PDA

View Full Version : I weaned the babies and I'm sad.

JoyNChrist
05-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Maybe this is a bitching post? I dunno...

The babies are 8 months old and I decided to wean them. I started cutting our nursing sessions back last week and this is the second day they haven't nursed at all.

And now I'm sitting here kind of wanting to cry.

I didn't really have a reason for quitting, and now I feel a little guilty. We weren't having supply issues, I wasn't going back to work...I was just kind of tired of it all. They started solids and weren't needing to nurse as often, and then they got a couple teeth and bit me a few times, and I just decided I was done.

And now I feel kind of bad about it. I mean, I'm a LLL junkie, I nursed DS1 for a year, and even with them being preemies and in the NICU (and twins, of course), we really had a pretty easy, successful breastfeeding relationship.

And these are our last babies and now I won't get to nurse another baby and...wah. I hate hormones and mommy guilt.

sariana
05-05-2011, 09:05 PM
You're totally awesome for nursing twins for 8 months!

I do understand your mixed feelings, but you should be very proud that you were able to do that for so long.

Tondi G
05-05-2011, 09:07 PM
HUGS Mama. It's alright. You can always try to bump it back up if you really want to continue but look you nursed TWINS for 8 months!!!!! 8 months per child = 16 months of nursing! You did good... don't beat yourself up for weaning... you had your reasons. They will be drinking whole milk out of a sippy cup before you know it. When I had DS2 and ended up on a med that I couldn't nurse on I felt awful. I nursed DS1 till he was over 2 and this one I had to stop at 2 weeks. I tried to re-introduce it and he wanted nothing of it. I came to terms with it and it was all good. He is no less bright or healthy than his breastfed brother. But I guess what I'm saying is that it's pretty normal to feel a little guilty ... try to move forward and let it go!

MomToOne
05-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I think that it would be hard no matter what age you weaned them. If they were four and you were weaning them you'd be sad for a while...probably not guilty lol but still sad. It's just an emotional transition. It will pass, hang in there.

SkyrMommy
05-05-2011, 09:10 PM
:hug: I think it is wonderful that you were able to nurse them both for so long. Give yourself a chance to cry because it's a moment and stage of their life that is moving by, but then go give them hugs and kisses and tickles and enjoy everything to come!!!

KpbS
05-05-2011, 09:11 PM
No guilt, you did a great job, mama! :bighand:

cindys
05-05-2011, 09:16 PM
You did awesome, Stacey!!!!

You should be really really proud of yourself!

But, I do understand your feelings...

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 5 & 2 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

LMPC
05-05-2011, 09:19 PM
You did great! I think it's totally normal that you would be feeling a sense of loss after weaning your babies...no matter what their ages! Give yourself a big :thumbsup: because you deserve it!!

Green_Tea
05-05-2011, 09:27 PM
I totally understand.

I weaned DS 3.5 years ago, and I still feel sad sometimes. Sometimes I just ache to nurse a baby.

You did an amazing job giving them an awesome gift for so long. You should be so proud!

elektra
05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Well after the trouble I had with DD, I don't think I would have even attempted to nurse twins! I weaned DS earlier that I weaned DD too. I was having supply issues and I was also just spent, physically and mentally. No regrets now!
You did great. :)

TxCat
05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
:hug:

I can't even imagine successfully nursing twins for 8 months - that's fantastic! Unfortunately, even common sense doesn't always trump mommy guilt. It's the passing of another stage, and it's hard not to feel sad about it.

BTW, I selfishly want to thank you for posting this - I just weaned my DD 2 weeks ago, and I felt really sad and guilty about it until just the last couple of days. Like you, no real strong reason, just a feeling like it was time, especially with a crazy work schedule recently which meant that I was pumping 90% of the supply. But now I'm feeling a little more content - I'm glad that I have more time with her, and not just the close, personal relationship with a Medela pump.

scriptkitten
05-05-2011, 09:34 PM
listen... as a fellow mommy of twins, i get it!

i had nicu preemies as well, and i have to say we never worked out all of our nursing issues, but i persisted.

i lasted 7 months... i'm STILL not over it.

if i ever have another baby it will be so that i can achieve a better breastfeeding rhythm.

i ended up out of the game because i have POF and the hot flashes were killing me. i started taking lo-dose BC just to take the edge off, and despite what my Gyno thought would happen, it dried me up within days.

*hugs*

swissair81
05-05-2011, 09:43 PM
I'll admit that I hate nursing babies with teeth. It hurts so much. Our babies are about the same age, but mine has no teeth yet. I think you should be proud of your accomplishment. Nursing twins must be a lot of work!

DietCokeLover
05-05-2011, 09:56 PM

I do understand your mixed feelings, but you should be very proud that you were able to do that for so long.

