PDA

View Full Version : Road trip with a 6mo old?

trcy
05-09-2011, 01:56 PM
DH and I are thinking about driving home to see friends and family. It would be a 1200 mile trip broken up into a few days. There is no way we can afford to fly. Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas? TIA

trcy
05-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Anyone have any thought? Also DD will be days shy of 6 mo. We plan on taking her to the beach on this trip. Is sunscreen safe for her?

DietCokeLover
05-29-2011, 11:05 AM
We have made several 1000+ mile trips with little ones. The best advice I have is for someone to sit in the back with the baby to talk and entertain. Keep a bag of toys that you can play with baby.

As for the beach, I would definitely invest in a beach umbrella to keep baby shaded as much as possible.

ChristinaLucia
05-29-2011, 01:00 PM
We did a similar trip with a 6 month old. The last 8 hours of driving was the worst, but until then it was pretty good. I suggest someone trying to entertain in the back. Maybe lots of stops to stretch her legs/crawl around?

I would buy a SPF suit to cover most of your DD's body and then use one of the least toxic sunscreens (check Skindeep?) for areas not covered.

LMPC
05-29-2011, 07:58 PM
We did a similar roadtrip when DD was 6 months old. We made use of her nap times (no stopping at all!) and then made sure to build in stops when she was awake. One of us did sit in the back to entertain her a lot of the time (read: not when she was sleeping). As for the beach, I agree...invest in an umbrella, a good rashguard suit, and good rating sunscreen. Oh and a couple of wide brimmed hats with straps.

Have fun!