PDA

View Full Version : Jr sizes-- when is too old, or too big?

lalasmama
05-08-2011, 01:00 AM
The quick version: When is a woman too old to wear jr sizes? Or is there a point where one just *shouldn't* wear them anymore because of their shape?

The longer version: My mom didn't switch from jrs to misses until she was nearly 55. She was short, had no hips, and fit in the sizes well. However, I'm different! I've got a more hourglass figure, and in the past 6 or so years, I have gone from a cute little 135# 20-something to a larger, 180# 30-something. I've gone from single and free wheeling to a mom of 1, step-mom-type to 2 more, and now, OMG, my step-daughter-type has a baby. I now see my clients out in public, and am starting a more "grown up" job... so I feel like my life is at a very different place! I have definitely fallen into the "comfortable clothing" versus dressing to look nice. I think I totally skipped over that casual-cute-without-trying point, and moved straight to yoga-pants-and-old-Disney-sweatshirt-with-crocs.

And now I want to appear like an attractive 30-something... but not sure what to wear! OMG, this sounds so lame :) Its clothes! I'm definately drawn to the casual cute of some of the juniors clothes. But is there a point when one is "too old" for shopping in jrs? Also, size-wise, I'm somewhere between a 14 and 16. I bought jeans recently, and the 14s were too tight, the 16s were rather loose. I didn't try on anything in the jr jeans though, because I wasn't sure if there was a point where maybe I shouldn't be shopping in jrs?

pharmjenn
05-08-2011, 01:44 AM
I say, if junior sizes still fit- go for it. I see lots in that area that I would love to wear, but haven't fit in juniors since I was in high school- too much hip and thigh. So give them a try, I definitely think they are slimmer through the hips, so if a 14 was tight, you may not fit in juniors anymore

jvs195
05-08-2011, 08:31 AM
I think it's a personal preference and you should focus on the fit and style of the item rather than the department first. I stopped looking in juniors in my late 20's when I wanted better quality clothes for work. I think they are fine for casual if you find things that fit (you should try some on) I found especially in the larger sizes they just weren't flattering for me and I felt cheap.

WolfpackMom
05-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I don't fit on women's pants. When I went shopping for work suits I had to buy them from juniors. Not all junior sized clothing is young/hip looking you can find "normal" clothes pretty easily.

crl
05-08-2011, 08:37 AM
I think it is mostly an issue of fit. I have big hips and thighs relative to the rest of me so juniors bottoms haven't fit me since high school.

Catherine

LadyPeter
05-08-2011, 08:38 AM
It irks me when I hear a grown woman describe her size in an odd number. I feel like shouting "You are NOT a 9, you are a 10!"

Having worked in retail, I know junior fashion changes swiftly, which is why the clothes are so inexpensive. (They're expected to look good about one season, and then be disposable.) They are also made for straight up-and-down figures.

My feeling is that, regardless of your age and size, there are clothes out there that are made of nicer fabrics, and will look good longer.

ilfaith
05-08-2011, 09:03 AM
I think there is more blurring of the lines between "junior" and "missy" styles today than there was back when I was in high school (way back in the 80s). For example, many stores which carry what I consider to be "junior" styles (like American Eagle and Abercrombie & Fitch) sell their clothes in "missy" (or even numbered) sizes...even though they might be cut more like "junior" (less curvy, odd numbered) sizes than say an Ann Taylor or Talbots. I think I now only come across odd numbered sizes in some department stores "juniors" departments.

As for whether you are too old to wear junior sizes, I say if they fit well, go for it...but use discretion. I am petite and not terribly curvy and junior sizes generally fit me. But I am also going on 42, so I know that certain styles will look silly (Rompers! Really?)...at best I will look like a teenager, at worst I'll look like a middle aged woman trying to look like a teenager. (Last week I was browsing in Forever 21 and realized I was the oldest person shopping there without an adolescent daughter...of course it seems like forever since I was 21.) But, if they fit (and junior sizes may not be the best fit if you are a curvy hourglass), you can certainly shop the junior department for basics like jeans and tees, or for trendy items you don't want to spend a fortune on (but remember a lot of junior items are "throwaway fashion", so while they may be less expensive, often they are cheaply made. I wouldn't shop the juniors department for business attire (although I did when I was fresh out of college)...but you can find age-appropriate items if you look.

If you are looking for "casual cute" I'd suggest stores like Gap, Loft, Banana, Old Navy, some of the lines at Kohls. Of course it all depends on your budget (if you're feeling flush and go for that "wealthy bohemian" look, add Anthropologie to the mix). Think "classic with a twist" a basic pair of jeans (in whatever cut is flattering) spruced up with a (very of the moment) ruffled or embellished tee...
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=5040
...for example.

