PDA

View Full Version : Pantry inventory and organization

infomama
04-30-2011, 07:52 PM
My pantry has two high/deep shelves and I honestly loose stuff up there. Monday I am taking inventory and organizing my pantry. This site as some good ideas http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2010/05/cook-more-real-food-take-inventory-of-your-pantry.html
I also like the idea of putting pantry items together in bins with a recipe card for meal ideas. Suggestions? This is my project for Monday.
Share apps, too! This looks cool http://www.outofmilkapp.com/static/index.html

LMPC
04-30-2011, 09:04 PM
I only store seasonal stuff on my top shelves or things like my extra box of wine glasses. On some of the lower shelves I have stair like shelves...hope that makes sense. It allows the stuff in the back to be seen and I always know what's there. I love them! I don't group according to meal...I'm so not that organized. I do more of the breakfast grouping, the snack grouping, the canned food grouping....

niccig
05-01-2011, 02:27 AM
I don't group according to meal...I'm so not that organized. I do more of the breakfast grouping, the snack grouping, the canned food grouping....

:yeahthat: to similar groupings.

I have a top shelf of my pantry that I can not reach without a step stool, it's also deep so no way I can see what is in there. I put bulk items like extra flour/sugar, cereal etc. I have containers of these on the shelves below, and I top up as I run out of them. At the front of the top shelf, I have a basket with different chips/pretzels etc. The rule is supposed to be that you put the basket on the counter and take a bag that is already opened and closed with a chip clip. Inevitably, DH just opens a new bag and I end up with 3 bags of stale pretzels with 1/4 left in the bottom. I think I need to hide the unopened bags so he has to ask me for them.

BayGirl2
05-02-2011, 07:19 PM
We use the GroceryIQ app to manage our shopping list. The nice feature is that it syncs between DH and my iPhones so we both always have an updated list if we end up at the store. It also lets you group lists by store.

But we still haven't found one that lets you manage an inventory of the pantry or freezer - that's what we need for our garage freezer. We also have an app for our wine inventory - but that's probably not relevant here....

KrisM
05-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I use a list like that for freezer meals. You make one diagonal of the x for the count of the item. then, when you use one, make the other diagonal to indicate it's gone.

Example:
/ / / / - spaghetti sauce (indicates I have 4 spaghetti sauces)

/ / / X - spaghetti sauce (indicates I now have 3)

On my top shelf, I have a sideways copy paper box. I keep paper towel rolls inside it and extra boxed goods on top. In the front, I have cereal boxes.

As for the rest of the pantry, I decided it's too hard and I only keep what we use daily in it or one of something. Like peanut butter is there and 1 box of crackers. Everything else is on the shelf in the laundry room. It's easier to find things.

Post some pictures!

infomama
05-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I use a list like that for freezer meals. You make one diagonal of the x for the count of the item. then, when you use one, make the other diagonal to indicate it's gone.

Example:
/ / / / - spaghetti sauce (indicates I have 4 spaghetti sauces)

/ / / X - spaghetti sauce (indicates I now have 3)

On my top shelf, I have a sideways copy paper box. I keep paper towel rolls inside it and extra boxed goods on top. In the front, I have cereal boxes.

As for the rest of the pantry, I decided it's too hard and I only keep what we use daily in it or one of something. Like peanut butter is there and 1 box of crackers. Everything else is on the shelf in the laundry room. It's easier to find things.

Post some pictures!
That is a great idea (with the slash marks). Project got pushed back so tomorrow is the day. I think I'm going to try that app (out of milk), too.