PDA

View Full Version : How accurate are u/s at determining gender?

janine
05-05-2011, 08:42 AM
At 15-16 weeks? 18-20 weeks?

My guess is 18-20 is very accurate since this is when the anatomy scan is and usually when people find out. I had a detailed scan at 16wks1 day and they took a guess (girl) and I think that's what it looked like to me too. I would say the tech was experienced but she did say it was only her guess and to wait a bit longer.

So what do you think? I know it's minor in the big scheme of things but can't help but wonder!

trcy
05-05-2011, 08:51 AM
I think it is pretty accurate. Although some friends of ours were told they were having a girl, then at another us a few weeks later (to check placenta location) found out they were actually having a boy. This was about 5 years ago.

ashleybama24
05-05-2011, 09:28 AM
I was told even at 20 wks they are only 95% accurate. The only way to really know what you are having is to deliver! :bighand:

wellyes
05-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Well they see "it" or they don't, right?
If they don't, and have a lot of experience looking, I'd assume she was right.

Congrats on your little girl :)

janine
05-05-2011, 09:33 AM

Congrats on your little girl :)

I agree - I just wasn't sure if everything was fully visible (developed) at that stage vs. 4 wks later.

lowrioh
05-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I think that the 20 week ones are really accurate, especially if they get a good shot of the genitals. My girls were both heads down for most of my pregnancy and because I was a "high risk" I had monthly scans. I found out with DD1 at 14 weeks and DD2 at my 16 week US. I had a fetal echocardiogram later on with a high resolution instrument and I could clearly see that they were girls when the tech did the anatomy scan.
I did ask the tech to check every time I went just to make sure though.:)

scrooks
05-05-2011, 09:47 AM
We found out with DD at 16 weeks. With my most recent pregnancy we found out at 16 weeks as well. With DS I didn't have a 16 week and found out at 20.

chottumommy
05-05-2011, 09:55 AM
SIL was told it was a girl with 90% accuracy at her 20th week scan but turned out to be a boy. It was a major shock for her. This was last year.

Minnifer
05-05-2011, 10:54 AM

I've always been told that it's more accurate when they see a boy - b/c if they do see "it" then they know, but if they don't see "it" that doesn't necessarily mean it's not there - in other words, the absence of a penis doesn't mean it's a girl, it's the presence of labia etc that means it's a girl, especially early on. My understanding is that by 20 wks it's pretty accurate all around (but still only 95%). My DS-to-be showed his stuff early on (and prominently! :p) so I'll be shocked if he's not a boy!

Edensmum
05-05-2011, 10:55 AM
It depends if they get a good look in the right area or not. If baby is in a bad position then no, it's not very accurate, but they usually tell you it's a guess or they can't really see. Other times it's very clear and they have no doubt. I'd go more with how sure the tech sounded than anything else.

lizzywednesday
05-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Our friends have a DC 1 month younger than our DD.

With their 1st, they opted not to find out what "flavor" DC they were having; since this DC was their 2nd, they asked to be told.

They were told DC#2 was a DD.

They painted the nursery pink & purple, picked out a girl name and waited for the 38-wk scheduled C-section.

When DC#2 was delivered ...

... it was DS#2 not a DD!

Poor li'l guy went a couple days without a name while our friends recovered from the surprise.

So ... I'd say it all depends on your u/s tech & don't start buying pink yet.

Mommy_Mea
05-06-2011, 07:42 AM
This is partially one reason why I choose not to find out the gender, I have heard a lot of stories of the prediction being wrong. I know I would go nuts with the pink if I thought I was having a girl!

DC2 has been very uncooperative with the U/S anyways (we have to repeat the 18 week U/S a few times to get everything), so I am thinking we wouldn't have known for sure if we had wanted to find out!

hez
05-06-2011, 08:11 AM
SIL was told it was a girl with 90% accuracy at her 20th week scan but turned out to be a boy. It was a major shock for her. This was last year.

Had friends have the same thing happen. Their first was a girl, so there went the plan of the baby wearing mostly hand-me-downs!

We painted the nursery for DS, but I refused to wash any of the clothes except his coming home outfit with the crazy thought that I could take them back if the U/S was wrong and he was really a girl :p Both my kids' genders were predicted correctly.

jerigirl
05-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I've always been told that it's more accurate when they see a boy - b/c if they do see "it" then they know, but if they don't see "it" that doesn't necessarily mean it's not there - in other words, the absence of a penis doesn't mean it's a girl, it's the presence of labia etc that means it's a girl, especially early on. My understanding is that by 20 wks it's pretty accurate all around (but still only 95%).

:yeahthat:

AnnieW625
05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Prior to the u/s with DD2 (with DD1 neither of us wanted to find out) two co workers both had friends who had found out and they ended up with the opposite sex. So while I really did have faith in the u/s tech who did the u/s with DD2 (and I actually saw spread legs and nothing in between) we decided that we didn't want to take a chance, plus the nursery was already gender neutral and we liked it (farm animals) so we didn't need to or want to repaint. Not a huge deal for us. If we had really wanted to find out later on in the pregnancy I would've had my dr. do an u/s at an appointment.