SnuggleBuggles
05-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't buy them bc I have curves that I didn't have when I was a teen. Also I typically find the quality to be less on Jr styles. I am sure there are better quality ones out there but in general the womens stuff is nicer

Beth

lizzywednesday
05-09-2011, 01:26 PM
I find it very difficult to think you'd look professional in clothes you'd purchased in the Juniors department.

The clothing has a different cut from Misses (or even Petites) and, as a PP said, leans toward trendy, rather than classic.

Shop the Misses department and find brands that are cut in a way better for your frame. I find that suits and pieces by the brand Kaspar, for example, are cut narrow, so I can't buy them (I have full hips, heavy thighs and chunky arms) but I can buy things by Jones NY or Alfani (though Alfani is hit-and-miss sometimes.)

For anything that's just a hair off fit, find a great tailor and bring them lots of business.

AnnieW625
05-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I think it is mostly an issue of fit. I have big hips and thighs relative to the rest of me so juniors bottoms haven't fit me since high school.

Catherine

:yeahthat: plus the crotch was always too short in jrs. size clothes for me. I did however used to shop in the Brass Plum department at Nordstroms until I had DD1 for tops (tees, and sweaters), but then my ribcage decided it wasn't going to snap back into form post partum so no more medium to large jrs. sized sweaters, or kids size 16 tee shirts.

g-mama
05-09-2011, 02:57 PM
I find it very difficult to think you'd look professional in clothes you'd purchased in the Juniors department.

...or sophisticated, for that matter. For me, it's less about being too big than it is about being too old. I see some grown women wearing juniors style clothing who may *fit* into it size-wise b/c they are petite, but they look like they're trying to be a teenybopper rather than a grown woman, dressing their age.

Do not get me wrong - I am not saying dress like a granny either. Not at all. But I think that women who are beyond their, oh, I'd say mid-20s, should stop dressing in juniors styles or risk looking like they're stuck in time and can't stand the thought of growing up.

WolfpackMom
05-09-2011, 03:46 PM
This thread makes me feel like crap. Until not long ago Gap, ON, BR carried the odd sizes referred to as junior sizes.

Me and my boyish figure dont look all that great in fancy women's clothing. But in no way do I look unprofessional or like Im trying to be young and trendy in my odd sized Banana and Anne Taylor skirts or Gap slacks.

Now that I am about to turn 28 I guess I need to go throw out those old suits I bought when I entered the workforce and couldnt afford fancy clothes and tailors (wait, I still cant afford those) or else I will look like I am "unprofessional," "unsophisticated" and like I "dont want to grow up."

ouchie.

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2011, 03:48 PM
This thread makes me feel like crap. Until not long ago Gap, ON, BR carried the odd sizes referred to as junior sizes.

Me and my boyish figure dont look all that great in fancy women's clothing. But in no way do I look unprofessional or like Im trying to be young and trendy in my odd sized Banana and Anne Taylor skirts or Gap slacks.

Now that I am about to turn 28 I guess I need to go throw out those old suits I bought when I entered the workforce and couldnt afford fancy clothes and tailors (wait, I still cant afford those) or else I will look like I am "unprofessional," "unsophisticated" and like I "dont want to grow up."

ouchie.

Your example doesn't sound the same. think of the OP as describing people who shop in Macy's jr. section. Take a look there. That's where my brain is and I do think that the time and place for that stuff is when one is a junior (under 20).

Beth

essnce629
05-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I think it depends. I'm 29 and have always been pretty thin with no hips and small boobs, so the junior sizes fit me fine. I was always a size 3 or 5, and lots of times you can't find non-junior sizes under size 6. Non-junior pants seem to be too high waisted at times, but lately I've gotten a lot of LE Canvas stuff that fits great (better than the regular LE stuff) and is younger looking as well. And I think their stuff is in the non-junior sizes. I definately have to go by their size charts though (and the reviews) since their sizing can be kind of weird sometimes.

g-mama
05-09-2011, 04:03 PM

ouchie.

If you are wearing clothes from Ann Taylor or BR, then they are not the juniors clothing people are talking about here. If you think people are saying the clothing that comes from those stores is not fancy enough to look sophisticated, then I think you're misunderstanding my point, at least. I wear clothes from those stores all the time. I'm not suggesting one has to shop at Bloomingdales or Saks to look like an adult. When I think of juniors clothing, I'm thinking about clothes from stores like Forever 21...or Macys juniors department...or Wet Seal....not odd-numbered sizes.

LadyPeter
05-09-2011, 05:51 PM
If you are wearing clothes from Ann Taylor or BR, then they are not the juniors clothing people are talking about here. If you think people are saying the clothing that comes from those stores is not fancy enough to look sophisticated, then I think you're misunderstanding my point, at least. I wear clothes from those stores all the time. I'm not suggesting one has to shop at Bloomingdales or Saks to look like an adult. When I think of juniors clothing, I'm thinking about clothes from stores like Forever 21...or Macys juniors department...or Wet Seal....not odd-numbered sizes.

