PDA

View Full Version : Bath time question...

new_mom_mry
05-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I really could use some help with structuring DS's bath time in our new house (DS is 6 months old). At our old house we had a normal size tub and a very long bathroom counter, so we did all the diapering on a Cooshee pad in the bathroom, including the towel drying routine after taking him out of his bath tub which we would place in the big tub. DS loved this set-up and really enjoyed looking at himself in the mirror.

Anyway, we just moved to our new house, and the master bath has a shower over an extra large deep tub (meaning I cannot lean over to give DS a bath and someone actually has to get inside the tub with him) and no counter space at all for the Cooshee changer (two sinks instead with some space in between). Yesterday I got inside the bath tub with DS, gave him a bath, picked him up, got out of the bath all while holding him, somehow managed to put the towel around him, took him to his nursery, and got him dressed there on the changing table. Not safe at all...and sadly DH might not always be home for bath time, so I need to figure out a safer 1 person alternative.

Since there is probably no way of NOT getting inside the tub with DS while washing him, my main question is whether the others dry/dress the baby inside the bathroom or inside the nursery? I really like the idea of NOT having to take DS outside and instead having a place in the bathroom to lay him down...do I need a portable changing table or some other gadget?? Heeelp!!! :)

KrisM
05-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Could you put a towel on the floor and dry/dress him there? Can he sit on his own yet? If so, maybe have him sit in the tub while you get out and then get him out and put him on a towel to dress him.

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2011, 05:33 PM
When I would do baths with ds1 where I'd go in with him and dh wasn't home, I would put baby on a towel laid out on top of the bath mat before getting out of the tub myself, just in case I slipped standing up. Then we just got dressed and changed wherever it was convenient, like on my bed.

Beth

katydid1971
05-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Something that might work is if you get one of those inflatable tubs to put into the bath only fill it and then you can get into the tub but only DC get wet (if that makes sense). Since you won't be wet, you won't have to worry about slipping while holding DC.
http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-White-Hot-Inflatable-Duck/dp/B000066665/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304977190&sr=8-1

jvs195
05-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Our Kids get hooded towels at bath and get dressed in their rooms. Of course mine are older, but we've always done this - carried them to their changing table in the towel when they couldn't walk yet.

jgenie
05-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Our Kids get hooded towels at bath and get dressed in their rooms. Of course mine are older, but we've always done this - carried them to their changing table in the towel when they couldn't walk yet.

This is what we've always done.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-09-2011, 10:32 PM

:yeahthat: that's what we've always done (and still do) with DS (and DD). take them out of bath, put towel around them, and carry to their room to the changing table to get them dressed.

candaceb
05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
I wrap DS in a towel and then lay him on my bed for diaper, lotion, etc.

waitingforgrace
05-10-2011, 10:07 AM
We either lay DD down on a towel on the bathroom floor or take her to our bed and dry her off and get her dressed.

twowhat?
05-10-2011, 10:15 AM
When ours were really little we had the same problem - it was hard to reach over into the master bathtub. So - we did baths in the guest bathtub (which was a normal-sized bathtub) and wrapped them in hooded towels and took them to the adjacent guest bedroom and dressed them on the bed. We put an ultimate crib sheet or one of those crib-sized cotton waterproof pads on the bed first, and dressed baby on top of that to catch any accidents. Worked out well for us, and the bed is a good height for getting babies dressed. Once diapers were on, we let them roll around the rest of the bed for fun. Now that they're toddlers, potty-trained, and stable in the bathwater, I can bathe them in the master tub, and I dress them on our bed. I just have a big coverlet thrown over our duvet cover to keep lotion from getting all over it and I wash that once a week.

BabyBearsMom
05-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Our bathrooms are really small, so no space for changing. I lay out her towel before the bath. Then once the bath is done (when she couldn't stand), I laid her on the towel and wrapped her in it. Then I carry her into her bedroom and get her dressed in there on her changing table. Now that she can stand, I stand her up on the bathroom rug, and wrap her in the towel and carry her into her room.

new_mom_mry
05-10-2011, 01:00 PM
thanks everyone for your ideas!! Last night DH was home to help with bath time, and it worked out much better that way because he could just hand me DS, whom I proceeded to wrap in the towel and then take to the nursery to get dressed. I guess what I am wondering is whether there are any tricks to single-handedly taking the baby out of the bath tub AND wrapping him in the towel (vs. putting towel on the bath mat and then LO on the towel) for the mamas who said above they went that route. Once he knows how to stand up, it shouldn't be an issue to wrap the hooded towel around him of course...

twowhat?
05-10-2011, 01:04 PM
thanks everyone for your ideas!! Last night DH was home to help with bath time, and it worked out much better that way because he could just hand me DS, whom I proceeded to wrap in the towel and then take to the nursery to get dressed. I guess what I am wondering is whether there are any tricks to single-handedly taking the baby out of the bath tub AND wrapping him in the towel (vs. putting towel on the bath mat and then LO on the towel) for the mamas who said above they went that route. Once he knows how to stand up, it shouldn't be an issue to wrap the hooded towel around him of course...

This will depend on your bathtub situation, but in a normal regular-size tub, just sit on the edge, put towel on your lap, then put baby on your lap and wrap up. That's how I've always done it, and I still do it this way - the only difference being that my toddlers sit on my lap. You'll quickly figure out how best to arrange the towel/baby for wrapping.

Giantbear
05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
If you are worried about slipping, buy yourself some water shoes, they have great grip on the bottom and are meant for water.

SnuggleBuggles
05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
A hook beside the tub at a convenient level to hold a hooded towel or terry cloth bathrobe?

Beth

lowrioh
05-10-2011, 03:49 PM

I always thought these were cool....never used them but might be what you are looking for.
http://drysdaleandco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=319&zenid=03e3773671d12fc819677a572ec840fb

ETA: Here are some less expensive ones
http://www.etsy.com/listing/69310260/personalized-bath-apron-hot-pink?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_query=towel+apron&ga_noautofacet=1&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade%2Fchildren
http://www.etsy.com/listing/55599999/bath-time-apron?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=towel+apron&ga_noautofacet=1&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade%2Fchildren

sunnyside
05-10-2011, 07:00 PM
I put baby in the hooded towel and wrap her up in it and carry her to her room where I diaper her quick and then wrap her back up and usually nurse her while she's warming back up/drying the rest of the way off. When she's done I put her clothes or jammies on depending on the time. It's nice and cozy. I splurged on Little Giraffe bear ear fluffy towels and it really is super nice. I wish I had one LOL.

new_mom_mry
05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I put baby in the hooded towel and wrap her up in it and carry her to her room where I diaper her quick and then wrap her back up and usually nurse her while she's warming back up/drying the rest of the way off. When she's done I put her clothes or jammies on depending on the time. It's nice and cozy. I splurged on Little Giraffe bear ear fluffy towels and it really is super nice. I wish I had one LOL.

oooohhhh...love the LG towel idea!!! :) that's awesome that you are keeping your sweet girl so cozy!

pepa
05-11-2011, 02:16 PM

This its exactly what we do