PDA

View Full Version : A laundry problem--mildew. Help!

TwoBees
05-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Is there anyway to get mold/mildew out of clothes? Over a week ago DD came home from daycare with her clothes in a bag. We were all sick, so the bag got thrown into her hamper and forgotten about until yesterday. Unbeknownst to me, some of the clothes in the bag were damp, and now there are mildew spots all over them. I tried putting oxyclean gel on the spots and doing a prewash in warm with oxiclean powder but no luck. Any ideas?

secchick
05-09-2011, 11:45 AM
I would just soak them overnight in vinegar/hot water. That has always worked for me.

TwoBees
05-09-2011, 11:47 AM
I would just soak them overnight in vinegar/hot water. That has always worked for me.

Do you just do this in a bucket or the bathtub? (We don't have a utility sink) What's the ratio of vinegar:water?

secchick
05-09-2011, 11:51 AM
We don't have a utility sink either. I usually just put them in my bathroom sink and use DHs basin if I need to. A bucket would work fine. Ratio isn't really specific, it's not like you are going to hur anything with vinegar, but I would say enough water (as hot as you can get at the tap) to cover the clothes easily and then maybe make it 2/3 water, 1/3 vinegar.

TwoBees
05-09-2011, 11:58 AM
We don't have a utility sink either. I usually just put them in my bathroom sink and use DHs basin if I need to. A bucket would work fine. Ratio isn't really specific, it's not like you are going to hur anything with vinegar, but I would say enough water (as hot as you can get at the tap) to cover the clothes easily and then maybe make it 2/3 water, 1/3 vinegar.

Thanks! I'm going to try tonight.