PDA

View Full Version : Finding Time

MissAndi
05-03-2011, 02:54 AM
Hi all!

So, DS is now 12 weeks old. I'm a SAHM, but I can't seem to find 30 minutes a day to exercise. (Those of you who work and/or have other little ones... I have no idea how you do it and I'm in awe of you). He's not a good sleeper, as i basically have to be sleeping with him or he doesn't sleep. We're working on a plan to work with this. I babywear with him, and try to take a walk a day so at least I'm getting some exercise.

I got pretty lucky in that I've already lost my pregnancy weight (please don't throw things!), but I chalk most of that up to taking walks in our very, very hilly neighborhood almost daily plus trying to eat healthy (not diet, just eating a handful of almonds instead of a handful of chips KWIM?). I'm also BFing and he eats... a LOT.

However, my body has changed from the pregnancy. It's sort of like my butt fell down (It was once perky, now just looks like it slid off--so weird), and of course my mid-section has changed.

I bought the Tracy Anderson Post Partum workout, and I have several yoga/pilates/exercise ball DVDS. I also have the New York City Ballet Workout DVDs (these kill me when I'm out of shape, but I love them). My problem is that I can't seem to find more than 10 minutes at a time to do anything (including shower...if I can take a shower and wash my hair, it was a good day) since DS hates to be put down anywhere. So, if I have the option to take a shower or do some exercises, well, for everyone's sake, I shower. :) Hm. I wonder if I could do abs IN the shower? hm. Nope, too small of a shower.

So... should I just put aside my DVDs until he's a little older and keep up my walks, or do ya'll have suggestions for carving out 30 minutes 3 or so times a week with a baby who HATES to be put down?

Thoughts?
:wavey:

wellyes
05-03-2011, 06:55 AM
You're doing great for a mom of a 3 month old!!

Do you have a husband / significant other? It's very hard to work out when watching a baby, and when the baby sleeps --- that time is so precious, use it for what makes you happiest. When the baby is awake and being taken care of by someone else, that's when I'd squeeze in DVDs.

If you can find a gym with a child drop off, that's an option too. 3 months may be a bit young for a fussy kid, but it won't be long before he's sitting up and playful and ready to hang out.

artvandalay
05-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Congratulations on your new baby!

I totally sympathize with you here. I am a SAHM of 3. I like exercising at home because I can quickly get in a short workout while my little one naps. She's 11 months old. Your baby will start sleeping for longer stretches soon. I would think that time should be coming soon. When she was little I wore her all the time. She hated to be put down. She got better as she got older.

Doing long walks in a hilly area is great exercise! But I, too, like doing exercise DVD's in addition to running/walking.

My baby takes 2 naps a day. What I usually do is either exercisise really early in the morning before everyone gets up (this RARELY happens because DD is a terrible sleeper and is still getting up at night) or, wait until her morning nap around 9:30. The second she falls asleep, I do a (30 minute) program, like the running on the treadmill or a 30 minute DVD like 30 Day Shred. Then I take the fastest shower and I still have a little time leftover.

Do you have a swing? My boys loved the swing, but my daughter hates it. You could put your little one awake in the swing close to what would be a nap time, (maybe start to establish a time - like 9am) and start exercising and hope he falls asleep in it.

If the swing doesn't work, just hang in there. He will be taking longer naps soon. I couldn't bear to hear my little one scream while I was exercising.

Good luck!

ETA: It's ok if he fusses a bit if you put him in the swing in the beginning. He may not be used to the swing. If he likes the constant motion of being with you in your carrier, he might like the swing.