PDA

View Full Version : JUST FOR FUN: Share your comical "pumping" stories...

creativelightbulb
05-06-2011, 02:21 PM
I thought it would be fun to hear other people's comical "pumping" stories...

I work in a construction trailer so I go to my car during the day to pump 2-3x. Last week I decided to run an errand at lunch. After I'd pulled out of the parking lot I realized I'd have time to finish a pumping session on my way to the store so I swung into the nearest lot, parked in the first open spot, pulled out the "hands free bustier" and got my pump set up.

It wasn't until I looked up to pull out of the parking space that I bothered to look at the cars next to the spot I'd pulled into...low and behold there was an older gentleman sitting in the car next to me looking RIGHT into my car with a wide eyed puzzled look on his face...

I just burst out laughing and waved as I left the parking space...:yay:

lizzywednesday
05-06-2011, 02:25 PM
I pumped in the front seat of a passenger van during the Avon 2-Day this past October.

On one run that fell during a pump-session, one of our pickups offered to "help" ... I laughed.

FWIW, that hands-free bustier is the best thing EVER. Without it and the car adaptor, I'd never have been able to consider a lot of things because the logistics of pumping were too difficult otherwise.

creativelightbulb
05-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I pumped in the front seat of a passenger van during the Avon 2-Day this past October.

On one run that fell during a pump-session, one of our pickups offered to "help" ... I laughed.

FWIW, that hands-free bustier is the best thing EVER. Without it and the car adaptor, I'd never have been able to consider a lot of things because the logistics of pumping were too difficult otherwise.

AMEN to THAT!!

I discovered the lifesaving combo of the adapter and bustier when DD was kept at the hospital for a week after I was discharged...while I was a nervous wreak of a new mother at that time...I'm SO glad I was forced to become "pumping mobile" early on because I've managed to maintain a work, social and family life

klwa
05-06-2011, 02:34 PM
At my office, the pumping area was (recently got reconfigured, so I'm not sure where it is now) in the shower stall in 1 bathroom. So, we had a shower curtain seperating the pumper from the rest of the world. One day, a coworker saw me exiting the pumping area & asked if I'd mind hooking back up so she could "see how it works!" Uhm..... :rolleyes:

Another day, a lady heard the pump & started to walk in on me because she wasn't sure what that noise was & thought someone needed help. :shrug:

BabbyO
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I've pumped while travelling in a mini-van with co-workers who weren't quite as sensitive to the timing for pumping. They had NO idea I'd pumped while sitting in the back seat.

I also pumped at work daily for 9 mo. I had a super nice set up where there was a private bathroom connected to an office. I'd pump in the office, then rinse parts, etc in the private bathroom since I was basically the only person who used the bathroom. The bathroom is also connected to a small conference room on the other side.

One week we had some Swedes in our office (Company HQ is in Sweden) and they were working out of the conference room. Everytime I'd go in to pump, the doors between the bathroom and conference room and office were all open. I know the conference room gets warm and so people tend to open the doors to keep it cooler. I'd gone in and asked the Swedes working in the conference room, to keep the doors closed because I used the office. They politely smiled and nodded, but I was fairly certain that they didn't quite understand. Well, one day they came back after lunch and saw the doors closed and just swung the doors WIDE open, while I was pumping. One guy turned bright red, and the other was stumbling bumbling over himself to get out.

I actually felt badly for them. They just couldn't comprehend what I was doing when I explained that I was expressing. In Sweden mothers get 1 yr maternity leave...so pumping in the office is rarely, if ever encountered.

creativelightbulb
05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
we have made a habit of announcing where we are going when we exit the office...

(i.e. heading to the main building for a meeting...going to lunch - be back in five, etc.)

when I leave to pump now I simply say " MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" as I walk out the door...:rotflmao:

athompson
05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
.................................................. ..........

truly scrumptious
05-06-2011, 03:34 PM
My boss hates locked doors in the office. If he has to knock to enter he'll unlock the auto lock on the door after coming in so it stays unlocked. When I was pumping at work after DS was born every time he'd come into my office he'd unlock the door and I'd set the automatic lock again as soon as he left. He just wouldn't get the hint.

Until the time he walked in on me pumping.

He got a glorified look on his face and backed out. Since then he's never unlocked my door and never walked in without knocking.

HallsofVA
05-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I travelled a lot for work when my DD was young. I had to fly to Milan to give a presentation, and did many cross country DC - SFO flights and had some comical experiences bringing the pump and milk through security in the different airports. The best one was when I had to switch terminals in Frankfurt and go back through Security. The security agent held up the line while my pump and the bag of the guy in front of me were both in the xray machine, so we weren't sure who he was talking to when he asked what was in the bag. So the guy in front of me started explaining what he had.

Apparently that didn't fly, so the security guy took the bag out of the machine, and asked whose it was, and I recognized it as mine. Then he asked if it was a breathing maching, and made a jesture like putting a mask on (assume he was talking about a cpap machine). I said "no, it's a breast pump", and used my hands to make pumping jestures in the appropriate place. They guy turned very red when he realized what type of machine it was after my very clear picture!

