PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeve: Slow parking space leavers

MMMommy
05-08-2011, 10:13 PM
I know that when someone is waiting for my parking space, I quickly buckle up, buckle the kids up, and get out of my space as quickly as possible. I know that the person is waiting for my space, so I make an extra effort to be quick to get out.

Why is it that when I am waiting for a space, the person is as slow as molasses to get out? I swear that the person I am waiting for to leave will brush their hair, reapply lipstick, check their email on their phone, organize all contents in their car, etc. When someone is waiting, don't you think you could hurry it up a little? And I'm not talking about people who take their time strapping their kids in, because I know that is necessary and important. I'm talking about the ones that really take their sweet time doing who knows what, while others are waiting. If someone were waiting, I would be inclined to move out of the space and pull over elsewhere if I needed to check my phone email or brush my hair or reapply makeup.

Anyone else bugged by this?

doberbrat
05-08-2011, 10:30 PM
absolutely!!!!

happened tonight in fact. We went out to eat and a family had 3 parking spots (extended family I guess) Seriously, while several cars waited, baking up traffic, they exchanged laundry, traded foods, then went back and forth across the parking rows to give repeated hugs. the cars infront of us gave up, so we decided to wait since they were actually getting INTO the car. Only then they rolled down the window to do ???? and then, it took them several minutes to carefully back their corolla out of the space.

jal
05-09-2011, 03:21 PM
While I can't quote a source, I remember a new story from about 5 years ago where a collage research facility actually studied this phenomenon. They basically studied a parking lot and measured the average time it took for someone to pull out of a parking spot when someone was waiting for the spot v. no one waiting for the spot. As you might guess, they found that the average time WAS longer when there was someone waiting for the spot.

Me personally? I don't try to consiously slow down, but I'm also not going to speed up just because someone wants my spot. After all, there are tons of other parking places. Yes, you might have to walk an extra 100', but you are likely about to go do some shopping where you are likely to walk as much as a mile... will the extra 100' kill you? Not to mention you will likely get in the store quicker if you just go ahead and take a spot you don't have to wait on. You will walk that 100' quicker than it's going to take for me to load up my purchases and buckle my kids and self in. MOVE ON!!!

Melaine
05-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Me personally? I don't try to consiously slow down, but I'm also not going to speed up just because someone wants my spot. After all, there are tons of other parking places. Yes, you might have to walk an extra 100', but you are likely about to go do some shopping where you are likely to walk as much as a mile... will the extra 100' kill you? Not to mention you will likely get in the store quicker if you just go ahead and take a spot you don't have to wait on. You will walk that 100' quicker than it's going to take for me to load up my purchases and buckle my kids and self in. MOVE ON!!!

:yeahthat: If someone starts blocking traffic to wait for my space when I am just reaching my car, then I feel a bit irked. I am not going to rush for them, ykwim? On the other hand, I am NOT in a big city where parking is at a premium or anything like that. I'm talking about a HUGE Target parking lot where someone is willing to wait 3 minutes to avoid walking the space of 5 car spans. I just don't get that....

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Ive been thinking about this. If there are other spaces that are reasonably ok then hogging a space doesn't bother me that much. Like if someone was slow to leave the 5 th car in the row and space 10 is open I'd just park in space 10, kwim. Ifthe lot is full then yep it bugs me!

wellyes
05-09-2011, 03:36 PM
This is one of those perennially BPs, along with "Pet Peeve: People who hover as I'm trying to leave a parking spot" :rotflmao:

I think we can all agree that parking lots are not fun at all.

MMMommy
05-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm not asking people to rush and hurry unreasonably. If someone is waiting for my space, I would try to be courteous and get moving as quickly and efficiently as possible. Not brush my hair, check my email messages, clean my car, etc. And I'm not talking about situations where there are spaces readily nearby or about drivers who need to take the time to strap their kids in their car, b/c that is just safety common sense. If there were spaces readily nearby, I would gladly take them. I'm talking about scarce or scant parking space situations where there are no readily available spaces nearby. Just out of consideration, I try to pick up the pace a little when I know that someone is waiting for my space.

I do think it is rude to hover and block traffic waiting for a space if there are plenty of spaces available or nearby. If there are nearby spaces or other spaces a walk away, hoverers should not hover and go for those. So I totally get that.

HonoluluMom
05-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Yes, I'm bugged by this! At certain places in Honolulu, parking is at an absolute premium and you have to wait for stalls to open up. When someone is waiting for my stall, I try to get out as soon as possible.

Just the other day, I was at a store that's notorious for lack of parking. I saw a car with its reverse lights on, so I stopped and waited for several minutes (pulled to the side so I wouldn't block other cars). I then noticed the guy was on his cell phone! Don't put your car in reverse if you have no intention of leaving right away!:angry-smiley-005: I found another parking stall and when I walked by the other car, its reverse lights were still on, there was another car waiting, and the driver was still on his phone! :thumbsdown:

ha98ed14
05-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Well, I will weigh in as the "It's okay to take your time" voice of dissent. In my opinion, unless there is a sign that limits parking (1 hour, 2 hour, etc.) I figure my spot is my spot and I am going to do whatever I need to in it to feel safe and comfortable before I drive away. Admittedly, I find it annoying too when I am pressed for time and someone is taking their sweet time putting on lipstick, but at the same time, better to do it parked in the spot than stopped at a red light. I figure I (or they) got there first, so 'ems the breaks!

