PDA

View Full Version : Leaving my still nursing 2 yr old for 10 days! What will happen?

cdlamis
05-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I leave for a 10 day overseas trip (family wedding, way too $$ to bring her with me). DD#3 is 2 yrs old and has no interest in weaning. I, on the other hand, have no interest in pumping for 10 days either! :)

After 10 days without nursing, will my milk completely dry up? I want to resume nursing when I return but since she is 2 (and close to weaning anyway), it's not that big of a deal if I dry up during that time. I guess I am asking out of curiousity- so I know what to expect.

TIA!

Smillow
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
I have gone 48 hours with no problems. I am curious about this as well. I have a 3 1/2 day trip planned later this month.

Melaine
05-05-2011, 07:09 PM
I would be shocked if you didn't dry up after 10 days but I didn't exactly have the most normal nursing experience.

Nechums
05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
DS self weaned at 16 months, but then randomly asked for milk about a week later (I think it was 6 days later). I had milk in only one side-- the side that always produced more than the other.

sariana
05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
No BTDT, but I would think that pumping only a few times during the trip would be enough to keep some sort of supply going. You wouldn't need to pump every day for 10 days. Then when you return, your supply will readjust to your DD's needs.

From what I've read about EBF, some children continue to nurse intermittently for years, but not on a daily basis. As long as there is some "activity" every once in a while, the milk ducts keep producing milk. At least that's how I understand it.

DrSally
05-05-2011, 08:08 PM
I went 48 hours when DS was 18 mo old and still nursing 7 times per day. I could not get a let down with the pump, so I hand expressed 1x a day in the shower. I still had milk when I came home, but I wouldn't doubt that my supply dipped. IDK about 10 days. I'd hand express for sure.

ahrimie
05-05-2011, 08:46 PM
If it were MY body, I'm almost positive I would dry up but I guess it depends on how nursing has been for you. If there's always been a lot of milk and never any problems, maybe not. But if you want to keep nursing, I would pump at least once a day or every other. 10 days seems like a really long time.

hillview
05-05-2011, 09:12 PM
With DS2 I had milk for MONTHS I swear. It was SO uncool.
/hillary

essnce629
05-05-2011, 09:22 PM
DS1 went on a nursing strike for 10 days when he was 21 months old. I thought he had weaned on his own so I didn't pump or anything during that time (I'd ask him if he wanted to nurse and he'd say no). But after 10 days he asked to nurse again and went back to nursing for 3 more months! So it's definately possible to go back to nursing, but I don't think I'm the norm and I think a lot of toddlers would probably wean after going that long without nursing. I'd be prepared for him not wanting to nurse once you get back, but maybe still offer when you return?

cdlamis
05-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I have had really good milk supply so I hope pumping a few times will be enough.