PDA

View Full Version : Airplane carry-on question

MSWR0319
04-27-2011, 06:59 PM
We're getting ready for our first flight since DS was born and am curious if I can take the little cups of applesauce in our carryon?? I wasn't sure if they qualified as "liquids" or not. He has a peanut allergy and we're flying during lunch time so I'm just trying to figure out what i can take on board for him.

infomama
04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
I think you will be fine. They will just run it through the Xray.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

Reina
04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
It all depends where you're flying/what airport you're travelling in and out of and which jackass (ahem) is directing the security crew. Some days they have it out for mothers travelling with babies, some days they love us.

We fly quite a lot. I have had every type of experience you can imagine. Few months ago in winter, it was like a global free for all. We carried all types of food and no one stopped us to look inside the carry-ons. Then 3 months ago, at Heathrow they made me taste the small jars of apple sauce as well as the Baby Tylenol and made me use my eye drops while my son cried, screamed and tried running away. I actually complained to the supervisor on duty and gave them a piece of my mind!!!!
Last month at Heathrow nobody opened our food bag although it was chock full of food and drinks. Then last month at JFK, they made me dump my unopened bottles of water, but they were ok with ziploc bag full of sliced apples, and the 8 oz containers of milk.
You never know. Bring your food but don't get too attached to it.

hillview
04-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I am in agreement with PP that "it depends"

I take stuff like that and hope it works out but if it doesn't I am not shocked.
/hillary

MomToOne
04-27-2011, 08:07 PM
It all depends where you're flying/what airport you're travelling in and out of and which jackass (ahem) is directing the security crew. Some days they have it out for mothers travelling with babies, some days they love us.

We fly quite a lot. I have had every type of experience you can imagine. Few months ago in winter, it was like a global free for all. We carried all types of food and no one stopped us to look inside the carry-ons. Then 3 months ago, at Heathrow they made me taste the small jars of apple sauce as well as the Baby Tylenol and made me use my eye drops while my son cried, screamed and tried running away. I actually complained to the supervisor on duty and gave them a piece of my mind!!!!
Last month at Heathrow nobody opened our food bag although it was chock full of food and drinks. Then last month at JFK, they made me dump my unopened bottles of water, but they were ok with ziploc bag full of sliced apples, and the 8 oz containers of milk.
You never know. Bring your food but don't get too attached to it.

gee I feel so much safer now <sarcasm>

I'd just take it and hope for the best but prepare as best you can for the worst.

urquie
04-27-2011, 09:52 PM
i always travel with applesauce cups and milk boxes. the only blip was last time, when we forgot to pull out that bag of liquids... they had dh rub his hands on the (unopened) milk boxes, then they tested his hands for "residue." dh passed and we took all our food and drinks on the plane. :)

mikala
04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
We've also had mixed experiences. One airport was fine w/ unopened containers and just x-rayed them, another insisted I open all of the containers so they could be tested or submit to both a patdown for me and the baby. I grudgingly went for the pat-down as I was carrying a few unopened Tetra-pak cartons of milk. Opening the cartons prematurely would have ruined them for the flight--leaky mess, spoiled milk, ugh.

I'm all for air security but I will never understand how frisking a toddler because we dared to bring food for him will really make anyone safer.