PDA

View Full Version : Almond colored trim in house, what type of colors for walls?

SammyeGail
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
We are in the process of buying a house, hopefully close at end of month. All the trim (baseboards, doors, etc) is painted a medium almond color, that's the best way to describe it. Not an off white, like a very, very light tan.

First thing I thought was I'd just paint over it all with white, but now I realize that is just too much work! I know myself, it would take me forever to finish it ;).

I thought of using some bright colors, but feel it would clash horribly with the 'beige' trim. We just moved to FL and I like all the bright colors I see on and in homes. I feel like I'm stuck with very natural or pastel tones.

Wish I could post a pic from iPhone, don't know how!

Anyone have tanish trim? Any suggestions or ideas for decor with paint? The walls are all the same color as the trim, it a bit bland.

I have some bright colored decor pieces I would like to match, kwim? From the trim color it seems a green or blue-green is the only thing I can think of :(.

boolady
05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
What about using a darker tan color on the walls? My parents' family room at their old house had pale almond/tan trim, slightly lighter almond/tan beadboard ceiling, and darker tan walls. It looked really nice, and was totally neutral. That way, you can just use it as a neutral backdrop against whatever brightly colored pieces you have.

ETA: I had that backwards. The walls were the lightest, the ceiling was next, and the almond trim was the darkest, though none of it was dark at all.

brittone2
05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Are you thinking bright like primary or very clear (no "muddiness" to them) colors? (I think these clear colors or primary colors often look best with a brighter white). Can you work with darker or more intense but muddier colors?

I think w/ the almond I'd go muddier. Off the top of my head, browns, maybe aubergine, a muddy green?

mackmama
05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I would just treat the tan molding as though it was ivory. In other words, I think it's a neutral and will go with most warm (or some cool) wall colors. As long as the wall color is significantly lighter or darker than the tan molding, the contrast should look great.