PDA

View Full Version : How quickly can DD get Strep again?

HIU8
05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
DD was diagnosed with strep on April 17th. That was the beginning of her spring break. I'm sure she had it earlier that week and we did not know it, so she obviously exposed her class. Fast forward to this past week--3 children in her preschool class have now been diagnosed. How soon after having strep can DD catch it again? FWIW she was on augmentin for strep and her ear infection. Plus, the only way we found out she had strep was b/c she broke out with a blister like rash on her arms, torso and legs (no fever and no complaint of a sore throat) on Friday night and tested positive on Saturday morning. I have no experience with multiple bouts of strep close together--if it can even happen that way.

amatahrain
05-08-2011, 12:03 AM
DH, DD, and I had it reoccur about 4 weeks after finishing the original course of antibiotics. We were prescribed antibiotics again and at the end of that course had to return to the doctor and get another 10 day dose! I don't know why but strep plagued us for the last 2 months or so! My sister and her two kids had it reoccur about 6 weeks later and had to be treated again.

The doctor told us to replace our toothbrushes after 48 hours on the antibiotics. I never would have thought to do that.

KpbS
05-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Interesting--my DS1 had strep present the same way this winter. His brother had the more typical super sore throat, fever, malaise, etc. They both took amoxicillin for 10 d. and we threw out the toothbrushes and toothpastes but they had it again after the antibiotics ended. That is, the strep was resistant to the amox. so we had to take another 10 d. of ceftin. Then it was gone. So I'd say she can have it pretty soon after being exposed to it again, unfortunately.

MrsZaz
05-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Not what you want to hear but DS1 finished his antibiotics on a Saturday and tested positive again on a Tuesday. Not a fun April here.

HTH
Colleen

HIU8
05-08-2011, 10:03 PM
DD had a recheck last monday and did not test positive. However, since then, 3 kids and now her main teacher have strep. I changed out her toothbrush head already and I put the cup she uses through the dishwasher. Now we just wait and see if she gets it again. It was the first time she ever had strep. I have no idea how we went nearly 4 years without strep. DS has had it 2x and DD never got it. This time DS has not gotten it from DD.

Here's to hoping she doesn't get it again so soon.