PDA

View Full Version : 4yo birthday girl invite question

daphne
05-09-2011, 11:40 AM
There are only 4 other little girls in DD's preschool class. She's great friends with one of them, so-so friends with 2 of them, and doesn't like the 4th girl at all. :( I don't feel right about just leaving out one little girl, so should I invite all 4 of them & hope that DD handles it well (she's been very vocal about not wanting to invite this girl) or just invite the one girl who my DD is closest with? The latter is what I'm leaning toward...I'm just worried that all 3 girls will be disappointed if they hear about the party (2 other little girls who aren't in DD's class are invited from her school, too). Thank you for reading this!

trcy
05-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't think I would invite the girl DD does not like. Not sure about the other two though. Tough spot to be in.

wolverine2
05-09-2011, 01:41 PM
I think it's fine to invite just the 1, but not 3 out of 4. If you're going to invite the other 2, you have to include the 4th.

egoldber
05-09-2011, 01:42 PM
:yeahthat:

ett
05-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I would invite either the one girl or all 4.

pinay
05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
If the party is on the small side, I think it's fine to invite just 1 of the girls. I definitely wouldn't leave just one out though.

sunriseiz
05-09-2011, 03:51 PM
I think it's fine to invite just the 1, but not 3 out of 4. If you're going to invite the other 2, you have to include the 4th.

I agree.

robinsmommy
05-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Another vote for 1 or all 4 - DD1 got to experience this recently (meaning, she was the one of 4 left out), and was not invited to a shindig based on room in the vehicle of the host parent. It was excruciating, both for her and us as parents. Granted, a 4 yr old is less socially aware than an 8, and DD didn't have an antagonistic relationship with the girl, but I can almost guarantee that there will be classroom gossip about a birthday party, even at that age.

I would always try to treat another kid the same way you'd want yours treated - if the feeling is mutual, she may decline to come, if you go the route of 4 invites.

Roni
05-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Another vote for 1 or all 4 - DD1 got to experience this recently (meaning, she was the one of 4 left out), and was not invited to a shindig based on room in the vehicle of the host parent. It was excruciating, both for her and us as parents. Granted, a 4 yr old is less socially aware than an 8, and DD didn't have an antagonistic relationship with the girl, but I can almost guarantee that there will be classroom gossip about a birthday party, even at that age.

I would always try to treat another kid the same way you'd want yours treated - if the feeling is mutual, she may decline to come, if you go the route of 4 invites.

I agree--1 or all 4.

ha98ed14
05-09-2011, 08:00 PM
My DD's birthday is the end of this month and she I'll be 4 too. I would invite the one close friend. She won't miss the ones that are meh, but she will be PO'd about having the one she doesn't like. At this age they really do k ow what they want and I want to respect that. Another option would be to give her the choice. Tell her meh friends1&2 can be invited only if nasty3 is too. Nasty could be out of town or sick. Hope springs eternal :)