PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a book light for me please!

mom2binsd
05-05-2011, 11:25 PM
I read almost every night before bed and when away from home I usually need to read to wind down and it seems I'm always somewhere without a bedside lamp or in a hotel where a book light would be better with the kids in the room.

I saw one at B&N for about 24.95 that had a small stand but am open to other suggestions.http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Home-gift/USB-Rechargeable-Booklight-Lamp/e/9781615568383/?cds2Pid=25455

Smillow
05-06-2011, 05:28 AM
My favorite book light by far is the lightwedge (http://www.amazon.com/LightWedge-Original-Light-Translucent-Ocean/dp/B0010SXPVM). I am the same way about reading before sleep.

mom2binsd
05-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I had seen these and never really "got" it, but for 4.97 I'll try it!

Thanks!

brittone2
05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Another Lightwedge fan.

I have the one for paperbacks. It scratches pretty easily but doesn't bother me when I'm reading.

http://www.amazon.com/LightWedge-Paperback-Light-Translucent-Smoke/dp/B0010T59WE

robinsmommy
05-06-2011, 07:22 PM
All I can say is do NOT buy the solar powered ones to try to be green. It was a real pain trying to get/keep a charge, fighting with the little gooseneck thing, and one of the girls hastened its demise, I think.....it's falling apart.

The best one I've found is a cheap LED one that DH brought me as a replacement from a conference he went to....not much help there!

One feature I would love is a very quiet off switch - I need less sleep than DH and the clicking noise when I turn it off can wake him.

robinsmommy
05-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Hmm, those wedges do look interesting - but I'm a fast reader - is it a real pain to move it when you turn the pages? Or make a lot of noise? And is the on/off loud and clicky?:reading:

Reading is obviously my drug of choice....

Melaine
05-06-2011, 07:35 PM
That's one of the reasons I love my ipad. I can take tons of books wherever I go and you can adjust the brightness to the perfect setting. No loud page turning either....I did use a booklight before and the one I liked best slipped over the page, but it was still a pain to turn the next page.

robinsmommy
05-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Does sound tempting. I love paper, but I'd love to not have to deal with a book that has been in a smoker's house. Ugh. And I don't want to even think about some of the other issues library books can have....

cheri
05-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I used the lightwedge for a while, but I found moving it from page to page annoying. I'm still looking for a good booklight. I've tried so many and never been really happy. Currently I'm just using a flashlight, but it's so hard to keep it in place.

If anyone finds a great solution, please let me know!

(I have ordered an ipad, so maybe that's the answer)

brittone2
05-06-2011, 09:35 PM
I find my Lightwedge somewhat annoying to move but I like how it illuminates the whole page. The on/off is quiet on mine.

I have some GCs hanging around for B&N and have been debating a Nook or Nook Color though ;)

Smillow
05-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Hmm, those wedges do look interesting - but I'm a fast reader - is it a real pain to move it when you turn the pages? Or make a lot of noise? And is the on/off loud and clicky?:reading:

Reading is obviously my drug of choice....

I think the switch is pretty quiet. I don't think it is too hard to move - I like that the weight of it holds the book open. The light is sooo much better that a little spot light & it is real easy on batteries.