PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Schools? ISO greater challenge in elementary school

Mamma2004
05-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Public school has been a struggle for us and I have made some progress with our Superintendent. She has given me the task of researching virtual schools as one option for the upcoming academic year. We have no G&T program in town and while DS may or may not be Gifted, he is way ahead of the curve in needs far greater stimulation than simple math and ELA.

Do any of you have experience with virtual schools, whether as a homeschooling tool or otherwise? I do not favor the use of technology IN PLACE OF the important rapport between teacher and pupil. However, I do recognize that if we are to continue with public school, we will need to compromise and, in a sense, take what we can get (at least for now).

ETA: This virtual school would NOT be for just DS, of course. She is looking to implement it as one means of differentiating withing the classroom. It should help ALL students to work at their appropriate levels.

I would appreciate any input. Thank you!

egoldber
05-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Virtual schools tend to be total curriculum replacements.

Two places that I know of that are sometimes used for students within the classroom are CTY and EPGY distance classes.

http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/index.html

http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/index.html

Mamma2004
05-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Virtual schools tend to be total curriculum replacements.

Beth, that is why I am struggling to find adequate information for my superintendent. She is looking to *supplement* the curriculum. For example, while the teacher covers the lesson with 19 students, a child who has already mastered that part of the currriculum would work at a more advanced level, using the virtual school. A fourth grader could work on sixth-grade math, just as a second grader could work on fifth-grade reading comprehension.

Thank you for the links. The first one is one that I had researched before; I was hoping to find more options.

The lower grades have very little exposure to science and social studies because our teachers and administrators are very concerned about math and ELA (for the standardized tests). I would really like to see more of these subjects incorporated into the curriculum. Perhaps a virtual school will offer that opportunity.

Thanks again!

Melbel
05-08-2011, 09:57 AM
DS and DD1's PK - 6th grade private school is considering adding 7th and 8th grades in a semi-virtual environment. Classes would be taught via computer at school with a teacher coach to guide them through their lessons. Mid - day, there would also be group projects. At a parent meeting, they stated that courses were available from numerous vendors and compared it to buying text books. In addition to allowing DC to work at their own pace, it allows the schools to offer a greater range of curriculum. For example, they described offering 4 languages, pairing the DC with native speakers (including children who are trying to learn English). From what they described, it seems as though you should be able to find what you are looking for.

waitingforgrace
05-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Have you looked into K12 already? I'm pretty sure they offer a la carte courses and can work with school districts to meet their needs for specialized curriculum.

http://www.k12.com/what-is-k12/partnership-with-schools

zag95
05-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Here might be some possible supplements-

Look at Rosetta Stone software- it would be a fun option for kids to learn languages

I would check with your state and see if they have any curriculum set up at the state level that your district could tap into..... some ESDs (Educational service districts) if you have those in your state, may also have some resources.

I used to work for charter schools that were virtual, all of our curriculum was thru Odysseyware, which was a former Christian-based curriculum, that has been secularized for use at public schools. Calvert is another "brand" of curriculum that we used- it was primarily for kids to use at home, but they may have something that is available online.

Good luck!

marie
05-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I heard the coordinator for this program do a radio interview last week:
http://www.vtvlc.org/

They might be at least a resource for advice. Since VT is such a rural state, a lot of schools struggle to offer the courses that kids want/need (AP, etc.). This cooperative is trying to fill the gap and it looks like it will start offering primary level classes in the fall (right now it is mostly HS).

ooh - just saw that they do allow non-VT schools to partner with them here (under "Example 3:Non-Partnering, Non-Vermont Schools")
http://www.vtvlc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=64

HTH! good luck!

Cuckoomamma
05-09-2011, 02:35 PM
I know nothing about it, but have heard that people have used ALEKS. Again, not a recommendation as I have no personal experience.

Mamma2004
05-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for your responses thus far! In addition to more typical "virtual schools", we are also considering Renzulli - any BTDT experience? The benefit seems to be that with Renzulli, despite the initial $$$, students are not penalized for progressing swiftly through the curriculum. In other words, they are free to go to the next level when they are ready. In other options, students pay per course and therefore that "next level" often costs upward of $500. Yikes.

Our district does use ALEKS, though not for the early elementary grades.

I am still researching and welcome further input. Thanks very much!

Melbel
08-11-2011, 09:50 AM
I was bumping this thread to see if the OP has any updates/further information. As mentioned upthread, our current PK-6th grade school has been researching the possibility of offering grades 7-8 in a quasi- virtual environment. I am definitely interested in learning more!