PDA

View Full Version : Can babywearing cause hip dysplasia?

swissair81
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
My baby has uneven thigh folds and a hip click. We are doing diagnostic studies this coming week. I didn't even think of it until I was talking to someone about it and I was wearing my baby in my mei tai, with her legs on either side of me. They asked me if maybe the babywearing is part of the problem. I'm not very wide, but I was wondering if any baby wearers have ever heard of this. I was inclined to say it's irrelevant, mostly because I only wear her when I have more than one kid with me, and I don't have room to bring a double. I didn't want to ignore it though. Anyone know anything about this?

LMPC
05-01-2011, 08:34 PM
When we went for DD US for her hips way back when, the radiologist told us that anecdotally Native Americans have the highest incidence of hip dysplasia and Southerners have the lowest. He said it seemed to be that NA papoose their babies with the legs straight down...and that Southerners are more prone to carry their babies with the baby's legs splayed across the mom's hips. So given that logic, carrying your baby with legs across you would be better. Does that make sense? HTH. I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but hey, should be worth something!

hellbennt
05-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I want to say that if you're wearing the baby correctly, w/ knees higher than bum, then everything should be fine? you might want to search over at thebabywearer (I'm not good at searching there- I was used to the old way and the new forum isn't so new, lol, it's just that I don't spend time over there like I did 8 & 5 years ago...)

AshleyAnn
05-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I have hip dysplasia so I did a lot of research about it prior to having DD and there have been studies done say that baby bjorn style carriers do and do not affect baby's hip development. If she's seated in the mei tie correctly it should be ok because the weight of the baby is on her bottom not her crotch. Technically a proper mei tie position should have her hips in the right position but only a doctor can verify its right for your LO. Definately ask her doctor if you should limit the time she spends in it. They know better than anyone how advanced your DD's dysplasia and where/how it is affected.

amldaley
05-02-2011, 01:07 AM
DD has DDH (hip dysplasia) and our pediatric ortho from UNC-Chapel Hill, one of the best in the country, assured me that babywearing does not CAUSE it. It can AGGREVATE it if you are not carrying correctly. Be sure to use a carrier with a wide base which pushes baby's legs apart in to a froggy position with bent knees. This is one of the main concerns with carriers like the Bjorn - narrow carrier crotch.

If you have other DDH questions, pls don't hesistate to ask.

swissair81
05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm guessing that in this case, it didn't cause DDH, because...she doesn't have it. We had the ultrasound today, and luckily we are done with that scare.

Uno-Mom
05-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Hey, that's good news!

It was odd that you posted this question this week - just Sunday I got my first IRL question about that ever. An elder lady at church asked if I was worried about Sprog's hip development since I use the Ergo & mei tai so much! No one had ever asked me that before ...

swissair81
05-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Hey, that's good news!

It was odd that you posted this question this week - just Sunday I got my first IRL question about that ever. An elder lady at church asked if I was worried about Sprog's hip development since I use the Ergo & mei tai so much! No one had ever asked me that before ...

I've never been asked that before either. I have 4 kids, and someone asked me for the first time last week.

brittone2
05-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Echoing PPs, if you are carrying baby with legs spread, etc. it shouldn't be a problem. A "frogged" leg posture is actually used to help with hip dysplasia.