I was also not a popular passenger in those days since on the longer flight across oceans or across the country, I would pump quickly in the airplane bathroom and tie it up for 10-15 minutes or so.

goldenpig
05-06-2011, 08:44 PM
DH and I used to dive a lot pre-kids. Post-kids we haven't gone as often--it's much more complicated and involves either bringing grandma on vacation with us to watch the kids or hiring a babysitter. But we have done it several times, and because I was still nursing DD, I would have to pump during the surface intervals between the two dives otherwise I would get too engorged.

Once when DD was 5 months we were in Mexico diving the cenotes (caverns) and the Mexican dive guides were pretty curious about my pumping at a picnic table in between dives. They were asking my husband, "What is she doing?"

Then once we went to Hawaii and we were going to be diving from a boat. The problem was, I forgot my battery pack and the boat didn't have electric plugs. So we called up the captain and asked if there was a plug for a car adapter (which I had), and he said he could get a portable car battery that I could plug into. So I'm sitting there on the dive boat hooked up to a car battery, pumping away in my swimsuit/wetsuit with a Hooter Hider on. I asked DH to take a picture of me. Love it. I can be a nursing mom and still go on diving adventures! Even funnier, that same trip we had planned another dive with a different company, so we called them to ask if they had a portable car battery and the guy says, "Why, do you have a breast pump?" Turns out it was the same captain from the first boat! He worked for both dive operators.

I've done the dive and pump thing several times now including for DS. DH and I like to joke that the milk is "fizzy" because of the nitrogen load from diving.

megs4413
05-06-2011, 08:48 PM
when DS was a newborn, he was hospitalized with RSV. I was pumping exclusively for him. Morning rounds at a teaching hospital. Enough said.

elephantmeg
05-06-2011, 08:56 PM
I am a nurse and was pumping in the breakroom (on the unit) and the dietitian came in and talked to me about a pt while.I.was.pumping. I was like, uh........ could we discuss then in 10 min when my boob is done?

mctlaw
05-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I pumped in my private office with a "Do not disturb" sign on the door. My continuously clueless boss happened to be showing a company bigwig around and they must have walked by my door. When I later encountered the boss still with big company guy, my boss said "What kind of important meeting were you in?" but in a sarcastic tone. I looked at cheerfully at my boss with bigwig company guy and said loudly, "I was in a really important meeting with my breastpump."

The look = priceless.

AshleyAnn
05-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I didn't pump after I left the hospital but the first time DH saw was hilarious. I guess we really never discussed pumping before DD arrived. He decided to use the bathroom while we waiting for the LC to bring up a pump. She came in and was ready to to set me up so we got started before he came out. The pump was going full force when he walked out of the bathroom and his face was PRICELESS.

StantonHyde
05-07-2011, 12:14 AM
DH and I used to dive a lot pre-kids. Post-kids we haven't gone as often--it's much more complicated and involves either bringing grandma on vacation with us to watch the kids or hiring a babysitter. But we have done it several times, and because I was still nursing DD, I would have to pump during the surface intervals between the two dives otherwise I would get too engorged.

Once when DD was 5 months we were in Mexico diving the cenotes (caverns) and the Mexican dive guides were pretty curious about my pumping at a picnic table in between dives. They were asking my husband, "What is she doing?"

Then once we went to Hawaii and we were going to be diving from a boat. The problem was, I forgot my battery pack and the boat didn't have electric plugs. So we called up the captain and asked if there was a plug for a car adapter (which I had), and he said he could get a portable car battery that I could plug into. So I'm sitting there on the dive boat hooked up to a car battery, pumping away in my swimsuit/wetsuit with a Hooter Hider on. I asked DH to take a picture of me. Love it. I can be a nursing mom and still go on diving adventures! Even funnier, that same trip we had planned another dive with a different company, so we called them to ask if they had a portable car battery and the guy says, "Why, do you have a breast pump?" Turns out it was the same captain from the first boat! He worked for both dive operators.

I've done the dive and pump thing several times now including for DS. DH and I like to joke that the milk is "fizzy" because of the nitrogen load from diving.

I think you get some sort of award for this.....:applause:

ahisma
05-07-2011, 02:02 AM
My first year of law school, my pumping room was an auxiliary office for the Dean, who was on sabbatical. All good, except they gave me the key to the wrong office, and that office was occupied.

I had no idea, and was sitting there pumping - with my dress around my waist because I had to wear a suit that day and couldn't squeeze into my pre-pregnancy ones so I was wearing a dress with a suit coat.

So, there I am, dress around my waist, pumping, reading for my next class...and the prof whose office it *actually* was came in. Not only was he freaked out that I was in his office, but I was topless and hooked up to a pump. Yikes!

Needless to say, it was a very awkward moment.