:yeahthat:

jvs195
05-09-2011, 07:23 PM
:yeahthat:

Same here. I've been shopping at Ann Taylor and Gap since the mid 80's (when I was a junior) and don't recall juniors sizing, but I can't imagine it's the same as what most people consider juniors clothing in this post.

s7714
05-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't judge anyone for shopping in the juniors dept. unless they look like they shop in the jrs. dept., iykwim. If you're sporting a way too trendy top that is clearly marketed for a tween then yeah, I'd question your shopping cred. ;) I occasionally find cute pieces in the jrs. dept. that work well with my wardrobe and style, but agree with PPs that often the stuff in the jrs. dept. is cheaply made and doesn't hold up longer than a year, maybe two at most. Plus I'm way too busty for a lot of the tops. I don't regularly make it a habit of shopping in that dept. but if I happen to notice something while walking by I don't hesitate to try it on!

I wouldn't gage jeans not fitting unless you tried on a LOT of different brands. For that matter, different jeans from different lines at different stores can vary too. For instance I went looking for some post-pregnancy bottoms because my pre-preg size 12 stuff still isn't fitting. I didn't want to spend a fortune since I'll only be wearing it a few months (hopefully) so I tried Walmart. I tried on 14s and everything was huge. I ended up getting some Lee brand stuff in size 12 that fit perfectly. Later that day I tried Kohl's and every. single. Lee brand item I tried on in a 12 was way too tight where as the 14s fit perfect. Why are the sizes in from the same brand so different at different stores? No clue, but case in point you need to keep trying things on!!!

WolfpackMom
05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I guess I just dont see much difference from the Kohls juniors dept to Old Navy clothes for instance. Yeah 5-7-9/Wet Seal etc are teenager stores. But Macys juniors or Kohls jrs etc do have clothing that isnt all inappropriate. I dont shop for myself from either - I dont shop from jrs sections at all anymore - although I have been known to look for dresses there along with the womens section.

Clearly everyone thinks Im wrong - just offering a different perspective that there is jr sized clothing that is cut like other clothing.

ETA I mentioned the odd numbered sizes because those were brought up by someone else. And yeah as someone else said sometimes you cant find clothes in less than size 6 (particularly in deparment stores or stores like Kohls.) I had that problem when buying my first suits for my first job, and like I said I bought them from jrs, at Kohls. But I guess one buys what they can afford and I couldnt wear the ones in the women's section.

TwinFoxes
05-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Same here. I've been shopping at Ann Taylor and Gap since the mid 80's (when I was a junior) and don't recall juniors sizing, but I can't imagine it's the same as what most people consider juniors clothing in this post.

Same here, and the same for BR. I certainly don't remember junior sizes there.

I wouldn't judge anyone for shopping in the juniors dept. unless they look like they shop in the jrs. dept., iykwim.

:yeahthat: this totally sums it up. I have one top I love from Forever 21. ONE top. :) But a wardrobe consisting primarily of juniors clothes is a no go IMHO.

DrSally
05-09-2011, 11:26 PM
I think it's a personal preference and you should focus on the fit and style of the item rather than the department first.

:yeahthat: I think Jr's fit slimmer, so sometimes I have to size up. That said, I've started looking at Juniors again in my late 30's b/c it's a way to get trendier items for very cheap. I have mostly gotten Jr's items at Nordstrom Rack. Their BP stuff can be nice quality and very cheap--talking $10-$15. OTOH, I've looked in Forever 21 (hide face) recently and seen women of all ages there. I have yet to buy anything there, though, b/c the quality seems pretty poor. I have seen a few things that I would buy, but they run out of sizes quickly!

ETA: Here's an example of something I got at NR from their BP (juniors dept). This summer sweater in green for $10
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/frenchi-ribbed-back-open-cardigan-juniors/3006190?origin=category&resultback=225

Recently, Forever 21 had navy/white stripped tops that I would've gotten had they had my size. I love that look and the price was right.

BabbyO
05-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I regularly shop in the Jr's dept for casual wear. I like the fit of their t-shirt type tops better than what I find in Misses. I've also purchased a couple of sweaters...get this...when I was expecting, because the Empire waist on them was perfect for my preggo belly and Maternity wear is hard to find in my area.

However, my work clothes generally come from the Misses dept.

I guess it boils down to fit and use for me. I will say that I do agree that the fabrics usually aren't quality...but sometimes that's ok for the use (PJ's, Swim coverup, etc).

lowrioh
05-10-2011, 02:48 PM
As someone is is a size 12/14 I think that you would find most Jr size clothing cut too small...especially if you are big busted.