PDA

View Full Version : You can't monopolize gym equipment!

Globetrotter
05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
I was doing the weight machines and an older woman (about 65-70?) was spending a lot of time on my favorite machine. I did extra circuits on other machines while I waited, thinking how impressed I was that someone her age was working out like that. She started doing free weights on this same machine, not actually using it the way it was intended. She could have done that elsewhere. After 15 minutes, I stood near the machine, thinking she would get the hint.

About five minutes later, she asked me if I was waiting so I said yes, thinking she would let me use it. She told me "I have a lot of leg exercises to do. I'll be on this for 15 more minutes." I was so surprised that I said ok and walked off to the locker room!
If she had been younger I might have said something, but I was really shocked. Then I thought I should give her a break because she is older.- not sure why that matters. There is a sign saying you have to take turns if someone is waiting for the machine.

What would you have done in this situation?

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2011, 06:48 PM
"Do you mind if I just pop on really fast because I only need it for 3 minutes?". I think I'd have said something like that- and mention that you had been waiting and could she perhaps do those exercises elsewhere if she didn't actually need the equipment? I can be kind of bitchy at the gym. ;)

Beth

dcmom2b3
05-09-2011, 07:07 PM
"Hi, I'd like to work in." "That means I do my set while you're resting from yours." Point to the sign. I have pressed it with her, and maybe with gym management, depending on my mood. People and their goofy self-absorbed workouts used to be a pet peeve of mine. She may be a little clueless about gym ettiquite (sp?) or she's an arse, but if she wants to treat something like its her own equipment, she should buy it and put it in her home.

Melanie
05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I think people used to ask me if they could "rotate in," in such occasions. And yes I found it annoying, b/c I only used a machine for 2-3 minutes tops, but it was a courteous question so I complied. So likely, that would have been what I would try.

wellyes
05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
She did free weights on a circuit machine? Not cool. I understand hesitating because of her age and because it's just a weird thing to do. But if it ever happens again, I'd just point her to the free weight section of the gym. Or, you know, any other circuit machine with a bench that didn't have people waiting to use it.

Globetrotter
05-10-2011, 11:47 AM
I think she realized I was irritated because she gave me an odd look as she left the gym. If it happens again, I will ask her if I can use it for 3 minutes.

You should see her. She has beautifully coiffed curls and always appears immaculate with makeup. I have never seen her otherwise! It's pretty amazing that she works out like this, but maybe she is clueless about the rules.

crl
05-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Does your gym have staff floating around? My Y usually has someone circulating to keep an eye on things. Maybe someone on the gym staff could politely give her a heads up on not monopolizing the equipment.

Catherine