PDA

View Full Version : It's frustrating when friends just don't get it

sidmand
04-29-2011, 10:11 AM
I thought about posting this in the Bitching Forum but it honestly really isn't. And I know some people won't understand...And I'm sure you all will know exactly what I mean.

No, it really won't be fun to "meet up" at the zoo, museum, etc. It would be so much less stressful (and more likely we'd get a chance to talk!) if we have a playdate at my house.

And going out to lunch and then going back to my house is not what I had in mind either. I'm sure you're just trying to make it easier on me, but it really really won't!!!

I've tried to explain but it doesn't seem to be getting through. :(

karstmama
04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
exactly! much less stressful in my kid-proofed realm than out where i have to run after him the whole time.

Pepper
04-29-2011, 07:57 PM
oh, yessssssss...it sure is.

I have a group of friends that i met when our 1st ones were all little, like 18 mos or less. I dearly love all of these women but as our kids have gotten older, it's just gotten so much more difficult to get together with the no-longer-so-little ones.

Lately we've been doing more mommies only nights and tyring to meet up for dinner, etc. Much less stressful for me and we get to have actual conversations ;-)

crl
04-30-2011, 09:21 AM
I understand. I used to suggest park playdates because they really worked for my kid. The noisy hands on children's museum? Ugh. Torture. Can't tell you how many times I turned down those kinds of suggestions.

Catherine

lowrioh
04-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I completely agree and luckily most of my friends, even those without kids, completely agree. We usually only get together at each other's houses or the playground. When our friends without kids want to have us over I always suggest that we host during the colder months and they have us over when the kids can play outside.
I'd much rather have people come to my house and order Chinese than have to take DD1 to a restaurant....it is a nightmare!
I hear it gets better though.

Gena
05-02-2011, 03:44 PM
:hug: Hugs. I know what you mean. It's really hard when friends and family don't get it.

One of my close friends recently called me because she was concerned about her 2.5 year old daughter's development. It turns out that her DD doesn't hold a crayon correctly. She's ahead in all other areas of development, but hasn't yet mastered the tripod grasp. My friend was very worried and thought I would understand. All I could think was "Really, this your huge developmental concern? That there is one area where your child is not ahead of the curve? Wow."