PDA

View Full Version : Ergo back carrying advice

Beth24
05-06-2011, 01:46 AM
My 10 month old is 24 1/2 pounds and the front carry is not really working for me anymore. I want to try the back carry and was wondering if anyone had any good tips for how to make it the most comfortable and how to feel secure getting your baby in and out of the carrier. I tried today and I was so nervous, especially getting him outlook. And he felt so low on my back! TIA!

Also, any advice on hip carrying with the Ergo would be greatly appreciated too.

wendibird22
05-06-2011, 09:49 AM
I have an Ergo and a Beco. For back carry I am most comfortable putting the carrier on at the waist with the fabric off to the side at my hip. I put DD on my hip, pull the carrier up over her back and then put my left arm (I have it on my left hip) through the arm strap. Then I "bounce" the carrier to shift her and it to my back and then put my right arm through that strap. I then bounce her once or twice to make sure she's sitting deep in the pocket of the material and not down into the padded waist strap area. Once I feel she's in there correctly I clip the chest strap. I'm just not talented enough to flip her onto my back and pull the carrier up.

LadyPeter
05-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Thank you OP for posting, and wendibird for answering! I've also got a 24 pounder and an Ergo, and I couldn't figure out how to do a back carry for the life of me.

My friends just dangle their kiddos behind their heads, but I'd dislocate my shoulders. He's the weight of a 2 year old and the helpfulness of a 7 month old. LOL.

BabyBearsMom
05-20-2011, 10:11 AM
I usually fasten the belt on my waist, and then sit down with fabric laying across the seat. I maneuver DD behind me and into position and then hold her steady with one hand while I slip the strap up and over my shoulder. It is super awkward. I usually only wear her if DH is there to help me get her in. I also feel weird doing a back carry alone because I can't see her. I miss the days when she was small enough for a front carry :(

larig
05-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I have an Ergo and a Beco. For back carry I am most comfortable putting the carrier on at the waist with the fabric off to the side at my hip. I put DD on my hip, pull the carrier up over her back and then put my left arm (I have it on my left hip) through the arm strap. Then I "bounce" the carrier to shift her and it to my back and then put my right arm through that strap. I then bounce her once or twice to make sure she's sitting deep in the pocket of the material and not down into the padded waist strap area. Once I feel she's in there correctly I clip the chest strap. I'm just not talented enough to flip her onto my back and pull the carrier up.

:yeahthat: I found a youtube video that demonstrated this. I just looked for it, and the first one I found was NOT the one, but this description is perfect. I always liked to do it near a couch, but got good at doing it next to the car.

arivecchi
05-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Ergo has really helpful videos on their website. Have you checked those out?

lizzywednesday
05-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I booked a consultation with a local babywearing home-business and learned the "hip-scoot" method that lots of PPs are describing. It's essential that you have the hip belt situated on your hips, which meant I needed to use our hip belt extender.

As for feeling low on the back, snug up the straps a bit more to help with that; it's going to feel awkward for a bit, but it should get easier.

And practice-practice-practice to get it right.

Beth24
05-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Ergo has really helpful videos on their website. Have you checked those out?

Yes, but they make it seem so easy and it just isn't for me...I guess I'm not a natural when it comes to carriers!

Beth24
05-20-2011, 07:34 PM
I booked a consultation with a local babywearing home-business and learned the "hip-scoot" method that lots of PPs are describing. It's essential that you have the hip belt situated on your hips, which meant I needed to use our hip belt extender.

As for feeling low on the back, snug up the straps a bit more to help with that; it's going to feel awkward for a bit, but it should get easier.

And practice-practice-practice to get it right.

Thanks for the advice everyone...I am going to try the hip scoot method and I just need to get more comfortable not really seeing him back there! There is a store near me that has baby wearing clinics so maybe I will try one of those too. Wish me luck!

anne-girl
06-09-2011, 12:29 PM
My method is a little unorthodox, but works for us. I put the carrier on as if I'm going to do a front carry, put DS in it, and then grab both straps in one hand close to the body of the carrier, so they go around his neck--not very tightly, but snugly enough that his head can't pop out. Then I scoot him under one arm while holding the straps with the other. Once he's on my back, I switch hands, put the strap on the far side, then the near side. I take him down the same way.

Caveat: my 13mo loves to be worn and doesn't wiggle at all. Also, I have a Manduca, which has a longer body; however, it was an Ergo owner that showed me this carry.

lowrioh
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
I did this when I first started doing a back carry.
I laid out the ergo on the bed and laid DD on the bed so that her butt was near the bottom of the carrier (not the waist strap). I sat on the edge of the bed and leaned back until I was almost on top of her. Then I quickly did the waist and arm straps and sat up.
I only did it in the house to get used to having her back there. After a couple of times I got more comfortable and did the hip scoot method.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0aPV6XSlkY