PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to rid my house of toys while making a bit of $

Kymberley
05-07-2011, 08:27 AM
We have too much STUFF from DS's younger days. It needs to go. A jumperoo, a walker (not bought by me), door bouncers (again, not me) random FP activity centers, even a couple of strollers that are practically brand new. I guess I could technically do yard sales, but I've never done one and the thought skeeves me out for some reason. Craigslist is flooded with baby stuff at really low prices. Ebay is also flooded. I need the money so that I can get DS a new carseat. I was wondering about Once Upon a Child, but I have no idea what percentage they offer on things like this. What do you think is the best way to clear out the baby stuff?

Melaine
05-07-2011, 08:29 AM
I hate OUAC, and have had great luck with CL. Try listing things in large lots. If your area is saturated, then CL may not be as good but it's worth a try.

liz
05-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Craigslist for the bigger items. Also, I have had good luck selling them to co-workers (they were new g-mas who needed to supplement their house for their grandkids). I have done pretty well.

We are having a yard sale in a few weeks to try and get rid of the rest (whatever doesn't sell will be donated/given away).

I agree, you will get less $$ if you go to a consignment store.

pinkmomagain
05-07-2011, 08:37 AM
I've had a ton of luck with CL. I wasn't looking to make big bucks, so I priced reasonably and got rid of so much stuff. I would also group smaller toys together into lots and found that to be successful too. Post good pictures and write a great/accurate description.

ray7694
05-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I would do a garage sale. I just had one and made $250 in an hour and a half. I just wanted to clear out stuff. I only had it one night after work. I don't like dealing with Craiglist people. You have to setup the meetings and half the time they don't show or are late.

wellyes
05-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Garage sale but advertise (including listing all specific big ticket items) on Craigslist a week in advance.

infomama
05-07-2011, 09:48 AM
If allowed post a list at your/DH's workplace or your church/local coffee shop/hardware store. I have sold a bunch of things that way. People are always up for a deal.

schrocat
05-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Craigslist. I just sold a 2 year old cradle swing for $15 less than what I paid for it brand new. It was priced reasonably though.

DrSally
05-07-2011, 10:23 AM
CL.........

twowhat?
05-07-2011, 10:39 AM
We've had pretty good luck on CL for large items, and even appropriately chosen lots (like a lot of 6 month fleece sleepers). I plan on putting all our developmentally outgrown wooden toys and puzzles in a lot and trying to sell them that way.

But as for all the random plastic toys - we give away the nice toys to our friends who are having babies (or have younger babies). The rest just go to goodwill. We're not at the point where I can handle a garage sale and DH HATES garage sales otherwise I'd do that!

brittone2
05-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I CL the stuff worth my time to list, and donate a good bit of the rest (or in some cases pass on stuff to a friend with a DD younger than my own).

I have had good luck listing on CL.

Many of the consignment places like OUAC will take a big chunk of any money you'd make anyway.

Mom to mom sales are another option if you are willing to go that route. Some places provide an option to donate what doesn't sell (so you don't have to pick up afterward) and some allow you to tag items that you do NOT want to go to donation after the sale (providing an option for you to pick it up and decide from there what to do with it).

We have yardsales here once every few years but people usually want an amazing bargain and it isn't really worth the time/effort in many cases for me to sell clothing for $1 or less per item. I am sure that's a somewhat regional thing, but IME people often shy away from paying $5 or more per outfit or clothing item (even if a brand name) at yardsales.

eta: for clothing, the only stuff I bother selling on CL is Hanna, some Gymbo or other bigger brand names (in lots) depending on circumstances. The HA stuff has always sold well for me on CL. Cloth dipes/covers have sold well for me a few times in the past (in lots).