PDA

View Full Version : Help with feeding DD on vacation

firemama
04-28-2011, 09:56 PM
I need your help ladies! I don't know if this belongs in the travel section, but since it's about food, I posted here. We are going to Hawaii in the summer for 8 days and I am just trying to wrap my head around how we are going to feed DD. I know we should probably be renting a condo or at least have a kitchen in our room, but that is not an option in our budget. Unless anybody knows of a condo in the Waikiki area for $140 a night :D. That is what we are paying for a partial ocean view (the cheapest room available at a hotel where family is also staying).

We are only feeding her veggies right now and she will be 1 when we go, so we will probably have moved on to fruit by then. Can we pack a knife with a blade guard in our suitcase? We have one like this: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/kuhn-rikon-multicolor-paring-knife-set/?pkey=cparing-knives .

I just don't know what the airlines allow, but it would be nice to have this to cut fruit/veggies in our room.

How do you feed your LOs when you travel? I want to feed her the best possible, but I know that may not BE possible. Are we just going to have to order steamed veggies at restaurants? Should I ask for a microwave in our room and cook them in there? I know we have a fridge in our room, so that helps. Or should we just buy jarred food? But if she's not used to it, will she eat it? And won't she kind of be done with pureed food by then?

I really have no clue. TIA!

mikala
04-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Relax, it will be fine. We traveled w DS at that age and food was much easier than I expected. When eating out you can feed her bites of whatever you are having plus whatever else you bring w you. If she needs additional veggies to round out her meal ask for an extra side.

For meals in the room your fridge gives you a lot of options. A microwave could help but it isn't necessary. For breakfast and snacks you can bring a bowl and spoon and give her cereal, yogurt, pb and toast, string cheese, avocado, hummus,yummy pineapple, whatever she likes at that point. Plan a stop at a local grocery when you arrive to pick up a few of her favorites, maybe check non perishables in your luggage.

For the plane ride I'd bring tons of snacks to distract her.

I don't know about a knife. Maybe in checked luggage but definitely not carry-on.

I wouldn't think much about the food aspect until you are closer to your trip and know her routine and preferences. Enjoy the trip!

LD92599
04-28-2011, 11:55 PM
We just went onvacation last week; i didnt take any special food with us for ds2. He ate whatever was available in the restaurants we ate in. He's 10 months today.

He ate everything from fruits and veggies, eggs, bread, rolls, chicken, beef, yogurts, pasta, pizza, etc.

BabyBearsMom
04-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Relax it will be fine. DD is one and at this point, she eats everything we eat (i.e. not just fruits and veggies, she eats whole meals). When we eat out with her, I usually get her some sort of grilled protein (fish, chicken, beef) and a steamed vegetable and will also give her bits off of my plate. Most restaurants now have healthier options on the children's menu than they used to. You can also order her pasta with butter which is a huge favorite for my DD. It is totally doable and your LO will be completely fine. When you are new to solids they can seem kind of overwhelming, but once your DD starts eating meals it becomes more second nature. I would not bring jarred food. My DD hasn't eaten jarred food since she was 7 months (we tried it, but she didn't love it).

I have these (http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Foods-Organic-Mashups-Squeezable/dp/B002C0RRYI) which I keep in my diaper bag for DD in case of a hunger melt down which would be great to keep in the room for a snack if you need one. DD will suck the fruit out of the top herself like a smoothie and LOVES them (warning they are messy, I recommend getting the troprical so it doesn't stain everything). We also like the GoGo Squeez AppleApple Applesauce for this.

LMPC
04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I agree this will be easier than you are expecting. When we traveled and DD was around 1 year, I took quite a few pouch foods (the ones that are both veggie and fruits). I found that much easier than jarred.

Have fun!!!

weech
04-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Relax it will be fine. DD is one and at this point, she eats everything we eat (i.e. not just fruits and veggies, she eats whole meals). When we eat out with her, I usually get her some sort of grilled protein (fish, chicken, beef) and a steamed vegetable and will also give her bits off of my plate. Most restaurants now have healthier options on the children's menu than they used to. You can also order her pasta with butter which is a huge favorite for my DD. It is totally doable and your LO will be completely fine. When you are new to solids they can seem kind of overwhelming, but once your DD starts eating meals it becomes more second nature. I would not bring jarred food. My DD hasn't eaten jarred food since she was 7 months (we tried it, but she didn't love it).

I have these (http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Foods-Organic-Mashups-Squeezable/dp/B002C0RRYI) which I keep in my diaper bag for DD in case of a hunger melt down which would be great to keep in the room for a snack if you need one. DD will suck the fruit out of the top herself like a smoothie and LOVES them (warning they are messy, I recommend getting the troprical so it doesn't stain everything). We also like the GoGo Squeez AppleApple Applesauce for this.

Kind of OT, but your DD doesn't squeeze the fruit pouches and squirt it everywhere?

Momto1
04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
ITA with PPs - everything will be just fine!! We took DD camping when she was 1 and we basically just gave her bits of what we were eating. I brought along a few of these for "just in case" http://www.amazon.com/Plum-Organics-Spinach-4-22-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B0031VBGX0 and they came in handy.

Plus, in Hawaii you'll be able to eat plenty of Papaya and Pineapple!

As far as a knife goes, I would either put it in your checked luggage, or if you're not checking luggage, just plan to buy one when you get there. DH and I went to Oahu on our honeymoon and we bought a little knife at the grocery store. We had fresh papaya in our hotel room every morning!