PDA

View Full Version : This is Mother's Day? Really??? (longish vent I suppose)

MissAndi
05-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Hi All,

So, I did not have high hopes for Mother's Day, even though it was my first Mother's Day. My DH works shift work and of course had the midnight shift on Saturday night and finished up at work on Sunday morning, so he would sleep Sunday until 2pm. That's how it's been for the last month, so it's pretty normal, and I totally understand. We're on a tight budget at the moment, so I knew if there was a present, it would be small, but thoughtful.

but here's how it went:
Got out of bed 8am after nursing for a while to 3 wonderful cards. My DH had actually cut out poems about mothers and sons and pasted them into a Hallmark card. It was ridiculously sweet, and I loved it. He also got a card from our fur baby and himself. Both had sweet things to say. So, I thought, "maybe this day is going to be nice after all."

I tend to DS and do some laundry then, I strap DS to me in my handy-dandy Mei-Tai and we walk up the road to a bakery where DS (3 months old) "treats me to breakfast". Walk home. Open breakfast...wrong breakfast... DH now fussy and must eat and nap. Yay... Oh, well.. at least it was a pretty day and I got to take a walk.

2pm rolls around...and Dh still snoring. I poke my head in the door to rouse him (as I do most days at his request). No rousing... Let him sleep 30 more minutes... no rousing... then exploding diaper... 30 minutes later... still no rousing... dog needs to go out (did I mention he's a humongous lab with Marley-like tendencies???). So, strap fussy DS baby in again and out we go. Return to rouse...still no rousing. Exploding diaper, right all over me... Still no rousing...

5:45pm rolls around...and FINALLY! Rousing, sort of... mostly sleepyhead murmurings from bed with promises of getting up. 6:30pm...Finally! Movement! Oh, right, his phone rang and it was the flower delivery guy calling (who'd been calling since 1pm) for directions since apparently we don't show up on GPA. So, the flowers are nixed for me.

6pm...DH finally emerges in pajama pants and a tshirt complaining about the flower company.Asks if I got the cards, and continues to complain. Asks where I want to eat. DS, of course, is back to being fussy, so I just say he can go get take out bc at this point I'm tired and don't want to attempt going out... plus, we're never going to have time to go eat in time for DH to get to work that night. DS needs changing...DH changes it (this is a plus)

7pm...Dh goes to get takeout and returns and holds DS while I scarf down bbq that didn't turn out to be very good. The BBQ was my idea, as I really like BBQ. (DS does NOT like to be put down. He'll stand his bouncy chair for about 5 minutes, but that's it. BAH!)

7:10pm...I finish my meal, and take DS back. DH eats his food...still complaining about the flowers and goes to get ready for work.

9:00pm...DH leaves for work, and I still haven't had a shower.

Here's the thing... I totally understood and was completely fine with him sleeping his normal amount of time while I dealt with DS. I was completely fine with the yoga certificate he gave me (even though it was for 3 introductory classes and he knows I've been doing yoga for oh...10 years? But that's fine, b/c it still gets me out of the house with some time to myself once a week for 3 weeks. So, ok.).

But, really, he had to sleep until 6?? We couldn't go out to eat, or have something nice made here (we're both good cooks) b/c he slept so frigging long. Then, he couldn't shut up about the flowers??? If he was that upset by the flowers, why didn't he stop at the 5 grocery stores he passed and pick up a few stems?

So, in the end, I had to console him about the fact that my Mother's Day sucked. Not once did he apologize for sleeping so long that I was pretty much alone on Mother's Day, or the stupid flowers, or (and this is really the part that chaps my hide) that I had DS all day and NEVER GOT TO SHOWER.

If he had been unable to be here at all, that would be one thing. But that wasn't the case. He was just lazy and then wanted to be consoled for his failings. Seriously?? BAHH

Ok, feel better now. :)

infomama
05-10-2011, 12:57 AM
He should have gotten up. I know shift work very well and you can survive on a few hours less sleep.
I do think the card was pretty darn sweet though...enjoy your yoga.

MissAndi
05-10-2011, 01:08 AM
The card was SUPER sweet. And that is the reason why I haven't mentioned the fact that I never got to shower and I spent what little bit of the day I had with him, consoling him. I will enjoy the yoga, although the classes still confuse me, but at least it gets me a moment to myself, which is something I've not had for 3 months now at all.

infomama
05-10-2011, 01:13 AM
I would talk to your studio and change to your normal classes. No reason to go back to a basic class when you have been practicing for so long. I know I feel ripped off if my teacher does a less challenging class.

Melanie
05-10-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm sorry. I think it was understanding of you to expect he'd sleep in to his usual time, but sleeping beyond that was not very Mother's Day-like of him!

Don't worry, he'll get it right eventually. I had the PERFECT Mother's Day this year. My baby is 9 1/2 YEARS old. LOL. Not that they've all been bad or anything like that, it just took Dh a while to get it exactly right. ;)