PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the missing Canada Couple?

LD92599
05-07-2011, 08:19 AM
The wife has been found - ALIVE!

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Missing-B-C-woman-found-alive-in-Nevada-forest-1369944.php

Melaine
05-07-2011, 08:22 AM
That's amazing!

DietCokeLover
05-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Oh my goodness! That truly is incredible!

bubbaray
05-07-2011, 09:46 AM
I just read that! I hope they find the husband too!

Smillow
05-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I was just wondering about them yesterday b/c someone posted a missing poster on FB for a teenager.... Thanks for the update!

ThreeofUs
05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
WOW. Thank goodness they found her! Hope they find the husband, too.

wellyes
05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
WOW. I was just looking for an update the other day, but never in a million years would have expected this!

daniele_ut
05-07-2011, 03:55 PM
The daughter in law of this couple is a regular poster over on Car Seat.org so I've been following this story over there, but I hadn't heard that they had found her MIL. AMAZING!

zag95
05-07-2011, 06:04 PM
It's in The Oregonian on the front page today. I remember the couple went missing around the time my parents were over visiting relatives in Eastern OR. With all the wet weather and snow levels, it was not surprising that they were stranded. I hope the wife continues to make a great recovery and that her husband can also be located.

bubbaray
05-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Discussed this with DH today (he's a former Search and Rescue guy). ALWAYS stay with the vehicle. Always. I snorted and said, yeah, like *he* would have stayed with the vehicle for 7 weeks (trapped with me).

Remember the mom, dad and 2 daughters strapped on a logging road a couple of years back (OR or CA??). The dad left the car, the mom stayed behind with the baby and then nursed the older child to give her food. It was weeks, they were trapped in the snow. The dad's body was found not far from the car, he had walked (probably disoriented) in circles around the car and never got more than a 1/2 mile from the car (but couldn't find his way back to the car).

Anyway, I hope they find the husband, but DH says after 7 weeks it is highly unlikely. Then again, they found the wife, so who knows.

arivecchi
05-07-2011, 08:12 PM
So incredible! Melissa, that story is horrifying. :(

zag95
05-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Discussed this with DH today (he's a former Search and Rescue guy). ALWAYS stay with the vehicle. Always. I snorted and said, yeah, like *he* would have stayed with the vehicle for 7 weeks (trapped with me).

Remember the mom, dad and 2 daughters strapped on a logging road a couple of years back (OR or CA??). The dad left the car, the mom stayed behind with the baby and then nursed the older child to give her food. It was weeks, they were trapped in the snow. The dad's body was found not far from the car, he had walked (probably disoriented) in circles around the car and never got more than a 1/2 mile from the car (but couldn't find his way back to the car).

Hey Melissa-
Yes I remember that family- they were in Oregon- on their way over to the coast late at night. They were the Kim family I believe- and yes, they found him very close to the car- as I recall- they had found his clothing shed along the path to his body (they thought it was from hypothermia). That was a very sad situation- and this reminds me of that moment.

Melaine
05-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I will never forget that story, it was so upsetting and yet a great BF triumph. I can't imagine going through something like that.

american_mama
05-08-2011, 03:21 AM
It doesn't matter much, but the family that was lost in the wood was Kati and James Kim, and they were actually only lost for a week and the father actually walked about 15 miles away from the car before he died. I thought it was one of the saddest news stories I'd ever read, and I remember it well to do this day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kim
I keep PowerBars as emergency rations in my car year-round specifically because of that story.

Some things that stuck with me from it: 1) local search and rescue people were not very coordinated in the Kim case, and numerous people mentioned that particular road early in the search as a likely place the family were lost, since others had been stranded on that road and one lost person had died. But miscommunication (and some hubris) meant that no one thoroughly checked the whole road until it was too late for the dad. 2) As bubbaray said, stay with your car if you get lost. 3) The family was tracked in part using their cell phone because even though it had no reception, there was still some record of where the attempted call originated from. So don't give up on your cell phone completely even if it doesn't seem to work. 4) Reports of that case at the time said the family had relied on yahoo maps or the like, which had misled them, making me very dubious of online maps for rural or mountainous terrain. But I just googled this story, and it said they used a regular state map, so I guess the faulty yahoo map was a myth.
http://news.cnet.com/Kati-Kim-describes-harrowing-week-lost-in-woods---page-2/2100-1028_3-6151398-2.html?tag=mncol

Even longer ago in the 1990's, there was a young couple and there baby who were lost in the snow in a Nevada wilderness area for several days, http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20041217/life/112170011. They all survived, baby unscathed, although the parents had parts of their feet amputated due to frostbite. I'm an east coast girl and not too outdoorsy, and it's hard for me to imagine that in this day and age and in this modern country, people can be that hard to find. Seven weeks lost is very hard for me to imagine.