PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Colorings - how do I know what's in there?

amldaley
05-09-2011, 12:46 PM
As we are pretty sure I am having a reaction to Yellow #5 now, I am trying to read up on artificial colorings (so of course I have read umpteen posts on Feingold) and it got me to thinking about DD...

DD has a major behavior change when she eats Oreos or Snack Pack puddings. (She hasn't had either in ages as they both have milk). The behavior is such that even the daycare teachers shake their heads and say "Oh no, it's an Oreo day.."

So, I went to read the ingredients and see that it just says "artificial flavors and colors". I thought they were required to actually say what's in there? How would anyone be able to determine if they need to avoid it if it doesn't say?

elliput
05-09-2011, 01:26 PM
If it is Oreo's and pudding, I'm going to guess her reaction is to an artificial flavor, not a color. My guess it going to be the culprit is Vanillin.

infomama
05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Hard to say. I would start by emailing the company or better yet just look for alternatives. TJ's chocolate jo jos and Newmans Own oreo like cookies are our choice. Cozy Shack makes a chocolate and a tapioca pudding, both very good. I'm not a Feingold mom but I avoid artificial flavoring and colors 99% of the time.

daisymommy
05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
If it says artificial colors though, why does it matter which one it is? Usually for white icing or pudding, or cookie dough, it's yellow for creaminess. Sometimes brown= yellow and red. I would steer clear of all of them.

o_mom
05-09-2011, 03:21 PM
If they use a 'numbered' color, they have to declare it as such on the label, so it should say 'Yellow #5". However, there are artificial colors that are 'exempt from certification' which are permitted to be labeled as 'artificial colors' without specifying what the color is.

This page has a good overview of the permitted colors and flavors and how they are labeled: http://www.fda.gov/food/foodingredientspackaging/ucm094211.htm

amldaley
05-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Hard to say. I would start by emailing the company or better yet just look for alternatives. TJ's chocolate jo jos and Newmans Own oreo like cookies are our choice. Cozy Shack makes a chocolate and a tapioca pudding, both very good. I'm not a Feingold mom but I avoid artificial flavoring and colors 99% of the time.

We don't eat that stuff at home...ever. But apparently her daycare would shut down and the ground would open up and swallow them whole if they tried serving something *healthy* for a snack....

amldaley
05-09-2011, 04:27 PM
If they use a 'numbered' color, they have to declare it as such on the label, so it should say 'Yellow #5". However, there are artificial colors that are 'exempt from certification' which are permitted to be labeled as 'artificial colors' without specifying what the color is.

This page has a good overview of the permitted colors and flavors and how they are labeled: http://www.fda.gov/food/foodingredientspackaging/ucm094211.htm

Thanks...that info helps get me started.

amldaley
05-09-2011, 04:28 PM
If it says artificial colors though, why does it matter which one it is? Usually for white icing or pudding, or cookie dough, it's yellow for creaminess. Sometimes brown= yellow and red. I would steer clear of all of them.

Sorry, I guess I don't know what you mean?

It matters for me as I am having an allergic reaction to a specific dye. And, while I avoid that stuff as much as I can, if I want to be able to ensure daycare doesn't give it to DD, I have to identify what is causing her reaction and vet it with her doctor to get a doctors note or daycare will just keep giving it to her.

daisymommy
05-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Okay, gottcha, I understand now :)

The first thing I can think of is, does the school have to have a doctor's note to allow her to bring her own snack, if you tell them she has a food allergy to artificial dyes, and from now on, she can only eat food brought from home? I realize some centers are strict and will only bend if you have a doctor's note, which chaps my hide.

I wonder if you talk to her doctor about the behaviors that happen when she eats food dyes, and bring in printed out copies of the studies that have come out recently (I'll post links), and ask him to write a letter to bring to the school--will he force the issue and say you have to know exactly which color it is that is making her behavior off? I hope not for your sake! That would be crazy if you ask me.

As far as for your own allergic reaction--was it you that had the problem with a Cadberry egg?--Hopefully by calling food companies they may share information. I have had some places say it's proprietary (secret) and if my kids have allergies just not to eat it (eye-roll).

Studies:
I'll have to look around. I had them all bookmarked, but my hard drive fried last week and I lost them :(
Here's a good start though: http://www.feingold.org/research.php

wimama
05-10-2011, 08:09 AM
My DS reacts to artificial colors and vanillin. The vanillin, artificial vanilla, is just as bad for him as the dyes. The Feingold association is a good place to start. If you join they have a shopping guide with products researched to be free of these artificials.

Oh, and we eat Whole Foods 365 "oreos". They are yummy and I think taste better than regular Oreos. :wink2:

amldaley
05-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Okay, gottcha, I understand now :)

The first thing I can think of is, does the school have to have a doctor's note to allow her to bring her own snack, if you tell them she has a food allergy to artificial dyes, and from now on, she can only eat food brought from home? I realize some centers are strict and will only bend if you have a doctor's note, which chaps my hide.

I wonder if you talk to her doctor about the behaviors that happen when she eats food dyes, and bring in printed out copies of the studies that have come out recently (I'll post links), and ask him to write a letter to bring to the school--will he force the issue and say you have to know exactly which color it is that is making her behavior off? I hope not for your sake! That would be crazy if you ask me.

