PDA

View Full Version : So far, this Mothers Day, I have...

citymama
05-08-2011, 05:56 PM
...woken up at 6.30 to take care of DDs
...let DH sleep in till 8.45
...fed the kids breakfast
...made a special breakfast for my ILs, who were staying with us
...served breakfast (DH cleaned up)
...done 3 loads of laundry
...did not get to take a shower till 1pm
...had my older DD 'throw' a card in my direction bc she was mad that mom was getting all the attention
--heated up leftovers for lunch which I ate pretty much solo, while feeding the baby
--no special mothers day anything so far.

Pity party over.

This should be on BP, but it's not bc my DD2 (just turned 1) made up for the generally annoying situation by being extra cuddly, snuggly and adorable this morning. And I ordered myself a Mothers Day present last week - and DH did most of the prep and cleanup for DD2s 1st birthday party, which was a lot of fun. If only I could figure out how to "unbratify" DD1, who is in prime 5 year old form these days...

veronica
05-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Happy Mother's Day:hug:

My mom and Dad did the "pop-in" today which they know I am fervently against these days. They caught us eating take-out lunch....me still in my Hanna Short john bottoms (size small still conveniently fit under the large mass I am carrying) and DH's t-shirt, which does not reach the top of the shorts. Oh yeah, the evil eye came out!

goldenpig
05-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Aw, happy Mother's Day! Hope the rest of the day is better. Glad the party went well. :love2:

mctlaw
05-08-2011, 06:31 PM
:hug:Happy Mother's Day. Buy something expensive online!

citymama
05-08-2011, 06:42 PM
:hug:Happy Mother's Day. Buy something expensive online!

Done!

Funny how a little retail therapy can help.

Also, I took a short nap while DD2 napped, and that did wonders!

twowhat?
05-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. DH was nice enough to get me a card. But, I got up with the girls, made every meal, entertained them while he sorted bills, took them out for a walk so he could do what he wanted, and made myself a mother's day cake. I would love to be able to just clean up the kitchen in peace.

To be fair though, I always say "nothing" when he asks what I want for mother's day. I guess I'm just shooting myself in the foot:)

niccig
05-08-2011, 07:46 PM
To be fair though, I always say "nothing" when he asks what I want for mother's day. I guess I'm just shooting myself in the foot:)

Yes, you are if you want to do something. You can't get upset if you haven't said what you want.

I make a point of letting DH and DS know what I want "I want to go out for breakfast." "I don't want to cook at all that day" "I want to sleep in." etc. Neither can say they don't know what I want, as I make it VERY clear.

veronica
05-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I make a point of letting DH and DS know what I want "I want to go out for breakfast." "I don't want to cook at all that day" "I want to sleep in." etc. Neither can say they don't know what I want, as I make it VERY clear.

I make those points every. single. day.;)

twowhat?
05-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Yes, you are if you want to do something. You can't get upset if you haven't said what you want.

Oh, I completely agree. I mean, I'll totally ask for an afternoon out to shop, etc and DH is happy to do that for me. We're not a big gift family so I didn't ask for any sort of gift for Mother's Day.

But when I get up with the girls every single day, you'd think that maybe, on Mother's Day, he might consider volunteering to do it for ONE day. Or he might consider volunteering to play with the girls for 15 minutes so I could do a load of laundry in peace. Instead I managed the girls pretty much on my own all day. On Mother's Day. Yes, I probably should have asked him to play with them for 20 min. But I don't want to HAVE to ask for something so simple, you know? Something that he should WANT to do for me?? On Mother's Day??

