PDA

View Full Version : DS's tooth wiggly but new one is already coming in

niccig
05-08-2011, 07:44 PM
DS has his first lose tooth. It's very wiggly and I noticed today that the permanent tooth is already coming in, but behind and at a 45 degree angle to the loose tooth.

Should I call the dentist? Not worry the tooth will straighten once the loose tooth is gone??

THanks.

JBaxter
05-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Happens all the time. Dont worry once the baby tooth is gone the adult tooth usually straightens up.

niccig
05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Happens all the time. Dont worry once the baby tooth is gone the adult tooth usually straightens up.

Thanks.
I was kind of surprised that the new one is already above the gum - thought we would have a gap for a while. DS will be annoyed as he was looking forward to being able to squirt water through the gap.

bubbaray
05-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Our ped. dentist actually said this *was* a reason to come in and get the baby tooth extracted.

JBaxter
05-08-2011, 08:04 PM
really have them wiggle and try to get it out. Nathan has had that happen with 3 teeth so far. His top front tooth was 1/4 the way in before the baby one finally came out. Logan also had it happen with his bottom front teeth.

american_mama
05-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Not sure about the 45 degree angle part, but everything I've read here, on the internet, and with two dentists is that it's normal for the adult tooth to come in before the baby tooth is gone. It's called "shark teeth," I think. DD2 has it with two teeth and her ped dentist didn't care. She did say - and I personally thought this was jumping the gun - that sometimes the shark teeth in the front, combined with the limited space DD2 has in that area, can be a warning sign that a permanent incisor is missing, and that the ped dentist would do an xray or something if that later seemed to be a concern.

almostamom
05-08-2011, 08:51 PM
DS had this happen with his first tooth a few months ago. He has a second wiggler on the bottom and the permanent tooth is coming in right behind it. When he lost his first tooth, the gap only lasted about a week and half until the permanent tooth was completely grown in.

chlobo
05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
My daughter has a "shark tooth" in front and the dentist has advised us to get the baby teeth extracted. However, her baby tooth isn't loose at all so perhaps that makes a difference.

g-mama
05-08-2011, 09:23 PM
My 10 yo and my 7yo have had this happen every single time they lose a tooth. The adult tooth always comes in behind the baby tooth and then moves up correctly when the baby tooth falls out. Two different dentists has told us not to worry at all and that they would never extract a tooth for that reason.

HIU8
05-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Be careful what you wish for. DS has lost 8 teeth so far (he is 6). He has 3 permanent that came in on the bottom. He has a HUGE hole in his mouth. Cute for a while, then....

KpbS
05-08-2011, 10:38 PM
My 10 yo and my 7yo have had this happen every single time they lose a tooth. The adult tooth always comes in behind the baby tooth and then moves up correctly when the baby tooth falls out. Two different dentists has told us not to worry at all and that they would never extract a tooth for that reason.

Glad to know this! Niccig, I've been meaning to post this question for weeks now. DS1 has 2 "shark teeth" on the bottom that have been hanging out for several weeks almost 1/2 way up and just lost his 2nd tooth the other day. Now another lower incisor is wiggly and I've been wondering if he needed to have some teeth pulled to make room. One more appt. to make!

niccig
05-08-2011, 11:12 PM
The tooth is out.

I had DS keep wiggling it. He tried an apple, but that hurt too much. Pretzels worked though, and it came out.

He's very proud and can't wait for the tooth fairy to come. I think we're going to do $5 for the first tooth and then $1 after that.

Friends told me to not do a silver dollar for each tooth, as they were on vacation on a Saturday and couldn't get to the bank. Oops.