PDA

View Full Version : Pertussis UGH

twowhat?
05-06-2011, 11:42 PM
The girls' daycare had a sign on the door saying a child in their classroom has whooping cough. I asked the teacher if it was a confirmed case, she said yes. The girls are vaccinated, but since the vaccine isn't a guarantee, this completely ruins our weekend plans because we were to visit our friends who have a preemie infant, and our mother's day plans on sunday because my mom is still undergoing chemo.

Wouldn't the state health dept be involved if this were an actual confirmed case???

StantonHyde
05-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Yes, some health department should be involved. But the reporting can be odd, etc. You could call the health department but too late now. Look up the info at CDC or call your MD. Not sure how much of a risk if you are vaxed.

JBaxter
05-07-2011, 11:35 AM
The girls' daycare had a sign on the door saying a child in their classroom has whooping cough. I asked the teacher if it was a confirmed case, she said yes. The girls are vaccinated, but since the vaccine isn't a guarantee, this completely ruins our weekend plans because we were to visit our friends who have a preemie infant, and our mother's day plans on sunday because my mom is still undergoing chemo.

Wouldn't the state health dept be involved if this were an actual confirmed case???

They may be notified but there really isnt much they can do. Pertussis in kids is bad but may or may not require hospitalization. Some parts of CA where there were outbreaks had 70% of the confirmed cases up to date on immunizations.

twowhat?
05-07-2011, 04:02 PM
They may be notified but there really isnt much they can do. Pertussis in kids is bad but may or may not require hospitalization. Some parts of CA where there were outbreaks had 70% of the confirmed cases up to date on immunizations.

Yeah, I agree with this. After the initial (major) disappointment of not being able to see my friends (one of whom I probably won't see again for a long time) and my mom on mother's day weekend, I thought about it and yes - there is nothing they can really do. They're certainly not going to give the entire class prophylactic antibiotics - they can really only give out information for the parents. The parents who have kids in this class, as well as infants in the infant classroom, have the info they need to know that they should call their pediatrician for recommendations about prophylactic antibiotics.

Ugh, this was the worst timing ever.

s7714
05-07-2011, 06:52 PM

There were two confirmed cases in my DD's class back in November I think it was. A letter went out saying there were confirmed cases at the school, but the only reason I knew they were in my DD's class is from chatting regularly with the office staff. The district head nurse along with the health dept. did make several automated phone calls and send out a letter regarding district wide precautions, but nothing was done regarding specific classrooms that were effected.