PDA

View Full Version : When to introduce Raw Carrots?

BabbyO
05-05-2011, 10:51 AM
DS is almost 2 (22 mo) and LOVES carrots. We have cooked/steamed carrots on a regular basis...but DH and I eat raw carrots nearly daily and they've always been an easy grab n go snack for us.

DS begs us to give him raw carrot all the them. Thing is I read somewhere that raw carrots, along with hot dogs, popcorn, nuts and a few others are among the top foods that can cause choking.

He has almost 16 teeth now (cutting 2 of his canines right now) and is generally good about chewing unless he is REALLY hungry.

We've tried grating them...but he's not interested. This is strange territory for me since DS is a BLW boy and I've never pureed or processed his food other than to cook it.

Just wondering if we should continue cooking the carrots, or if we can go with maybe thinner strips of raw carrot at this age?

lizzywednesday
05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Can you do carrot sticks? They're the same size/shape as BLW suggests (British "chip" = US "French fry") and if he's used to handling sticks, it should be OK.

It's not like you're leaving him unsupervised with food, IYKWIM.

BabyBearsMom
05-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I think that as long as your cut them up so they are smaller than a choking size, it is fine. I give DD hotdogs from time to time but I quarter them and slice them thin.

wendibird22
05-05-2011, 01:24 PM
DD2 is 16mos and we give her matchstick carrots to eat.