PDA

View Full Version : Fav tall/slim brands for DD

SoloMelody
04-28-2011, 06:33 PM
DD is on the taller side height 95 percentile and is in the 25 percentile for weight. She is broad shouldered and narrow bottom/hips - inverted triangle type.

shirts fit well in the shoulder but are always short on the torso.
pants are always short and loose on the waist.

What brands make such tall/slim clothing. Looking for brands for
- daycare/play clothes
- slightly dressy/trendy weekend wear
- special occasions

Recent HA bike shorts in 90 - did not hit the knees, but fit ok in the waist. If I sized up I will get the right length but not they will be loose on the waist! help me...

MaiseyDog
04-29-2011, 11:14 AM
DD1 is tall and slim and has no hips or rearend. I like Tea Collection the best for her. I still have to size up to get the right length sometimes, but the are the only pants that she has that say up. And the jeans she had this winter were the only ones she would wear because all the other jeans (TCP, Old Navy, etc) that had adjustable waists had to be cinched up too so much that the extra elastic bugged her. I still had to cinch the Tea Collection jeans, but only a small amount.

I really like the look of HA, and on DD2 they work great, but for DD1 most of the tops are too box on her and the pants fall off her. She can wear the dresses, but that's about it.

I have not found any bike shorts that are long enough for DD1. We have a couple of pairs of knit bermuda shorts that work okay (TCP, I think). They are baggier than the bike shorts, but the length is a little better, and they work okay under dresses and dresses and such. She also has a pair of Old Navy skinny bermuda shorts that are perfect for tunic type tops. They were from last year, and I would bet they weren't a big seller, because they are supper skinny and even on DD1's pencil legs they are almost too tight, but any more typically shaped kid, they would be way too tight.

I know a lot of folks think that the "skinny" styles are too grown up or kids, but for DD1 they really work well. The more fitted T's and pants, which on other kids, might seem too body hugging are still rather loose, so we are able to use those and not have clothes that look baggy and have lots of extra fabric.

ETA- just noticed your DD's age. I don't think there are many slim and skinny offerings in toddler clothes. I would still recommend checking out Tea Collection because overall they just run slim. Otherwise, we did a lot of dresses at that age with just panty covers or really sized down on shorts for underneath. (DD1 is 6 and can easily where her sisters 3T shorts in the waist)

Indianamom2
04-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Gap and Old Navy have worked well for us. Granted, DD doesn't have broad shoulders and she is almost 7, but the shirts tend to be a longer length and run narrow.

newg
04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
DD is having the same problems (and also 3)...........I have found Carter's shirts tend to be long and skinny. So I have her in 4T shirts right now.....I also just bought a few t's from Lands End that look promising, but she hasn't worn them yet.
I am still on the hunt for the perfect pants/shorts............but I have actually been finding that the cheaper brands (Kohls Jumping Bean, Target Circo) have smaller waists, and shrink more........so I can buy for the length (3T/4T) and they shrink enough in the waist.
For dressy stuff I usually buy dresses and leggings..........it seems to be the only thing nice I can find that will fit DD.

AnnieW625
05-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Tops:
Carters seem to run true to size
Gap seems to run true to size
Gymboree I size up and I don't think they are too boxy
Hanna Andersson l/s tees tend to be too short and if I size up too boxy
I just bought DD1 two of these Hanna tank tops (http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC|10|2|24|376|2||&simg=37728_14C) so we'll see how they work
I usually have to size up with Target brands.

bottoms:
Hanna Andersson for Costco leggings (although I did have to size up from a 100 to a 110)
Gap leggings (the ones from the 2 for $22)
Gymboree leggings tend to run true to size but they don't make them in solid colors
Baby Gap Playdate Straight Jeans (love these, no underwear shows! I got them for DD1 in a 5 and they are a little long, but she just rolls them up)