I know this is a guy thing. But at the same time it's very frustrating when you feel like it would just be a common courtesy that should be offered every so often but that it doesn't even happen on Mother's Day!!! And of course I am shooting myself in both feet for being too stubborn to just ASK him to do every single simple thing that I think he oughtta be able to figure out on his own:)

OP, didn't mean to take away from your rant. Just saying that I kinda get where you're coming from!

niccig
05-08-2011, 09:56 PM
I know this is a guy thing. But at the same time it's very frustrating when you feel like it would just be a common courtesy that should be offered every so often but that it doesn't even happen on Mother's Day!!! And of course I am shooting myself in both feet for being too stubborn to just ASK him to do every single simple thing that I think he oughtta be able to figure out on his own:)

I think you're going to have to ask for this. I get what you mean that you shouldn't have to ask to sleep in on mother's day or for help while you're doing something else...but if it's not happening, and you don't ask for it, it'll never happen. I've accepted that DH is clueless on some things and only a clear request gets through.

I will admit that I'm a bit like a stereotypical male in that I have no idea what to give someone for occasions, so I ask to get concrete ideas. My Dh on the other hand, never needs to ask and he always gives great things. So maybe I'm better at telling what I want, as I like to be told.

Now if you ask, and he still doesn't do it, that's a completely different story.

I have a DH that is very good at listening and hearing what I say, he does say he has to keep me happy - a couple of friends have separated/divorced and this was one reason, so I think he's a little scared the same could happen to us if we don't listen to each other.

Globetrotter
05-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Awww.... how disappointing!

My preteen was giving me major attitude this morning when I asked her to clean the playroom (apparently, I was giving orders!). All I ask is for one day without attitude.. sigh.

OTOH, I'm glad your party was a success! Did you post about it?

sste
05-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Someone needs to create an internet "Mother's Day Wall of Shame" where people can post their stories complete with their DH's picture via i-phone (I am recalling some posts here of the DH sleeping in or vomiting in the bathroom).

If clear communication of the wife's/mother's needs and wishes is not working . . . I think public shaming is in order!

And lots of lovely retail therapy.

niccig
05-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Someone needs to create an internet "Mother's Day Wall of Shame" where people can post their stories complete with their DH's picture via i-phone (I am recalling some posts here of the DH sleeping in or vomiting in the bathroom).

Like the blog about people that are good tippers.

Babymakes3
05-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I had a crappy mothers day too, i'm sorry.

DH came home right after I got DS up, he dropped Mcdonalds b-fast on the counter and left again. He was working (on call this weekend), he came home and gave DS flowers to give to me and he gave me a bag of chocolate. I know he did something but it wasn't really an effort, that is the same thing he gives me every holiday including birthdays. I don't know how much more clear I could have made my request, "I want a massage gift certificate/appt or something". Then I ran around late afternoon to see my mom briefly and then to my in laws (w/o DH) for dinner where my FIL proceeded to refuse to eat with us bc he was mad that I didn't bring mine and DS's swimsuits.
During DS's naptime I also did laundry which included sheets and towels, vac'd and steam mopped my floors. Fun.

AnnieW625
05-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Happy Mothers Day:)

I totally know what you mean. I hate to say it but honestly this is why I don't take too much stock in mothers day. Yesterday we went to Disneyland for 5 hrs. (amount of time you get to park for free at Downtown Disney!) and it was a zoo, but I didn't have to be at the house cleaning (which REALLY needs to be done), and thankfully we had left overs so I just had to reheat. DD1 called my mom which was awesome because DD1 hates talking on the phone. I did two loads of laundry.

I got a card and a $15 Itunes card from DH. I like that kind of predictability honestly. I told DH at 10:45 when he came in and found me in bed that I had just over an hour of Mothers Day left and I wanted to sleep. He let me sleep and I didn't even hear him get DD1 up to go pee or him get into bed. Great end to another Sunday.

arivecchi
05-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I am sorry citymama. :hug:

My DH was not so great either until I told him what I expected.

This year he let me sleep in (I slept till 9 - woohoo!), ordered a huge breakfast from a nearby diner and brought it home for us and we then spent the entire day together at an adventure park. It was an awesome day because he went through the effort of making it special for me.

I was honestly shocked that he did so well this year compared to previous efforts! So there is hope!