:yeahthat:

twowhat?
05-05-2011, 10:07 PM
If you weren't enjoying nursing, then you made the RIGHT DECISION. Congrats for nursing preemie twins for so long! Now, enjoy the next challenge - messy solids and picky toddlers! :)

eta: I can completely see your perspective. Nursing twins TIES YOU UP. You can't do anything while nursing, and with an older child that had to be really tough. You also can't do it discretely so it makes being out and about in public a logistics game (when can I get back to the car to nurse, etc). You gave them a great start in life!

AnnieW625
05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Good for you!

I had horrible pangs of guilt with DD1 and even got teary eyed the last time I fed her at 4 months old. I had supply issues with her (couldn't pump a hill of beans, did better with a manual pump than I did an electric hospital pump:shake:, and I would intentionally feed her formula once a day once she was 4 to 6 weeks so I would have extra to pump and that didn't even work well) so I felt like I had given up.

With DD2 I didn't have many supply issues past the first week, but I ended up deciding to wean her during the day at 3 months old (I was going back to work) and since I had such a better supply with her I thought I would feed her in the AM and PM but once I had stopped all of the in between feedings my supply slowed itself down so she was weaned by 3/1/2 months. I was expecting to get emotional about it but I didn't.

I don't think I could've done twins and I honestly don't think I would even tried nursing with teeth so had I continued I would've made it to 9 months with both girls.

dowlinal
05-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Nursing twins is hard and having older ones makes it almost impossible. I struggled with my first and only nursed for 4 months, but I EBF my second DD for 2 1/2 years. I thought nursing my third would be easy, but then I got the bonus baby. I still thought I would nurse them for atleast two years, but we just barely made it to one. A weaned right at one and N weaned at 14 months. I loved nursing my first two, but with my boys it was always stressful and it made doing anything virtually impossible.

Nursing twins for 8 months is a amazing. You've done something that most twin moms don't even attempt. Be proud of yourself and enjoy your babies.

wendibird22
05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I felt guilty weaning DD1 at 21mos and I'm sure I'll feel the same way when I wean DD2. And I also can relate to just wanting to be done, for no real reason other than knowing you wanted, perhaps needed, to be done. So I can only imagine that those feelings are multiplied when nursing twins. You did an amazing job Stacey!! Be proud of yourself!

And BTW, when did the babies become 8mos old????? Weren't they just born yesterday????

boolady
05-06-2011, 09:58 AM

:yeahthat: You should be really proud of what you've accomplished.

kedss
05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
hugs, sweetie, you are awesome! :)

crayonblue
05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Oh Stacy, you have done a GREAT job! Really, super great!!!!

I know how you feel...I am weaning Hope and it just feels sad, especially since she is our last (at least biologically).

creativelightbulb
05-06-2011, 10:51 AM
:grouphug: You ROCK!!

cucaw30
05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I could not even imagine nursing twins! What you did is amazing!!

StantonHyde
05-06-2011, 12:36 PM
You get huge kudos in my book. I understand being sad. But, wow--you did awesome!

Roni
05-06-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm coming up on 8 months, & it is definitely getting hard. I'm going through mastitis again--I've lost track, but it's been at least 6 times with this baby. I'm hanging in there, but if it would be easy for me to wean her, I would definitely consider it. But it wouldn't be--she still nurses a lot.) I remember feeling sad when I stopped nursing dd2 (at age 3!!!), thinking it would be the last. I'm not sure I'll feel sad this time--it's been rough on me. But, it's normal to feel sad, & it sounds like your babies are doing fine.

lmh2402
05-06-2011, 01:29 PM
:grouphug: i'm sorry you're sad - i definitely understand

but you're a rock-star mama in my book!

s7714
05-06-2011, 02:20 PM
:applause: You did a good job mama! Don't beat yourself up over it. :hug:

firemama
05-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Aww. You are amazing for making it to 8 months with twins! You gave them an incredible start to their life. I couldn't even imagine! I got tears in my eyes reading your post. I totally feel for you! Mommy guilt is so agonizing sometimes! Have a good cry, maybe a couple, and this too shall pass!

calv
05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
kuddos mama. BTDT. Our last child was just weaned and I still cried. Like you the thought of never nursing again or having the BF bond makes cry (just thinking about it). CONGRATS on making it as far as you did. if you really don't want to quit you can always start nursin again. Keep telling yourself you did a FABULOUS job and gave them something nobody else could provide {{{{{}}}}

kochh2
05-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I agree, you have made it farther than many... great job!! BUT, if you did want to nurse again, you would still have plenty. Some babies strike for a few days... so think it over and do what is right in your heart. if you decide to start up again, you'll have to stop again another time. really, just do what is right for your family!!

DrSally
05-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I think it's normal to feel sad for anyone weaning. It will pass. I wouldn't let your sad feelings trigger guilty feelings, KWIM. Congratulations and great job!

cuca_
05-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm sorry you are feeling sad. You did a great job. And I have to say that I LOVE the picture in your signature!!

mctlaw
05-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Wow, you did great! Hugs, mama.

sewarsh
05-06-2011, 09:07 PM

:yeahthat:
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Don't be so hard on yourself...I think you did awesome.

Congrats.