As far as for your own allergic reaction--was it you that had the problem with a Cadberry egg?--Hopefully by calling food companies they may share information. I have had some places say it's proprietary (secret) and if my kids have allergies just not to eat it (eye-roll).

Studies:
I'll have to look around. I had them all bookmarked, but my hard drive fried last week and I lost them :(
Here's a good start though: http://www.feingold.org/research.php

Yes, her school will honor a doctors note but ONLY a doctors note. But her doctors office will only write the note if I can narrow down specifically what it is that is causing the reaction. To say all artificial colors and flavors would be way too broad. I called yesterday to get her a referral to the allergist so I can stop dancing around a primary Dr who does not understand allergies. He suggested that if DD can eat hot dogs, then there is no way she has a dairy allergy. WTH? I explained she has only eaten hot dogs 4 times ever, so that would not be a good diagnostic tool for us. Needless to say, I am struggling with both the Dr's office and the daycare!

For mine, yes, it was that darned Cadbury egg and then we were on a trip this weekend and I was super thirsty and DH did not want to stop. He offered me one of his Gatorades. I have never had Lemonade Gatorade before...and I can assure you I will never have it again. The only common ingredient between the two products is the Yellow #5. My primary Dr agrees and I have an appointment to see the allergist in three weeks.

But DD's reaction is different than mine - hers is totally behavioral. And she doesn't seem to have an issue with Yellow. We have specifically noticed the behavioral issue with Oreos and chocolate Snack Pack pudding. Vanillin could be the issue but I do wonder if it is a coloring as they are both brown.

Thanks for all the ideas...I do appreciate it!

amldaley
05-10-2011, 08:21 AM
My DS reacts to artificial colors and vanillin. The vanillin, artificial vanilla, is just as bad for him as the dyes. The Feingold association is a good place to start. If you join they have a shopping guide with products researched to be free of these artificials.

Oh, and we eat Whole Foods 365 "oreos". They are yummy and I think taste better than regular Oreos. :wink2:

And people wonder why I drive 2+ hours to get to a WF! We go a couple of times a year to stock up - I will have to look for safe treats for DD!
Thanks!

daisymommy
05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10, you will not see anything on an allergy test for food dyes, preservatives, and flavorings. Theres several articles on Feingold about this. It can only be "proven" by observation, not blood or skin prick tests.

Most children who cannot handle food dyes react to all of them--not just one isolated color/#. Certain ones are worse (yellow and red).

wimama
05-10-2011, 10:38 AM
And people wonder why I drive 2+ hours to get to a WF! We go a couple of times a year to stock up - I will have to look for safe treats for DD!
Thanks!

I totally stock up when I got to TJ and Whole Foods. I typically go to Whole Foods 1-2 times per month (30 minute drive) and TJ once every 4-8 weeks (45-50 drive). I fill in with food from the regular grocery stores.

Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10, you will not see anything on an allergy test for food dyes, preservatives, and flavorings. Theres several articles on Feingold about this. It can only be "proven" by observation, not blood or skin prick tests.

Most children who cannot handle food dyes react to all of them--not just one isolated color/#. Certain ones are worse (yellow and red).

A big :yeahthat: not all food allergies and food sensitives will show up in allergy testing. That is why elimination diets are often used for food sensitives. Maybe a different doctor might write you a prescription once you get things figured out. Just saying, you might find another pediatrician that is more friendly to dietary sensitives and more willing to write you the prescription.;) FWIW - This is the AAP recent stance on food dyes. They are refering to the 2007 Lancet article in the review.

http://www.feingold.org/Research/PDFstudies/AAP08.pdf

I initially start looking to DS diet as a problem because he was always sick. I suspected a dairy allergy because he had so many respiratory problems. In my internet research I ran across some post on a board with moms describing the behavior changes in children when they ate something they were sensitive to. A light bulb went off. At 3 1/2 years old, DS was either my sweet, well behaved boy who could pay attention and sound out words when reading with us. Or, he was overly emotional, very impulsive, couldn't settle down to sleep and distracted to the point he couldn't pay any attention to us reading to him. I saw a few mentions of the Feingold diet and figured it was a good place to start and we could always add items back in and test them out. Turns out DS is very sensitive to the artificial dyes, vanillin and high salycylate containing fruits. Basically the Feingold diet is perfect for him. But, really any food sensitivity can cause behavioral changes.

We had always noticed that chocolate seemed to have a big effect on DS. Little did we know it was the vanillin in the chocolate causing it. When we first signed up for the Feingold diet, we tenitively tested it out by giving DS a huge bowl of approved chocolate ice cream right before bed. A recipe for disaster normally. But, nothing happened. It didn't have any effect on him and he settled down and went to bed without any problems. We were convinced from that moment on.;)

tiapam
05-10-2011, 11:01 AM
the marshmallows in my cabinet right now list Blue # 1 so the white part of the Oreo likely has some kind of food dye. it's not always obvious where the food dye might be in a food product.

to pps, thanks for the heads up on vanillin. i am just starting the process of eliminating dyes for DS (and the rest of us) and I keep finding new things to look into.