PDA

View Full Version : Recommend shoes for 16m old late walker at daycare

div_0305
05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
UPDATE in POST #16

My 16m old just started walking regularly at 15.5 months--still a bit unstable. Daycare asked for hard sole shoes, but they seem satisfied with Pediped originals on her (yay!). I'm thinking of the Grip'n'go line of Pedipeds now. Are there any other similar soled shoes from other brands I should consider. She wears these all day, so they have to strike a match between comfortable, sturdy, and good for her soles. Pedipeds are $$ for us, and I don't see any great deals right now, so I would like some more affordable shoe options. TIA!

katydid1971
05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
See Kia Run and Robeez both have very flexible soles. Robeez is owned by Stride Rite and I have found them at the SR outlet for a good price (less than $20)

lizzywednesday
05-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I just bought sneakers for my DD so I could take her to daycare in a pinch. We went to Stride Rite to get fitted, but I'd rather not make a habit of spending $30/pair on shoes she's going to outgrow within a few months.

I'm looking for other options, especially since I need to buy wides.

div_0305
05-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I have Robeez for her, but at daycare, the playground is mulch. They are too flexible and soft for her on the playground, as she feels the mulch right through the soles. We have gravel at home, which makes the Robeez useless unfortunately. I see Stride Rite soft motion SRT, which is softer than the toddler SRT it seems ---perhaps these are like the Pediped Grip'n'go?

katydid1971
05-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Robeez has rubber soled shoes too, not just leather soled ones.
I looked at Target's website and they have some that look like Pediped knock offs.
http://www.target.com/Pre-Walk-Infant-Girls-Circo-Adelia/dp/B003ZTM1T6/ref=br_1_10?ie=UTF8&id=Pre-Walk%20Infant%20Girls%20Circo%20Adelia&node=1250316011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid3&searchPage=2&sr=1-10&qid=1304357788&rh=&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Cstyle_name%2Ctarget_com_shoe_size-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

Tondi G
05-03-2011, 01:08 AM
see kai run!!!! super soft leather with a flexible rubber sole. Loved them when my DS was little!

http://www.seekairun.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SKRN&keywords=Girls

BabyBearsMom
05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
We use Stride Rite and really like them for DD. I am not a fan of See Kai Run. DD wore through a pair of them in about 2 months to the point that there was a hole in the shoe. I think their quality may have gone down hill. If you do order them, they run very large.

waitingforgrace
05-03-2011, 10:19 AM
We've liked the Stride Rite step 2 like these http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/subcategory?trail=1002%3Acat1530650SR&subCatId=cat1530650SR&catId=cat1530399SR

DD didn't start walking until a month ago and although these are flexible they seem to give her good support.

TwoBees
05-03-2011, 10:46 AM
We've liked the Stride Rite step 2 like these http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/subcategory?trail=1002%3Acat1530650SR&subCatId=cat1530650SR&catId=cat1530399SR

DD didn't start walking until a month ago and although these are flexible they seem to give her good support.

We just got these for DD last week. She just started walking (18 months) and took off the moment we put the shoes on (literally, in the store). They made a huge different in her stability.

div_0305
05-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Thank you so much!!!!! I hope I can find these at the SR outlet at a good price. Otherwise, with this feedback, I will purchase at full price if I have to. Thanks, again!!

I agree about SKR---with my son, I saw how quickly they wore out--not even able to donate them after 2 months of use. Too bad, as they were awesome while they lasted :)

AnnieW625
05-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I was very happy with See Kai Run shoes I bought for DD1 but I bought them in 2007. She wore the flexible soled ones first, and then the harder soled ones. I don't think I would put a 16 month old walker in their Smaller line of shoes though as the soles seem very thin.

ETA: Just so you know the Stride Rite Step 2 shoes only come in certain widths and some of them don't come in an XW or higher than a size 5 . This was the brand I tried first with DD1 but by the time she was walking she was in a 6XXW and Stride Rite didn't work for her.

mikala
05-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I really liked the Robeez mini-shoez for this age. Thin waterproof sole, some padding but really flexible and my new walker had a natural stride in them instead of the hard-soled duck waddle.

http://www.diapers.com/products/Robeez-Mini-Shoez-Scalloped-Pop-Flower-47010

We also tried the Stride Rite shoes someone mentioned but our model was really poor quality. The store manager was surprised when we returned them after a week until she realized that their in-store sample was starting to show the same type of unusual wear.

wendibird22
05-09-2011, 11:42 AM
DD2 is 16mos and in pedipeds original. The sole is thicker than original robeez and very durable. The pair she is wearing was worn by DD1 and the bottoms still look new.

AnnieW625
05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
DD1 was not walking well until she was almost 17 months old but at that time she wore Pediped Originals, and Crocs. I was planning on reusing the same Pediped Originals with DD2 that DD1 wore, but DD2 has tiny feet (barely starting to wear 6-12 mos. size) so she may not even wear them for a while, but moral of the story is that the soles on DD1's Pedipeds Originals she wore as a new walker are still in great shape.

I like Robeez Originals too (Bobux Originals are great too!) and for non park type play I think they are still a great choice for <than 2 yr. olds. DD1 wore hers until she was just shy of 2 when not at the park.

Nooknookmom
05-09-2011, 03:09 PM
see kai run!!!! super soft leather with a flexible rubber sole. Loved them when my DS was little!

http://www.seekairun.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SKRN&keywords=Girls

Loved SKR at that age...enough protection on the sole but super flexible!

div_0305
05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Went shopping over the weekend. Stride Rite's shoes did not fit well. Daughter measures wide, but must have a high instep because the SR's were digging into the top of her foot just before her toes start. I thought it was just the mary jane styles that might be too low of an opening at the toese, but was obvious even in their "sneaker" style shoes.

No one near me had Pediped Grip n Go, so I ordered online.

I pulled out my son's See Kai Run shoes from that age, and quickly realized how annoyed I was that they looked so old after just a short while; he didn't even wear them that much each day. Daughter's Pediped Originals still look nearly new after daily all day wear for a couple months. So as much I like the SKR styles, they are not durable enough in my experience. I may just buy all daughter's shoes from Pediped since they fit her feet style so well and have proven so durable!