PDA

View Full Version : Aside from safety, why do you like car seats?

american_mama
04-29-2011, 02:07 AM
I am often impressed but also surprised by the car seat love on this board. What makes them so interesting - is it all about safety? So, I am posting a poll. If you keep very up to date on car seat models and features, if you enjoy buying car seats, if you love talking about them, why?

I am completely guessing at the possible reasons, so please add any ones I didn't think of. Remember, safety is a given, so I am looking for additional reasons you're very interested in car seat.

citymama
04-29-2011, 02:58 AM
It's pretty much all about safety, which is way more important than all those other factors put together, in my opinion. So much more important, that those other factors aren't even important.

It's kind of like: why do you eat chocolate? "I like fancy products." Um, no. "I like pretty wrapping papers." Wrong again. "Chocolate tastes gooood!" Bingo.

Back to car seats. Comfort would be a very distant second, but it's not on your list. So I chose other.

lisadpa
04-29-2011, 05:32 AM
Other: I'm just a weird freakin car seat geek!

♥ms.pacman♥
04-29-2011, 07:49 AM
i voted that i like owning the best of something.

BabyBearsMom
04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
I like baby gear. But aside from safety, I like that it keeps DD in one spot. There are very few things that can do that now, :ROTFLMAO:. I seriously strap her into the carseat to cut her nails, as it is the only way I can keep her still long enough.

arivecchi
04-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I like baby gear, but the main factor is that car accidents are the #1 killer of children. I have to make sure they are as protected as possible if we are ever in a severe accident.

AnnieW625
04-29-2011, 12:06 PM
The biggest portion of that is because I want my girls to be safe, I always have, even when I turned my DD1 around at 12 months old and 22lbs. Sure I could've done more research about extended rear facing, but my girl was still in safe seats and thankfully we were never in an accident. We bought a Britax for my car and an Evenflo for DH's car which our kids spent less time in. Comfort is probably the second most important feature in car seats and I learned this thanks to the lessons we learned with DD1. I plan to take DD2 car seat shopping with me when we buy her a new convertible seat in the next couple of months. The third factor is that I like baby gear. I also like having quality well made baby gear, but I am also not going to go and buy the Britax Advocate just to say that I have the most expensive Britax on the market (which I am pretty sure that BILW is doing because they have a 2009 Yukon XL Denali and not a 1986 Honda Civic that has no side airbags is 20+ yrs. old, etc., ykwim?)

AshleyAnn
04-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I love the technology. Lock offs, EPS, Anti-Rebound features - they make my heart skip a beat.

Joolsplus2
04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
It's the continuing education hours I love... I learn physics and product details, but without having to take a really hard test at the end. (Same reason I sort of like laundry, it's just one big chemistry experiment)

I actually checked every box, I think your answer choices were surprisingly astute :thumbsup:

american_mama
05-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I actually checked every box, I think your answer choices were surprisingly astute :thumbsup:

That;s because I know you, Julie, and was thinking of you on more than a few of the possible answers!

To a PP, I get the comparison to way does someone like chocolate - it's all about one thing, the taste - but you can substitute other products and there is a lot more to why a person might be really interested in that item. I think people like wine for a variety of reasons - the taste, the global business, the science, the expertise factor, the image of a wine lover, even the feel of the wine glass. Same thing with cars - lots and lots and lots of reasons why people like racecars, for instance, and it's not all because they go really fast.

lisadpa
05-03-2011, 05:41 AM
To a PP, I get the comparison to way does someone like chocolate - it's all about one thing, the taste - but you can substitute other products and there is a lot more to why a person might be really interested in that item. I think people like wine for a variety of reasons - the taste, the global business, the science, the expertise factor, the image of a wine lover, even the feel of the wine glass. Same thing with cars - lots and lots and lots of reasons why people like racecars, for instance, and it's not all because they go really fast.

If this was FB, I'd be "liking" it!!!!!