PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse for a 4 yr old to grow with

HIU8
05-08-2011, 10:51 PM
DD has the fisher price my first dollhouse. She is bored with it and has asked for something different (she does play with it, but has repeatedly asked for something with more options/advanced). I was looking at some Melissa and Doug dollhouses and some by kidcraft. This is a bday present from her grandfather. I saw several that list recommended age up to 7 or so. I found one that said up to 12 yrs old. How long do girls truly play with dollhouses? Can I expect my 12 yr old to have any interest in a dollhouse, or should I expect waning interest around age 9 or 10?

mnosky1
05-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm curious too - just my experience - my 3 year old loves her my first doll house and Rapunzel tower - they get daily play. My DD(almost 8) never was into dolls but plays some with 2 big barbie houses we have (given to us) especially when friends come over or with her sister. I would think if she was "into" dolls, she would still be playing with a nice doll house. She has a horse farm and horses and plays with that so that is sort of similar but maybe more big girl-ish. A doll house at age 12 - I just don't know.

egoldber
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I think the Loving Family Dollhouse is a good choice.

If you go with a wooden house, I would go with one of the larger ones that are sized for larger dolls. I think they have more longevity.

My 9 year old still plays with dollhouses, although they technically now "belong" to her little sister. She also plays with a wooden stable that we got this year at the holidays.

ETA: My neighbor has the full set of these and I really, really wish they still made them.

http://mydreamdollhouse.com/sweet_streets.htm

My neighbor is 7 (almost 8) and she and my 2 girls will play with these houses for hours. HOURS.

traciann
05-09-2011, 11:03 AM
My 6 and 2 year old love the Loving Family Dollhouse. They have lots of furniture options and I have found the variety really helps keep them interested.

jvs195
05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I think it will depend on the child and what interests her. I had a little dollhouse as a child, and enjoyed playing with it - rearranging furniture etc.. and some play with dolls. When I was 12 my mother won one in a church raffle. It was huge and had been handmade by a friend. I wired it for electricity, bought (and made) a ton of furniture and wallpapered/carpeted it as a gift to her. I really enjoyed that aspect of it and kept the house for as long as I had room for it (had to sell when I moved). I really wish I had it now for my DD, but I plan to build another when I think she's ready (only 2.5 now)

vonfirmath
05-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I can remember playing with our dollhouses into junior high. (my sister and I each had one and we played together). After that, they remained out and on "display" until we left the house. We were proud of them though we did not play anymore

My niece, OTOH, has never been interested in dolls at all. She is 11 and still playing with stuffed animals/making up elaborate stories/etc in a similar manner to what we used to do with Barbies/dollhouses.

new_mommy25
05-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I really, really miss the doll house I had when I was a child. It's the one toy I wish I still had. :( It was the Oh! Jenny doll house from the 80's and I had the entire set. I played with it until I was probably 10 or 11. My two sisters, OTOH, never played with dolls or dollhouses the way I did. My older sister spent all her time reading books and was tom boyish. My younger sister was very creative and spent all her time drawing and making things. I was the girly one and played with dolls and dollhouses for many, many years. I had a big thing for paper dolls, too, and collected those until probably high school.

So I guess what I'm saying is longevity really depends on your DD's personality.

I bought DD a beautiful wooden doll house (Battat, I think you can get it on Constructive Playthings though I bought through Craigslist) and it never got much love. DD really, really wanted the Barbie dream house. I ended up giving the wooden house to my niece and getting her the Barbie house for Christmas. Our house isn't big enough for two. Go with whatever you think your DD will like best.

eta: I think the Loving Family doll house is a really good choice. I love all the extras it has. I would have bought that for DD had I not initially scored the wooden house.