PDA

View Full Version : BPA in old high chairs?

suomi777
04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I have just dragged my Chicco Polly out for my latest child. It was purchased for DS in 2005. I started to think, I wonder if it has BPA? I called Chicco and spoke with a customer service rep who went on and on about the current Polly, and then told me to look up ASTM standards and lots of other junk to try to figure out what is in my Polly because she has no idea. I asked her to research it and get back to me, and she said she would but basically told me not to expect any information.

SO--does anyone know if the Polly has been changed since it first came out? I don't really feel safe counting on the data they are giving me about the current model.

I have always hated it anyway, too hard to clean, but I really don't have lots of extra $$ to buy a new one.

Thank you!

lowrioh
04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I have just dragged my Chicco Polly out for my latest child. It was purchased for DS in 2005. I started to think, I wonder if it has BPA? I called Chicco and spoke with a customer service rep who went on and on about the current Polly, and then told me to look up ASTM standards and lots of other junk to try to figure out what is in my Polly because she has no idea. I asked her to research it and get back to me, and she said she would but basically told me not to expect any information.

SO--does anyone know if the Polly has been changed since it first came out? I don't really feel safe counting on the data they are giving me about the current model.

I have always hated it anyway, too hard to clean, but I really don't have lots of extra $$ to buy a new one.

Thank you!

Unless you child is going to lick the high chair BPA shouldn't be an issue no matter what plastics it is made from.
No offense to anyone but sometimes the BPA hysteria is a bit much.

hellokitty
04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
If you don't feel it is safe, would you be able to buy a gently used one (new with strict BPA req) or register for one? I guess I never thought about this. I used my FP Healthy Care HC from 2004 for DS3 and was just planning to keep it around after he's finished with it, in case friends' kids come over that need it.

waitingforgrace
04-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Unless you child is going to lick the high chair BPA shouldn't be an issue no matter what plastics it is made from.
No offense to anyone but sometimes the BPA hysteria is a bit much.

:yeahthat: I thought BPA was only a concern for plastic you eat out of or teething toys -items that will be in the mouth.

wellyes
04-28-2011, 12:36 PM
:yeahthat: I thought BPA was only a concern for plastic you eat out of or teething toys -items that will be in the mouth.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.

brittone2
04-28-2011, 12:53 PM
BPA is a concern in hard, clear plastics primarily. I have never seen a high chair with that type of plastic.

THere is new data that other plastics do have estrogen mimickers in them as well (not just BPA) however.

I wouldn't freak out about it and would use the high chair, because I doubt there is BPA in the tray. Probably something more like polypropylene?

Smillow
04-28-2011, 02:55 PM
I recently bought a potty seat for our toilet that has a sticker on it declaring it BPA free!

BabyBearsMom
04-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I recently bought a potty seat for our toilet that has a sticker on it declaring it BPA free!

Hopefully no one is trying to eat off of it :rotflmao:

suomi777
04-28-2011, 03:36 PM
For clarification:

I do have my children eat directly off the tray. I had read that anything exposed to heat (like in the dishwasher or during very hot washes) can expose the child to BPA.

I can't register for one, the baby is already here, and we didn't get many gifts anyway.

I could possibly buy a used one, but I am a little concerned that I might not be any better off than the one I have.

I have estrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer in my immediate family--I am very concerned about BPA.

Thanks.

barkley1
04-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Interesting article I just happened to come across in a newsletter I got today at work:

http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/2011/04/scaring-mothers-and-all-others-bpa-file.html

PGTB
04-28-2011, 04:15 PM
For clarification:

I do have my children eat directly off the tray. I had read that anything exposed to heat (like in the dishwasher or during very hot washes) can expose the child to BPA.

I can't register for one, the baby is already here, and we didn't get many gifts anyway.

I could possibly buy a used one, but I am a little concerned that I might not be any better off than the one I have.

I have estrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer in my immediate family--I am very concerned about BPA.

Thanks.

Could you possibly use your high chair without the tray, by pulling it up to your regular table? This way your baby can eat off the regular tabletop and you can buy just a stick on plate (BPA free) instead of a brand new high chair. I don't know about the high chair you have, so it may or may not work.

mikala
04-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Could you possibly use your high chair without the tray, by pulling it up to your regular table? This way your baby can eat off the regular tabletop and you can buy just a stick on plate (BPA free) instead of a brand new high chair. I don't know about the high chair you have, so it may or may not work.
:yeahthat:

You could train your child to eat using durable china or a stainless steel plate and try to minimize sippy cups by starting early with a real cup. That said I'd rank this lower on the BPA/chemical risk spectrum than the food itself. If you don't have the cash for a new chair (that might be identical or just have different chemicals...) I'd stick w/ the one you have and focus on other things to reduce estrogen-mimicking chemical exposure.

I would (and do) handwash our plastics and avoid heating plastics in the microwave. BPA is in most can liners so I'd limit exposure to canned foods, esp higher acid things like tomatoes. I'd pay attention to the dirty dozen fruits and veggies. I'd also pay attention to chemicals in topical products like lotions.

hellokitty
04-28-2011, 08:10 PM
After reading your update on details. I would suggest you get a new high chair. Not a fully sized one, but maybe one that is more of a booster style that attaches to a chair (fisher price has a nice one) if this is your last baby and you don't want to invest a lot in a new HC. It sounds like you don't like your old HC anyway.