told the BRU guy today, it's their loss.