PDA

View Full Version : Does temp+runny nose+constipation+crankiness=

YouAreTheFocus
05-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Teething?

My 19 mos old has the above symptoms (temp is 100, clear runny nose, only pooped once in 2-3 days). Oh, and the poop was a bit "off". A friend suggested teething, but I don't recall these symptoms the other times around. He has 12 teeth so far. Last ones came in 4 mos ago.

Any other likely possibilities?

cntrymoon2
05-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Let me know when you find out b/c my 18, almost 19 mo old is having the exact same symptoms! I think for her the constipation is due to a decreased food/liquid intake for the last 24 hours. But super cranky, low grade fever, very slight runny nose.
She also has all four back molars. She doesn't have her eye teeth yet, and my friend told me today that those are usually the worst and she might be more symptomatic for them than previous teeth.

daisymommy
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I think it's very possible the constipation is an unrelated symptom, and the other things are teething. At least that's how my babies/toddlers act and feel when they're teething! Mine get loose stools, that are acidic, and then get a diaper rash when they teeth.

YouAreTheFocus
05-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Let me know when you find out b/c my 18, almost 19 mo old is having the exact same symptoms! I think for her the constipation is due to a decreased food/liquid intake for the last 24 hours. But super cranky, low grade fever, very slight runny nose.
She also has all four back molars. She doesn't have her eye teeth yet, and my friend told me today that those are usually the worst and she might be more symptomatic for them than previous teeth.

Funny that you said this, we brought him to the Dr on Saturday morning and she thought the eye teeth are the likely culprit. We barely noticed when his previous teeth came in, but this experience has been totally different--really threw him off. I thought he had to be coming down w/ something with the shape he was in. But by Saturday late afternoon he already seemed to be improving, and he was his usual charming self when it came time for our Mother's Day brunch outing (thank goodness!!).

We gave him prune baby food, encouraged more water, and added some flax to his other foods, this seemed to help get him back on track :)

rachelh
05-09-2011, 03:24 PM
We just went thru this with DD who is almost 14 months. Everyone convinced me it was the teething. Finally I had enough of the sleepless nights and brought her to the doc - turned out it was a horrible ear infection. I felt terrible.

eta: What are eye teeth? DD also had some teeth breaking thru at the time so it could have been partly due to that as well but is on antibiotics now for the ear. DD also had major decrease in fluid and food intake. You might want to bring him in just to double check the ears.