PDA

View Full Version : scamming on grand pianos! wow.

ThreeofUs
05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
khm, bless her!, found the scam thread. thanks to all of you who replied.

Back story: we are kinda-sorta in the market for a grand piano. We were in the market, because we were told my old piano was dead. Second tuner tuned it, but we kinda got the bug for a grand.

So tonight, DH finds this on craigslist:
$2400 for a Yamaha G-3 grand. A 1994. Looks fantastic in the pictures.

I think "hmmm, maybe it's a scam", but emailed anyway. And I get back the strangest answer.

Thank you for your interest in my piano. I just moved to Helena, MT and there are a lot of things that have priority now, so the instrument has to go. It looks exactly as pictured, over the years, this piano has been gently played, very well cared for and tuned regularly. I will agree selling it for $2.400.
I am willing to sell it fast, so get back to me only if you're ready to make this purchase. This is a very well maintained piano, due to the fact that I am very busy with my work I need a fast transaction, and I can`t afford to waste time on advertising the piano at the true value. If you're willing to make this purchase, contact me asap and let's start the transaction.

Specs

6'1" 1994 Yamaha G3E Ebony Grand Piano
Number of keys 88
Number of pedals 3Oh, really, 88 keys, 3 pedals? This is obviously not a piano person.

What do you think? A scam? A stolen grand piano (really?!)? Or am I just too suspicious?

MotownMom
05-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a scam. The way the reply is worded it sounds like one of those letters from a prince in Nigeria who wants us all to wore him money...

ahisma
05-08-2011, 08:08 PM
It is oddly worded. But...there can be different numbers of keys on a grand. Older ones have a few less, 84 or 85, I think? And, some had a full octave less.

But, a Yahama G-3 is a pretty standard grand, seems odd that anyone would think that there may be a different number of keys.

It totally could be a scam, or it could just be someone fed up with annoying CL emails (not yours...but you know what I mean).

ThreeofUs
05-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Just got this reply. I'm thinking definitely a scam, are you?

This piano was in property of my husband who died two months ago and for that i sell the piano so cheap because I can not handle alone with two children.
At this time the piano is in Helena, MT because we moved here after his death.
The piano is at the shipping company ready for the shipping.I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them, being the safest for both of us. Let me explain how it works:
First of all I will need your full name and shipping address so I can register the transaction with eBay. Once you receive the details from eBay, the piano will be reserved for you until you read the details and decide if you want to proceed or not. You will have a 5 days inspection period, after the piano arrives at your address to make sure it's as described.
If you agree with this terms please reply with your full name and address so we can get the ball rolling.

ahisma
05-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Umm...do you live in Helena, or did they leave the piano behind? I think it would be really odd to move a grand if you were going to turn around and sell it.

ahisma
05-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Oh. Totally a scam. Weird.

SnuggleBuggles
At first I wasn't sure. Email 2? Scam.

Beth

wellyes
I thought it was all fine until the "let's start the transaction" bit. Does he think you're going to give him money before seeing it? I would not give him money until you've inspected it and have your own working plan to transport it.

I'd still pursue it if I were you, but warily.

khm
05-08-2011, 08:12 PM
googled helena, mt, piano, cl

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1618075/Yamaha%20DC3A%20Grand.html

ThreeofUs
05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
googled helena, mt, piano, cl

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1618075/Yamaha%20DC3A%20Grand.html

KHM, I could kiss you! Thank you so much for looking this up! :kisscheek: