PDA

View Full Version : Updated first post: first baby gift, what would you rather have?

AnnieW625
05-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Well the said baby shower was really nice and I ended up getting her the following stuff:
Babe Au Lait nursing cover in Yoko (http://www.amazon.com/Bebe-Lait-Nursing-Cover-Chocolate/dp/B001CCHUTE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305561892&sr=8-1-fkmr0)
Munchkin set of hand and foot teethers
Mam pacifier and pacifier clips
Butt Paste
package of 6 Gerber Premium cloth diapers
Infantino carseat clip on rattle

All essentials I loved. I am going to return the swaddling blankets because she had registered for the A&A blankets from Target and got them.

She got a few really cute diaper cakes and also got a few packages of diapers so I am glad I decided to step outside the box and not do diapers.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!
-------
diapers and wipes and or swaddling blankets like Aden & Anais Classic blankets (I love the ones DD1 has).

My college roommate is having a baby, first baby in 13 yrs. on her side of the family (not sure about the boyfriend haven't met him yet), and most of her friends kids are between 5 and 8 so I am guessing she won't be getting a lot of hand me downs, but her registry is filled with lots of generic stuff like diapers, and newborn clothes. I am one who tries to think outside the box here. I believe she also needs a copy of Baby Bargains so I might include that or Baby 411.

Yes I am a tad off my rocker because I posted a similar post last week for another friend who had a second baby.

jgenie
05-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Swaddling blankets. Diapers and wipes are a necessity but the swaddles would be a luxury someone might feel guilty about buying but would love as a gift.

traciann
05-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Diapers. Its not as fun to buy, but to me they were the most appreciated gift.

arivecchi
05-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Neither. Diapers are too boring a gift. Swaddling blankets are a common gift IME. Definitely the BB book and something out of her registry that's more fun. I loved it when people gave me gift certificates so I could complete my registry. So fun!

Another idea. Get something to match your friend's personality. For instance, I have a friend who is very outdoorsy and her DH is a writer. I got her an outdoor blanket and a classic children's book. :)

Indianamom2
05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
If it were me, I'd prefer the diapers, of the two choices....but I usually try to buy something that I have found immensely helpful....the Fisher Price Healthy Care Deluxe Booster Seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Deluxe-Booster/dp/B0000DEW8N

This thing is great and comes in handy in a lot of situations.

Pennylane
05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I loved to receive gifts that I wouldn't have bought myself, like nice blankets or fun baby gifts that were not necessities. I guess it depends on the person though....If she is struggling financially, then the diapers would be a better choice.

Ann

mama2g03
05-09-2011, 05:07 PM
I have to say that I love the A & A swaddling blankets. I had blankets from the first two DC but I picked some up when I was pregnant with DD2. I love those blankets! I've used them more than any other blanket we have. I gave some as a gift to my neighbor when she had her DS2 and she loves them as well. I don't think you could go wrong with those especially for a first baby.

Roni
05-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I voted other. We have a million blankets. (Although the swaddlers and sleep sacks are cool--they didn't make those before, & I ended up actually buying some for my third.) Diapers would have been my first choice w/ my third, but with my first we needed everything, plus we didn't know what kinds of diapers worked best. We are a Pampers family all the way--I ended up feeling guilty passing off our unused Huggies to my cousin's wife, but I was thrilled to find out that those were the only diapers that worked for her baby.

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Not diapers. I was picky about my diapers- I only wanted things like 7th Generation, for example. So, Huggies and such would go unused for me. I'd donate them but they wouldn't really help me.

I'd be more inclined to choose something else. Bouncy seat, mobile crib toy, playmat, general receiving blankets, or something really cool you don't think she would know about. A gift basket of small favorites would be nice too (Baby Legs, a toy, a book...).

Beth

ashleybama24
05-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I would get the blankets and maybe even the book or DVD Happiest Baby on the Block so she realizes how wonderful swaddling can be!

happymom
05-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Not diapers. I was picky about my diapers- I only wanted things like 7th Generation, for example. So, Huggies and such would go unused for me. I'd donate them but they wouldn't really help me.

I'd be more inclined to choose something else. Bouncy seat, mobile crib toy, playmat, general receiving blankets, or something really cool you don't think she would know about. A gift basket of small favorites would be nice too (Baby Legs, a toy, a book...).

Beth

:yeahthat:. Besides, I think diapers are a practical gift for a second or third child- when the parents really don't need anything else. For a first child, there is so much else to buy! I like the idea about the FP Booster. A favorite of mine is the Munchkin Ducky Tub. I received it as a gift and loved it so much that I often give it as a gift now myself. Everyone I give it to ends up using it a ton and loving it. Its fun to give it with a matching ducky towel/wash cloths and a rubber ducky. You can also throw in some nice shampoo and lotions if you'd like. Just an idea.

katydid1971
05-09-2011, 05:33 PM
I got sooo many blankets for DC and who will remember getting a bag of diapers. I agree get her something that you used and loved like the bouncey seat, a carrier or the high chair PP mentioned. Personally I would get a hot sling or similar.

LadyPeter
05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
We got a lot of blankets, but our A+A swaddling blankets were the only ones we loved. So I voted blankets.

Other ideas - Boiron Camelia teething drops, Sophie the Giraffe teether, the Original Tummy Tub, California Baby bath stuff or a Sleepy Wrap.

BayGirl2
05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
We use cloth diapers so unless you are willing to buy the kind I want (which are on our registry) I would have prefeedr something else. It would be a hassle for me to end up with a bunch of 'sposies I don't want to use. (And a bit annoying since we made that choice clear to family and close friends.) Plus not so exciting as a first baby gift.

We have a ton of blankets but most were gifts and none were the muslin swaddling kind that we really needed. I had to buy those myself once I realized the difference.

ABO Mama
05-09-2011, 06:17 PM
A decent baby carrier, because many new moms think that baby carriers begin and end with the aweful bjorn.

AnnieW625
05-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I ended up ordering the blankets (and I had to order today so it would get here for sure this week!), but how oh how could I forget about the Fisher Price Healthy Booster Chair? (http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Deluxe-Booster-White/dp/B001GQ2RWQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1304979818&sr=8-4) :shake: :banghead:. Next to my strollers that thing has gotten oodles of use, and we are still using it with DD2, and it's on my go to registry items list when people ask about that stuff here.

Thank goodness for free baby returns at Amazon because I'll most likely head to Target and get her the chair as well as a set of bunches of bowls (another item that has gotten 4+ yrs. of use), and return the baby blankets.

I began to second guess the diaper thing because I remembered that I was fine not getting any diapers when DD1 was born. I just used the package of newborn diapers they sent me home with from the hospital and she ended up being a Pampers girl until she was in Cruisers. I do think that diapers are very particular and you just never know what's going to work, and how long a baby will be size N (my girls at least a month for DD2, and 2 mos. for DD1) or size 1s, etc. . Had she registered for cloth diapers and covers that would've been a no brainer for me, I would've picked those up with no second thoughts (I love cloth diapering, although we had to stop with DD2).

mom2khj
05-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Swaddling blankets. Diapers and wipes are a necessity but the swaddles would be a luxury someone might feel guilty about buying but would love as a gift.

:yeahthat:

ETA - just saw the update and yeah, I also like to give gifts for "later"!

fortato
05-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Diapers.... Size 1 diapers... I had a ton of size 2, and too many newborn- but not enough size 1's.

For some reason, I got a LOT of blankets. All kinds... cute but useless ones, knit, waffle weave, receiving, fleece, wool, cotton.... all brands.... and I ended up using the ones from the hospital- mostly because my kids hated being swaddled.

BabyH
05-09-2011, 07:17 PM
I vote neither as well.

I have a whole shelf of blankets, that obviously, I appreciated, but DS was born in April - I just had no need for that many baby blankets in late Spring and early Summer. I think the thing about baby blankets is they are just sooooo soft and irresistible. Everyone wants to give blankets!

As for diapers, idk, they are expensive and boring to buy, but it's your college roomie! Give her something more fun! My BFF had embroidered burp cloths from Etsy made when DS was born and they were adorable, and definitely one of my favorite gifts.

As far as my experience goes, I've decided that my "signature" (if you will) baby gift from now on will be books. Specifically, The Happiest Baby on the Block, The SleepEasy Solution and a variety of board books.

wildfire
05-09-2011, 07:24 PM
A decent baby carrier, because many new moms think that baby carriers begin and end with the aweful bjorn.

This gets my vote as well. I got a fab ringsling for my SIL and she loved it. I would've gotten one for my younger sister as well, but my older sister gave her an Ergo as a hand me down.

wellyes
05-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Thank goodness for free baby returns at Amazon because I'll most likely head to Target and get her the chair as well as a set of bunches of bowls (another item that has gotten 4+ yrs. of use), and return the baby blankets.

I vote go to Target and get a Moby wrap. The chair is nice, but she won't need it for months. And she probably has a high chair on her registry. She'd put the booster away somewhere and forget about it until the kid had half outgrown it (that's basically what I did!!)