TwinFoxes
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM
I think we all get frustrated waiting. But in all honesty if the choice is talking on a cell/texting in a parking space, and doing it on the road, the safer place is the parking space. I think it's a bit unrealistic to ask someone to leave their space, find somewhere else safe to pull over, and then text/call.

MMMommy
05-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Reading the responses is making wonder now if I am silly to hurry it up when I know someone is waiting for my space. Because I do go out of my way to quickly buckle up myself and the kids in order to not keep the person waiting too long.

And in situations where I want to make a call or knew that I wasn't leaving right away, I usually give a courtesy wave or courtesy shout out to the waiting car to let them know that I am not leaving just yet.

bubbaray
05-09-2011, 09:58 PM
If someone is waiting, I make sure to go extra slow. If they don't want to wait, too darn bad. Go find another parking spot. Sometimes I'll just sit in my car and not start it and wait for them to freak out. Especially fun at Christmas.

OK, clearly I've had a bad day.

MMMommy
05-09-2011, 10:00 PM
If someone is waiting, I make sure to go extra slow. If they don't want to wait, too darn bad. Go find another parking spot. Sometimes I'll just sit in my car and not start it and wait for them to freak out. Especially fun at Christmas.

OK, clearly I've had a bad day.

I have to admit, that cracked me up and made me laugh out loud!

bubbaray
05-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Parking can be so crazy here, people act like they own the spot when they see you walking towards it. With a double stroller -- a baby and a 3 yo. Seriously?

ha98ed14
05-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Reading the responses is making wonder now if I am silly to hurry it up when I know someone is waiting for my space. Because I do go out of my way to quickly buckle up myself and the kids in order to not keep the person waiting too long.

And in situations where I want to make a call or knew that I wasn't leaving right away, I usually give a courtesy wave or courtesy shout out to the waiting car to let them know that I am not leaving just yet.

No, I would just say that you are a better, nicer person than I am. :) But this is coming from someone who was prepared to print up bumper stickers that said "If you can see my fat @$$, go find another spot; I'm gonna be a while!"

MMMommy
05-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Honestly, the responses in this thread is making me think that I am too much of a pushover when it comes to strangers waiting for my space. I should adopt the "who cares" attitude and just take my time, rather than feel pressured to get in and out so quickly. Maybe I need to grow a pair....

o_mom
05-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I am totally ROTFL at this thread because this is one of my all time favorite BB posts:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2221976&postcount=10

Melanie
05-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I hear you. And then when you finally give up and pull past - they back out!!

I also really appreciate the "wave" when someone is not immediately leaving. And if I will not be leaving immediately, I either make sure no one sees me get in (LOL - yes, I covertly enter my own car!) or wave people on.

It's just courtesy, you know that thing people don't have anymore!

TwinFoxes
05-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Honestly, the responses in this thread is making me think that I am too much of a pushover when it comes to strangers waiting for my space. I should adopt the "who cares" attitude and just take my time, rather than feel pressured to get in and out so quickly.

Honestly, I don't expect people to hurry. :) If I'm waiting for a space I try to look unhurried, because I don't want them to be annoyed. I'll smile at them, fiddle with the radio, try to look nonchalant. But usually I just park in an already open space. I don't think you need to "grow a pair" but I do think leaving a space, then finding another place to safely make a phone call is way past my level of what I'd do so someone can park 100' closer. :)

ETA: I do wave people on, but I honestly don't always see them, and then I do, and they look exasperated. Sorry, I didn't see you, I was texting NOT while driving :)

infomama
05-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't hurry but I don't doddle either.

What bugs me is when people follow behind you ever.so.slowly to get your spot. I park way out in no mans land now.

TwinFoxes
05-09-2011, 10:36 PM
I am totally ROTFL at this thread because this is one of my all time favorite BB posts:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2221976&postcount=10

I remember that post! I laughed so hard out loud when I read it I had to tell DH what was so funny.

ncat
05-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I try to hurry when I leave if a lot is full but don't worry about it if I can see other spots. It irks me when people hover to wait for my spot, and I frequently take longer to back out - often because I am being careful to avoid their car.

Once I was blocked in to my (closer to the store) spot when trying to leave by someone waiting for a nearby spot. She wouldn't let me out and just take my spot. I had to get out and yell at her after waiting a few minutes and honking failed. I still don't understand this one.

wildfire
05-10-2011, 01:19 AM
For me, a lot depends on attitude, how full the lot is, etc. If it's a full lot and they ask nicely if we are leaving, I do try to move with a purpose (but not rush). If I need a spot and it's a busy parking lot (the zoo on the weekends, for instance) we try to ask nicely if the person is leaving and if we can have their spot. I am fully prepared to wait for kids to be strapped in, strollers put away, etc.

But if someone is acting impatiently or entitled? I do slow down. Once DH and I, when we were new parents, took our time strapping DD1 into the car. And putting away her stroller, etc. I knew someone was waiting, DH did not. We took a while but it was not unreasonable. She was fussy and we were trying to get the baby happy before leaving the spot. They actually blocked us when we were partially pulled out and yelled at us, called us names and told us that they were parents too and thought we took way too long so we were obviously morons. For a parking spot. Really?? I thought a fight was giong to break out between the guy and DH, and the woman wasn't much better! I know the mall can be busy, but it was just regular weekend stuff! So.....we pulled back in and stayed a while. :)

Melanie
05-10-2011, 01:43 AM
Oh that is just ridiculous. They're the morons to tick someone off when they are going to leave their car, unattended, in a known spot for hours! I never understood people who do stuff like that.