PDA

View Full Version : Leapster v. Explorer v. something else

Melaine
05-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Sort of convoluted question, but here it goes:

DDs both have the original Leapsters bought on clearance. They enjoy them and have two games each. We have a 9 hour car trip coming up and I was thinking about getting them another game each. Then, I started wondering if I should hold out for new technology.

Is the Leapster Explorer great compared to the original (or L2, which we also don't have?). Or should I start saving money for the new Leappad one? It annoys me that the games don't cross-over, so any games I buy for the Leapsters now won't work on the Explorer later. Or is it not so much better that I would be tempted?

I ask also because one of the Leapsters has been acting sort of weird, sometimes shutting down when the batteries are still fresh. If one goes bad, I'm sure we'd be looking for something better, you know? Any thoughts?

HIU8
05-08-2011, 09:31 PM
honestly, I would hold out for a DS. Both my kids have leapsters (DD's has issues shutting down). DS went quickly from the leapster to a DS and likes it much much better.

Melaine
05-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I totally forgot about the DS. I have one myself but just hadn't thought about the children's games available. Hmmm....that is a good point. Thanks!

ohiomom1121
05-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Totally agree about the DS. My kids both had original Leapsters and we got them each a DS Lite and they love them. I think your girls are around the age of DS1 and there are tons of games for that age group, plus more choices as they get older.

lhafer
05-09-2011, 10:21 AM
My DD1 had a DS and loves it. It's fantastic for care trips!

katydid1971
05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I think you should get a couple games for the leapster and skip moving up to anything else. Once you move up the leapster won't be played with any longer. There are lots of fun games that will still challenge your girls plus you can find them on craigslist/garage sales for pretty good prices. As far as car trips go I let DS play with the leapster 1 time on a car trip and he got car sick and threw up. It has never happened before or since. My DN had the same problem. You didn't ask this but I think your money would be better spent buying a car DVD player. We have one but only put in the car if we drive 2 hours or more. It really does make the trip nicer for kids. (A pre trip to the library to pick out some movies is also a good idea ;)) http://www.target.com/Philips-Screen-Portable-Player-PD7012/dp/B001V3B8YC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=dvd&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-1&qid=1304955214&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Philips%20Screen%20Portable%20Player%20PD7012&node=1038598&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038598&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_ primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

Melaine
05-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks everyone. Good news, I found two new games that I had put away (super Kmart clearance). So I will pull those out and keep an eye out for a second used DS for the next upgrade. Hopefully, the random shut-off of the Leapster was a short-term problem that won't reappear.

We have a portable DVD player that works in the car and I agree it is totally worth it!