A Moby is something new moms don't know to buy for themselves. But it's such a luxury to be hands-free with a newborn.

I also suggest giving a gift receipt with the wrap, that way she can swap it for diapers if she wants. It's a can't-lose gift.

goldenpig
05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I vote Primo Euro tub. Still using it every day for almost 4 years!

Mommy_Again
05-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get giving diapers as a gift. To me, a gift is something that serves as a reminder of our friendship whenever the recipient uses it. It should be special and lasting. I don't want to spend money on something that is going to get filled with poop and thrown away 2 hours later. I realize diapers are expensive and some people need help with even the most basic items, but then to me it seems like more of a donation than a gift.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd choose something a little more permanent, even it was practical (like a Diaper Genie or Bumbo).

vonfirmath
05-10-2011, 09:09 AM
I'd get something off her registry.

We got SO many blankets for our first baby -- Some were appreciated and used throughout. Others were barely touched. And yeah, some of the stuff that I had on my registry ended up not being as useful as I thought

The stuff that WAS the most appreciated though:
the car seat
Graco Snugrider stroller
Diaper changing pad "Kit" (this was used for the longest and we'll be using again with this kid)

Diapers -- every diaper I was given got used, which is more than I can say for many of the other gifts. And the ones in a diaper cake turned me on to checking out the Target diapers, which saved me a lot of money over the time my kid was in diapers.

I got sooo many blankets for DC and who will remember getting a bag of diapers. I agree get her something that you used and loved like the bouncey seat, a carrier or the high chair PP mentioned. Personally I would get a hot sling or similar.

*raises hand* I got 3 packages of Huggies diapers (size 2) from Karen C and the diaper cake was from Zarah and Susan S. Karen died of breast cancer when my son was 6 months old, and I still remember and appreciate the diapers she got for him. (She was also part of making a quilt. But that had problems and was unable to be used much so the diapers were actually the best deal)

The other gift I remember in detail was a whole BAG of stuff from Cherie W. There was a pkg of size 1 diapers, yes. But a bunch of other stuff too. I don't remember the details (other than a cute teething "doll") but I just remember I kept reaching my hand into the bag and coming out with yet ANOTHER thing to open! Oh and all the smaller gifts were gift wrapped individually!

vonfirmath
05-10-2011, 09:29 AM
What I tend to give as a shower gift (an assortment of the following depending on how close I am to the person)

Lamaze Freddy the Firefly
Moo Ba Lalala by Sandra Boynton or Doggies by Sandra Boynton
That's Not My <something> usborne book
JuJube Be Quick packed with a few newborn diapers, a small pkg of wipes, gas drops, Bumkins bib
a Snack Trap
Mommy Hook Stroller Hanger
baby sleep gown (the kind that you just pull up to change a diaper and then pull down again) -- invaluable in the floppy first stages.

AnnieW625
05-10-2011, 12:13 PM
I vote go to Target and get a Moby wrap. The chair is nice, but she won't need it for months. And she probably has a high chair on her registry. She'd put the booster away somewhere and forget about it until the kid had half outgrown it (that's basically what I did!!)

A Moby is something new moms don't know to buy for themselves. But it's such a luxury to be hands-free with a newborn.

I also suggest giving a gift receipt with the wrap, that way she can swap it for diapers if she wants. It's a can't-lose gift.

I did think about a carrier or sling, but my friend is 6 feet tall and overweight. I honestly have no idea what would work for her and I truly believe that a carrier is such a personal choice too kind of like the diapers.

I vote Primo Euro tub. Still using it every day for almost 4 years!

Love my Primo tub too and we live in a small house, it gets stored on our patio. DD2 is 1 and still uses it. I can see her using it until at least 2. That is a good option too. We had another tub with DD1 that I didn't like as much and of course she registered for a generic pink tub at Target that won't last nearly as long.

ETA: in regards to the BBB book I am not sure I am going to get that for her because she is about to have the baby, and the new Baby 411 book comes out in September. I also thought about the Dr. Sears Baby to 2 book.

luckytwenty
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I can't imagine surviving the newborn days without a swaddling blanket, but not everyone likes them. I sent my baby's hand me downs to my brother who just had a baby, and he and his wife didn't use them because they don't like swaddling. I think diapers are boring. I voted "other" because I'd probably go for a baby equipment essential in that case.

fortato
05-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Sophie. If I didn't find it for sale, I wouldn't have bought it.... I've gladly paid full price to buy it for a friend.

AnnieW625
05-16-2011, 12:08 PM
updated first post